Packing for a family of four to Alaska...this can't be right

Pauline, looks like you pared down your packing quite nicely. I will pack a similar list but I don't do turtlenecks.:eek: I will wear a skort/skirt and tshirt for boarding since it also works for dinner in the dining room. I will just add a sweater if it is chilly. We have had a major heatwave this summer so I don't expect it to be too cold.

I'm on the Diamond, sailing the same day as the OP. If we can rely on the weather reports (and we all know how accurate those are), we're looking at rainy days with highs in the 60s and lows in the 50s. Not too cold, but not too warm, either.

I know I'm overpacking, but I'm doing my best to get everything in one bag. I hate lugging lots of luggage, and I really hate the new airline fees.

Mary Ellen, I'm taking a 3-in-1 jacket. It was highly recommended by folks who've done this trip before. If it's too much, I guess I'll be looking for a rain poncho in one of the ports.

Not a mini, not a balcony but the inside:eek:

I have to be more practical. I was using a list from a post but it's not for us and less so with 4 in a cabin.

Wish you were on the Infinity to Alaska. I like your humor! I have decided to wear black and white on the cruise and mix and match. My motto is that if someone is offended enough by what I wear, perhaps they will take me ashore and buy something for me that is to their liking.

Have a great trip.

Pauline -

On an Alaska Cruise, everyone is too busy gaping, oohing and aahing at the spectacular scenery to pay any attention to you, no matter how lovely you are. Even at dinnertime, it will still be broad daylight and everyone will be looking out the windows!

You can wear the same gown to both formal nights easily. If you're doing traditional dining, do one formal night in your dining room and one in anytime dining. Or do one formal night in MDR and do the buffet instead of going formal on the second formal night.

Gear some of your clothing to your excursions. Walking on a glacier is much different from walking around in the "rain forest" that is Ketchikan.

Layer with items that are bulky by weave, not by weight. Trapped air is a great insulator. Keep your extremities warm and dry and the rest of you will be comfortable.

And all previous posters are 100% correct...lol

Hi,:) I agree with the other gals. You really, really don't have to bring

7 gowns.

I enjoy dressing up for dinner but I only bring 2 formal outfits

for the formal nights. The other evenings I wear matte jersey

type dresses or slacks and tops that all pack easily:)

I am going to Alaska in 5 weeks and it will be my 3rd time:D

I bring one checked bag and one carry-on and always have

enough clothing and have never exceeded the weight limit!:)

I have one of those 3-in-1 jackets with a fleece layer that I can wear alone, and an outer layer that's sort of weather-proof, but not as good as a rain slicker. Do I need the rain slicker, or will the jacket I've described work? How warm do the gloves & hat need to be? I've got some fairly lightweight ones that work well here for our mild Atlanta winters. Will those work in AK in the summertime?

Love the idea to pack lots of black...

Thanks cruisers!

Mary Ellen

Our one and (so far) only cruise was to Alaska in late August. The only time we found it to be cold was when we were on the bow (on a RCCL ship) for a couple hours approaching the glacier. It was COLD. We were glad for our 3 in ones...hubby had a fleece-lined layer, and mine had a thin down-filled layer. We also had gloves and scarves.

And that was IT for our warm outerwear. I do believe we had one long-sleeved cotton shirt each, and the rest was just short sleeves.

We even found ourselves sweating a lot of the time, but probably most of the time we just wore the outer shell of our 3-in-1 jackets.

OP if you're leaving soon, and if you're leaving from WA or BC (I don't know where Princess leaves from), note how hot it has been up here. Be sure you have something that you won't be incredibly hot in. Thankfully it's cooled down, but we were hitting the 100s for 2 days, which is very very weird for up here.

We just returned from Alaska on Monday after having done a B2B on the Coral. My luggage was under the 50lb limit and I packed the following: 2 pairs of capri pants, 2 pairs of jeans, one brown and one blue, 1 pair of navy cotton slacks, 1 pair of velour "sweat" type pants, (great on our sea days). 6 short sleeve tee shirts, only wore 1 of them, for layering under a wool blend sweater. 4 long sleeve tee shirts, 3 light weight cotton sweaters. For evening I had, 3 pairs of slacks and 6 different tops that I alternated. Formal nights (we had 4) 2 dressy black pantsuits with 1 additional top. All weather jacket, gloves, and scarf. Wore my leather tennis shoes to fly, packed an additional pair of Reboks for trips into ports, and 3 pairs of sandles, 1 dressy black pair, 1 black pair for smart casual, 1 pair of brown for smart casual. If I was going again I would leave out several of the short sleeve tees, and 1 pair of slacks for evening and just wear the black and gray slacks, adding maybe 1 additional top or so to go with them.

Women were dressed nicely on the formal nights, but many did wear their outfits more than once. I too was very stressed about the weight limit, I even went so far as to make a list of what was in the suitcase so I would pack it correctely on the last day. We had 2, 29" pieces, a garment bag and 1 carry on each.

My husband on the other hand only wore shorts and tee shirts, he did add his wind breaker while viewing the glaciers and in Juneau because of a light rain. For the evening he was in Dockers and polo shirts and his suit for formal night.

The main thing is to enjoy the cruise, Alaska is amazing!

This is mostly mine:eek:

I need to do some major repacking because this is not everything

Shorts and tank tops might not be necessary. It's hard to think cold or layered when it's 99 degrees outside :-)

2601406100101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Check the weather on www.weather.com a couple of days before leaving. Unless you are freezing when the temps are merely down to the low 70's, you are definitely overpacking the heavy stuff.

Packing for Alaska was our biggest challenge yet, we had 4 to pack for as well. We did it in one suitcase each and a carry on each, it still seemed like a mountain of luggage as that is 8 suitcases altogether.

Don't take extra shoes (people say take 2 pair in case one gets wet) we never needed them and the space 4 pair of shoes took up (3 of us have big feet) could have cut our packing down a lot. Don't take a pair of long pants for every day, but do pack some shorts and short sleeved T's or tops.

It is not winter weather in Alaska in summer, they do have a summer too! It may be a bit cooler than where you live, but it definitely is not freezing. You won't really need jackets, but you will need a raincoat. You don't need to take fleece pants, you will roast in those. Two pair of jeans for each person is plenty. Lightweight pants will work as well as capris And...you don't need gowns for every night.

I'm sure there are a whole lot of people that left or are leaving out of Vancouver this week who will be shocked the temps are in the 80's. Ketchikan is mostly clear with temps in the mid 70's, same with Juneau. Seattle is in the 80's right now. I'd not be surprised to hear back from people who were sweaty and hot their entire Alaska cruise this week.

Pauline -

On an Alaska Cruise, everyone is too busy gaping, oohing and aahing at the spectacular scenery to pay any attention to you, no matter how lovely you are. Even at dinnertime, it will still be broad daylight and everyone will be looking out the windows!

You can wear the same gown to both formal nights easily. If you're doing traditional dining, do one formal night in your dining room and one in anytime dining. Or do one formal night in MDR and do the buffet instead of going formal on the second formal night.

Gear some of your clothing to your excursions. Walking on a glacier is much different from walking around in the "rain forest" that is Ketchikan.

Layer with items that are bulky by weave, not by weight. Trapped air is a great insulator. Keep your extremities warm and dry and the rest of you will be comfortable.

And all previous posters are 100% correct...lol

Just to let you know, I seek the attention from only one person. I have it no matter what I am wearing or where I am. For him less is way more;) Other than that I dress for myself. I need to try something different because I am about to enjoy a vacation that is different. Living in the desert, the term layers is quite foreign. To get at lesat 2 pretty dresses in , I promise to leave anything that is not apart of my cruise contract;) I am learning that the luggage holds a lot more when you put the right things in.

I do appreciate the advise from everyone.

Pauline, I didn't realize we're practically neighbors, I'm up in Apple Valley. I only wish I was going to Alaska in a week for some cooler weather. Our cruise to Alaska was much less formal than the other cruises I've been on. Plus, DH hates fancy food and hates to dress up, so we never ate in the MDR at all. You are going to love Alaska!

Seven days to go, so I am starting to pack. It one of the most depressing pre-vacation feeling. I have a 12x13 room that is filled with clothes. Following basic guidelines I need half of my closet, plus the clothes are dull and ugly. Sweat pants, fleece, gloves, jackets, jeans, rain coat, long pants....yuck! I am feeling cold looking at a backless gown, even thought the temperature is 99 degrees today. Just shoes, we are up to 17 pairs. That's 2 for excursions in case one gets wet, 1 dress but at least 2 for me, 1 pair flip flops. This is before the 7 gowns for me, at least 2 foo-foo dresses for DD, 2 nice slacks, dress shirt and ties for DS, and suit of DH. Majority of the clothes we will never wear again because we are desert rats. I feel like I am suffering from APD - Alaska Packing Disorder:D

How do you get around all these clothes for 4 people.

See, right away get rid of the extra shoes because one pair may get wet. That cuts 17 down to 13...wear the same shoes for formal nights, cut out a pair there. Same with casual nights. So, go right back to your closet and start rethinking your whole packing scheme.

