Help me find restrooms on shore

My dh and I will be doing Copenhagen, Tallinn, Helsinki and Stockholm on our own. Does anyone have any suggestions for how and where to find public restrooms?

We always look for hotels, fast food restaurants, and department stores when in Europe. There is a restroom located in the main square in Talinn, just inside a shop that sold crystal. It was considered a public restroom. There is also a large shopping mall just before you head into old town in Talinn and the department store there also had public restrooms. We have been to all of the cities that you mentioned and had no problem finding restrooms. A few, however, do charge for the use so have some small coins with you.

My dh and I will be doing Copenhagen, Tallinn, Helsinki and Stockholm on our own. Does anyone have any suggestions for how and where to find public restrooms?

Copenhagen: The McDonald's across from Tivoli on Vesterbrogade has free restrooms, and so does the McDonald's on the Stroget very near the City Hall, but we found the restrooms in this second McDonald's to be not very clean. There is a Burger King on the Stroget right next to the McDonald's, but their restrooms were locked and you needed to get a key from the counter. If you visit Rosenborg Castle, there are free restrooms there.

Helsinki: The Rock Church has restrooms where you have to pay some money to a lady who sits outside them. In various locations in the city, there are restrooms in dark green free-standing structures, with the left side standing-only and free, while the right side gives you a seat for perhaps 0.5 Euros. Red and green lights on the door give you the status. In practice, when some locations are busy, people don't put in any coins and simply go in when the previous person comes out. There is one such structure on the pier in Market Square (right on the waterfront) opposite the Market Hall on . There are also free restrooms in the Stockman's Department Store, but you have to walk a bit from the entrance to reach them; you should ask a salesperson for directions; also, the men's and women's restrooms in the store are on alternate floors.

Stockholm: Make use of the free restrooms in the Vasa Museum and the Cathedral (Storkyrkan) in Gamla Stan. I presume that the City Hall and the Nobel Museum must also have restrooms, but we didn't go there. There is also a structure similar to those in Helsinki (with left and right sides) in Gamla Stan, but it can be hard to find. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of the streets there can post directions.

We had no problems finding washrooms, and we never did pay to use any of the washrooms we used in Copenhagen, Tallin, Stockholm and Helsinki. We went in department stores, and made sure that whenever we stopped for something to eat, that we used the washroom before departing the restaurant/cafe/market.

I am very particular about using public washrooms and I never had a problem finding a clean one in any of the cities listed above.

You can also do a search on this website, by the way:

http://www.thebathroomdiaries.com/

Stockholm:

Pay restrooms:

Åhlens department store, NK department store, Royal Palace gift shop.

Helsinki:

Free restrooms: Stockmann's departmetnt store (6th floor) , Sokos department store, Academic Bookstore (2nd floor).

There are some 30 dark green free-standing structures around the city.

Most important for the tourists might be:

- On market square near the old Market Hall.

- In esplanade park near the Swedish theatre.

Stockholm:

Helsinki:

Free restrooms: Stockmann's departmetnt store (6th floor) , ...

The restrooms in Stockmann's are not only on the 6th floor; they are on every floor starting from the 2nd floor up (using American-style floor numbering), and alternate for women and men, i.e., 2nd floor has women's, 3rd floor has men's, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived