Carnival Destiny Questions

polar_purple

Cruising newbie here, so forgive the naivete. We are sailing on the Destiny in November, out of Miami (of course), and had some questions.

1. Do you have to stand outside for any length of time, prior to boarding in Miami, or is it all enclosed? In other words...should I bring an umbrella?

2. What deck is the boarding done at in Miami? Do you board right into the main atrium?

3. We are considering several options for cabins (we need two fairly close to each other), and were wondering what prior passengers thought of them:

a - a pair of forward oceanview cabins on the Riviera deck

b - a forward balcony and a forward interior cabin (opposite each other) on the Empress deck

c - aft balcony on the Empress deck & an aft balcony on the Promenade deck (right above each other)

The first two choices are priced pretty much the same (when taken together), but the latter is far more expensive, so we may not be able to afford it. Regardless, are any of these cabin areas really bad for noise, seasickness, or whatever other issues?

Thank you in advance for your help!

If I was travelling with someone else, Id probably pick option a or b, not c. C on two different decks, you wouldnt be close enough to the stairs to run up and down.

Way forward or way aft you will get more motion. Most dont mind the motion, unless there is a bad storm, mid ship of course has the least motion.

If you are travelling with kids, give them the inside cabin across from your balcony. They usually are just happy to have their own cabin and will be in camp carnival unless they are older teens or adults themselves. They can always come to your cabin and hang out on the balcony too.

Cruising newbie here, so forgive the naivete. We are sailing on the Destiny in November, out of Miami (of course), and had some questions.

1. Do you have to stand outside for any length of time, prior to boarding in Miami, or is it all enclosed? In other words...should I bring an umbrella?

2. What deck is the boarding done at in Miami? Do you board right into the main atrium?

3. We are considering several options for cabins (we need two fairly close to each other), and were wondering what prior passengers thought of them:

b - a forward balcony and a forward interior cabin (opposite each other) on the Empress deck

c - aft balcony on the Empress deck & an aft balcony on the Promenade deck (right above each other)

The first two choices are priced pretty much the same (when taken together), but the latter is far more expensive, so we may not be able to afford it. Regardless, are any of these cabin areas really bad for noise, seasickness, or whatever other issues?

Thank you in advance for your help!

What day in November are you sailing? I'll be on Destiny on November 2.

If option C is too pricey, I wouldn't even consider it. Also, I prefer everyone on the same deck.

Who will be in these two cabins? I'm guessing the children wouldn't be in their own cabin alone on a separate decks. Option A would be great if you don't mind not having a balcony (not a big deal to me to have one). Option B is good if you want the balcony and have the interior for the kids.

In addition to our two children, my mother-in-law is also travelling with us. The initial idea is that my wife & I will be in one cabin, and the MIL and boys will be in another. However, I'd expect that one or both boys will spend at least a night or two with us.

As far as the aft balcony cabins go, a stairwell is just a few steps from our cabin doors, so in reality, they are very close.

jerseygirl - we're sailing on 11/21.

In addition to our two children, my mother-in-law is also travelling with us. The initial idea is that my wife & I will be in one cabin, and the MIL and boys will be in another. However, I'd expect that one or both boys will spend at least a night or two with us.

As far as the aft balcony cabins go, a stairwell is just a few steps from our cabin doors, so in reality, they are very close.

jerseygirl - we're sailing on 11/21.

Awww....too bad. We're on the 11/2 sailing. It's me, DH and 5 y/o SD. My mother, aunt and 6 y/o brother. My MIL and FIL.

I really do prefer everyone on the same deck, but I wouldn't want to put my MIL in an interior. So that would be out. I'd probly do the two OV to save money.

Awww....too bad. We're on the 11/2 sailing. It's me, DH and 5 y/o SD. My mother, aunt and 6 y/o brother. My MIL and FIL.

I really do prefer everyone on the same deck, but I wouldn't want to put my MIL in an interior. So that would be out. I'd probly do the two OV to save money.

Yah, that would've been nice if we were on the same cruise! I see your hometown is Newark - I remember staying at an Embassy Suites, there, on the way to Ocean City, NJ. My children thought the "blue hen" mascot was pretty cool at the stadium across the street.

As far as the interiors go, we were initially going to get all interiors to save $$. However, my wife is claustrophobic, so I didn't want to risk a problem not having at least a window (even if it doesn't open) in that small space. My MIL wouldn't object to the interior, as she's very easy-going, this is her first cruise & we're paying for the entire trip. Thus, I'm sure she'd be fine with it - the only thing she asked for is that our cabin is reasonably close to her & the boys.

As far as the interiors go, we were initially going to get all interiors to save $$. However, my wife is claustrophobic, so I didn't want to risk a problem not having at least a window (even if it doesn't open) in that small space. My MIL wouldn't object to the interior, as she's very easy-going, this is her first cruise & we're paying for the entire trip. Thus, I'm sure she'd be fine with it - the only thing she asked for is that our cabin is reasonably close to her & the boys.

Well you're MIL is better than mine in that aspect, LOL. Originally I booked 3 OV, but my MIL wanted a BL so I upgraded everyone to BL to be on the same deck. My SD will between my cabin and the in-laws so I wanted them nearby. I say go for whatever is best for your budget. I don't know about the thruster noise.