Leave the gloves at home, if you need them at all, it will be for 2 hours at the glacier, we just stuck our hands in our pockets. Leave the sweat pants at home and replace them with shorts!

Why do you need 7 gowns?????

See, right away get rid of the extra shoes because one pair may get wet. That cuts 17 down to 13...wear the same shoes for formal nights, cut out a pair there. Same with casual nights. So, go right back to your closet and start rethinking your whole packing scheme.

Leave the gloves at home, if you need them at all, it will be for 2 hours at the glacier, we just stuck our hands in our pockets. Leave the sweat pants at home and replace them with shorts!

Why do you need 7 gowns?????[/quote]

According to DH, I have lost my mind:D

I enjoy dressing up but I think packing smater means leaving those in the closet. I am focusing on mix and match, cute but comfortable clothing. This thread has helped a lot.

I am down to half already.

Pauline - you've made me laugh out loud!!! Our first cruise to AK, I waaaaaayyyy overpacked. Learned the hard way coming back with souveniers having to pay for our overweight luggage:o - duh! So, last year, when we went back again, we packed smarter AND we took advantage of the ship's onboard laundry service. On HAL, they charged us $45.00 for the week - unlimited laundry. It was great!!! Sent it out one morning, it was back the next. Twice we went it out in the morning and it was back that evening! Can't beat the price!

We cut way back on what we took this second time - three pairs of jeans (wore one for boarding), swimsuit, one pair of shorts, one hooded waterproof jacket, one hooded sweatshirt, three longsleeved tee-shirts or oxford blouses, two teeshirts (also bought several in ports), flipflops for the pool/spa, sneakers, flats, and waterproof hiking shoes for excursions. Thats it. We had decided before hand that we weren't interested in formal nights - just not our thing - so we either ate in the Lido (wonderful!) or got room service and ate on our balcony (also wonderful!). Now it sounds like you enjoy formal nights, but you can still pack for those by mixing and matching - maybe a pair of black slacks and a sparkly top for one night, then a cocktail dress for the other. Jeans are always fine in the Lido, and we also noticed that in Alaska, many wore jeans even in the dining room on smart casual nights (mind you, NICE jeans with a pretty blouse, heels and a belt). Plus, you KNOW you're going to end up buying a sweatshirt or teeshirt in port, so cut down on those things, particularly for the kids. Roll the jeans to fit them in better, same goes for tees and sweatshirts. Wear your heaviest shoes on the plane - yeah, its a pain, but wearing my waterproof shoes on the plane probably cut down on the weight of my luggage by several pounds - LOL!! Those suckers are heavy!

You can do this girl! You've already cut back since your first post. Now breathe....in, out, in out. There - better? You are going to be so blown away by Alaska - it is magnificent, you'll forget all about fussing over what to pack and what to wear. Trust me - you'll go back - again, and again - we did! Enjoy your trip and please be sure to post a review when you return! We all wanna hear about how you didn't wear half the clothes you packed! Happy sailing!:p

Why do you need 7 gowns?????[/quote]

According to DH, I have lost my mind:D

I enjoy dressing up but I think packing smater means leaving those in the closet. I am focusing on mix and match, cute but comfortable clothing. This thread has helped a lot.

I am down to half already.

Whatever you end up packing, have a marvelous Alaska cruise, you will love it :)

Pauline,

We are cruising in 7 days like you are. My parents are also with us. Mom called this morning, she says the week will be between 60-65. She lives in Orange, CA so might be more used to cold. But you might want to bump up the warm stuff and leave the light stuff. My folks have done Alaska every year for 15 years she is pretty spot on with the weather.

Pauline,

We are cruising in 7 days like you are. My parents are also with us. Mom called this morning, she says the week will be between 60-65. She lives in Orange, CA so might be more used to cold. But you might want to bump up the warm stuff and leave the light stuff. My folks have done Alaska every year for 15 years she is pretty spot on with the weather.

Ula (that's was my favorite Aunt's name)

With all the foo-foo clothes and extra shoes gone, it getting much easier to take extra warm things. I started with 17 pairs of shoes and 7 gowns:eek:

I am down to 2 dresses, 3 pairs of slacks, 3 pair of jeans, and a nice selection of tops (warm and dressy), 3 pairs of shoes, fleece jacket/rain coat plus gloves.I might trade the 3.5' heels for a pretty pair of sandals that I can wear the entire week. I better stop this before I am tempted to forgo formal night.

