Going to be cruising Asia on Princess when we need to book air with FF miles

Sandy R

This only happened to us once before and I had one of my adult kids do it. Worked out okay but I worried like crazy until I knew it was done. I do have an oversees phone # to call AA but I won't know until the day I try, if it will work. Would love to hear how others handled this situation. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

I used the internet from the ship. I went on a minute or two after midnight at 335 days out. It worked out OK. I was lucky we were not in a "no service" zone. This was just shortly after American allowed FF miles to be used for booking on the internet.

I'm not sure what the question is?

When I booked a cruise, last year, and used FF miles, I had to use the partner airlines.

My online TA held my cruise booking and then I called the airlines, set up the dates and time, and then called the TA back to process the booking.

It was a snap.

I'm not sure what the question is?

When I booked a cruise, last year, and used FF miles, I had to use the partner airlines.

My online TA held my cruise booking and then I called the airlines, set up the dates and time, and then called the TA back to process the booking.

It was a snap.

I was confused when I first read it too, but now I understand what the poster is asking. They will aboard a ship cruising in Asia when the time comes for them to book air (for another trip) using their FF miles. When using miles I too like to jump in on the first eligible day, which is 331 with Delta.

I had to do that in 2007 for my flight to Copenhagen in 2008. I stood outside WalMart in Hawaii using a pay phone and made that call. Got my booking and it was business class too.

Last year, we used FF miles to travel to Australia (free stopover in HK), next year (open jaw) to Chile returning from Argentina. Did all this on-line on my Alaska Airlilne account but traveled on their partner airlines -very little tax incurred. Book as early as possilbe and flexibility is key.

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear... we'll be cruising in Asia when the 330 days come around to book a flight for another upcoming cruise. Never thought about using the internet cafe on the ship. Problem is, I won't know if there will even be internet reception when I need to book. As I mentioned, the airline did give me a phone number to use in Asia, but again, until I'm there, I have no idea if it is a viable phone number. Maybe the best alternative is to have my adult son say he's DH and book the air for us.

Sandy: Last month, I booked an award ticket from US to Asia for my (out of town) mom using her NWA FF miles account. Did this online but had to call the airline as I didnt see the connections she wanted. I told the reservation lady I was doing this on behalf of my mom, she didnt seem too concern. Make sure you give whomever doing the reservation your airline account number, and other pertinent info. The taxes, fees, etc, was charged against my credit card. The confirmed flight info was emailed to me within a few hours. By the way, the airline will hold a reservation up to 24 hours without charge. Thereafter, changes I believe will cost $100. Hope this helps.

I actually did it once from my cell phone while on Gatun Lake while transiting the Panama Canal (it was 330 days pre-flight). I kept getting cut off...it was horrible, I was stressing because I knew it was costing us $2.59 a minute, and everytime I had to start over with a new agent, I cringed. But we got it done. My cell phone bill was over $200 for those calls alone, but (then) Cingular gave us a nice credit back, since it was obvious that my call kept getting interrupted. And we had the flights we wanted. If someone will do it for you, that would definitely be best.

(I'm assuming you're talking about an international flight that can't be booked online...although even those are getting a bit easier to book).

I just did business class to Asia about 140 days out...no problem........

Some routes and classes are more popular than others and will "sell out" the first day they are available. Others may be available until a few weeks before the flight.

You were one of the lucky ones.

I've used most of the Asia numbers that AA has, and they all work. If you are off the ship that day and in an internet cafe, you can use Skype on the regular (or Elite number if you are an AA Gold/Platinum/Executive Platinum) 800 number and book that way.

You might try and get a non toll free number to call, in case the toll free number doesn't work from where and how you are dialing. If you have problems in making the call it would probably be that the toll free number won't work from where you are calling from.

Archived