Thanks! I see the entry deck is #3 (main lobby), but is the area covered or are you out in the open at all?

Sounds to me as if it would have to be covered, as that's probably higher than dock level on the ship, but just wanted to make sure.

You should only have to worry about waiting outside if you get to the terminal WAY early. If they're still debarking the previous cruise you may not be allowed in the terminal and have to line up outside.

Once you're in the terminal, the gangway for boarding the ship itself is covered.

I just got off the Destiny on 7/28. Please let me know if you have any questions. You wait inside, and we were on the ship by 11:30!

Where was your cabin? Would you think there are any "outside issues" (i.e. noise, seasickness, etc.) to any of my three options? We're leaning towards A or B right now, but just want to make sure.

Did you have any coffees from the specialty coffee shop (name?)? How much & how good were they, if so?

You should only have to worry about waiting outside if you get to the terminal WAY early. If they're still debarking the previous cruise you may not be allowed in the terminal and have to line up outside.

Once you're in the terminal, the gangway for boarding the ship itself is covered.

Thanks for the info! We're going on down the night before for this pre-Thanksgiving cruise (full cruise?). Any idea what would be a good time to make it to the port to check-in, as to avoid major lines?

We were in Cabin 1309 it was an inside 1A, and I was very pleased with it. It was almost right near the back of the ship. I was very nervous since we have only stayed miship before since I was nervous about getting sea sick. I did not feel a thing! I did take a Bonnie 1x a day and a ginger pill at Breakfast Lunch and Dinner, and it was fine. After you pass trough security, you head upstairs and the give you a zone number. We were zone 12 (so imagine the amount of people there before us, and we did not get there until 10:30 or so. Once they start calling the zones it moves fairley fast. They do it in groups 1-4, 5-10 and so on. Hope that helps!

As to the coffee shop, I am not sure of the name, but mom was to lazy to go to the Lido deck 9 for the free coffee, so she went to the little bistro. Regular coffee was $1.75. In the Sun and Sea resturant, on the corner there is a coffee stand that also sells the fancy ones. I did terat myself to a yummy latte with a shot of vanilla. That cost me $3.75. But coffee, tea, lemonade and some other juices are free 24hrs a day on deck 9. You can also get yummy cappucinos free at diner!

ALSO.....BE AWARE

As to the coffee shop, I am not sure of the name, but mom was to lazy to go to the Lido deck 9 for the free coffee, so she went to the little bistro. Regular coffee was $1.75. In the Sun and Sea resturant, on the corner there is a coffee stand that also sells the fancy ones. I did terat myself to a yummy latte with a shot of vanilla. That cost me $3.75. But coffee, tea, lemonade and some other juices are free 24hrs a day on deck 9. You can also get yummy cappucinos free at diner!

ALSO.....BE AWARE THAT GETTING AROUND THE SHIP IS NOT EASY! AND THE STAFF IS NOT THAT FRIENDLY! EXCEPT LEO IN THE UNIVERSE DINING ROOM. HE WAS THE BEST

Cruising newbie here, so forgive the naivete.

1) miami is a pretty new / modern, and nice terminal... the only time you need to stand outside is right after dropping your bags with the porter. they check your id / passport, etc. as you're entering the building, which does not take very long. if a big group of people (think buses) are arriving at the same time, this could back up a little - but i'd wager no more than a few minutes at worst. so no umbrella required :cool:

2) you embark / disembark on deck 3 / lobby deck, right into the main atrium while in miami. when embarking / disembarking on the islands, you do so via deck 0 (1 deck below riviera deck) regardless of whether it's a tender or dock port.

3a) if you're considering the oceanview staterooms - i would highly recommend connecting cabins! there are several of these on riviera and main decks, and even if you had to move mid-ship, etc. the cost should be minimal, and in my opinion totally worth it! i had a connecting cabin on destiny, and it was stellar - we propped the door open at all times, and it was like having one very large 440 sq ft suite!

talking about square footages - that's something to consider in your cabin comparison. oceanview cabins on the destiny and similar ships (conquest, 'triumph', splendor, dream) are a standard 220 sq ft - that's the largest standard cabin size short of a suite. balcony cabins are 185 sq ft (+ 35 sq ft balcony, for a total of 220 sq ft). basically, oceanview cabins allocate the space for the balcony, to inside the room. they're very roomy and the difference is notable!

3b) the balcony / interior arrangement is a good one - if you want a balcony, this would be the way to go in my opinion! it'd be most convenient, and you'd be closer than option c. additionally, empress deck is between 2 passenger decks, so noise should be minimal here.

3c) i can't really see much benefit to this arrangement. i think the differing floors thing would be a little inconvenient. why not consider getting 2 aft balconies that are NEXT to each other? you may even be able to open the divider between them, to make one big balcony. that's what i'd recommend if you go the aft route.

hope that helps! there's a bunch of destiny info / capers / shopping guides etc. in my review, linked in my signature, if you wanna take a look :D

I hope Falkcor finds this thread. He's the Destiny expert.

hehe, thanks for that. just wait until i've been on more ships! :cool:

Archived