Ula (that's was my favorite Aunt's name)

With all the foo-foo clothes and extra shoes gone, it getting much easier to take extra warm things. I started with 17 pairs of shoes and 7 gowns:eek:

I am down to 2 dresses, 3 pairs of slacks, 3 pair of jeans, and a nice selection of tops (warm and dressy), 3 pairs of shoes, fleece jacket/rain coat plus gloves.I might trade the 3.5' heels for a pretty pair of sandals that I can wear the entire week. I better stop this before I am tempted to forgo formal night.

Oh, what's one pair of 3.5" heels?! I found a great packing idea on TV when I was watching how the Buckingham Palace staff packs the clothes of the guests when they are leaving. They wrap all of the clothes in tissue paper. I went to the dollar store and bought 3 packs and have been busy packing my clothes and it is wonderful! I'll bet it cuts down significantly on wrinkles. I just lay out a silky blouse, for instance, place a piece of tissue paper over it, fold it, place another piece of tissue paper over it and finish folding.

Try it.

Oh, what's one pair of 3.5" heels?! I found a great packing idea on TV when I was watching how the Buckingham Palace staff packs the clothes of the guests when they are leaving. They wrap all of the clothes in tissue paper. I went to the dollar store and bought 3 packs and have been busy packing my clothes and it is wonderful! I'll bet it cuts down significantly on wrinkles. I just lay out a silky blouse, for instance, place a piece of tissue paper over it, fold it, place another piece of tissue paper over it and finish folding.

Try it.

Thank you, this is still a cruise. Nothing is sexier than a lovely pair of high heels. Before long I could be telling myself there is no room for the magical gelled wonder bra, that turns bowling pins into Bombay mangoes. :-)

I apologize if you were not ready for all this information:eek:

Thank you, this is still a cruise. Nothing is sexier than a lovely pair of high heels. Before long I could be telling myself there is no room for the magical gelled wonder bra, that turns bowling pins into Bombay mangoes. :-)

You mean we all don't cruise with that bra? I have three of them. First time in Alaska I was looking for a microwave to heat it up with. It was cold. They weigh nothing. Bring it.

Look cutting back does not mean you leave the bra that lifts and builds home.

Funny!

Pauline,

Keep checking the weather before you leave. It's not exactly accurate, but you will get a trend since the weather can change from the 10 day forecast.

As of today, 10 days from now it is forecast 73 and raining in Vancouver, 67 In Juneau, 63 and rainy in Ketchikan, 67 and cloudy in Anchorage, 61 and sunny in Sitka. Those numbers can and will change. For me, temps in the 60's is comfortable, maybe a long sleeved shirt or a very light sweater. A raincoat should be lightweight, those with zip-out linings work great, so you don't have to swelter just because it's raining.

Nice paired down list. We just came back from our Alaskan Cruise on the 19th of July. Being a S. FL girl I found it to be very cold on all 3 of our excursions since they all were on boats: Whale Watching, Coast Wild Life, etc. so take that in account when packing also. I took Gallon baggies and pack outfit, bra and panties for each day, then folded to get all the air out of it and have to say that it worked wonderfuly. It really did keep the wrinkleing down. As for the Formal Nights I wore dress pants and a very nice dress top and didn't feel out of place at all. As for shoes I wore my FITFLOPS the whole time on the ship since it is warmer inside, dress shoes for formal night and shoes for the excursions.

HTH and have a great Cruise.

Pauline,

I packed this morning and my case weighs 34 pounds. It does have formal wear. And I did add a few extras. I think we have been on enough cruises now that we can leave the kitchen sink at home. But good thing there were no luggage restrictions on our first cruise. Think Steamer Trunk packing.

I don't know if I'll be of any help, since I'm just like you. Last cruise, I took 13 pairs of shoes-just for me (Caribbean cruise). However, I've cruised Alaska twice and each time only took three dresses-with three pairs of heels to match all three. I took dresses much like yours in your pics and found that they don't take up much space or weight. I say take the dresses.

Like you, we live in a warm climate and wear shorts and flip flops all year round. You each need only a lightweight fleece jacket and one pair of sturdy shoes for excursions (sneakers will do). I don't think waterproof is going to be an issue. Be prepared for rain though-it's so unpredictable up there-maybe a lightweight rain jacket for each. The rain jackets can be layered over the fleece if it happens to be cold as well.

Also, take all of your good lingerie. I always do. It doesn't take up much space and I love having it to wear. I just couldn't cruise without my stuff. Have a great cruise Pauline!

Now that I have a clear idea of what I need, gelled bra included, there is room for a few extras. I am now working on choosing the right expandable pocket kook. Yes, expandable from cute and dainty to backpack. One can only contain mother nature for so long. When something gives...aka the bra strap, I will need some place to put it before making it back to the cabin. Don't' let the size fool you:D

2990386230101627832S200x200Q85.jpg

Archived