Ships & Flu

alohadad

If any HAL ship's come down with HiNi "swine flu" will you still cruise?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. If any HAL ship's come down with HiNi "swine flu" will you still cruise?

• Only if you received a large discount
    • No, not at all
    • If you were able to get a H1N1 shot before

I don't think so.

I took a Celebrity cruise after the ship had gone through 2 consecutive cruises w/ Noro - and wouldn't you know it, despite leaving the ship after only 2 days aboard I took a taxi home, went to bed for a nap and woke up w/ Noro.

Yes. I don't think it's a real threat - I'm still of the view that it's a media-induced pandemic. Maybe that view will change at some point, but I don't think so.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Couldn't vote.

My choice isn't there.

Yes -- we would still sail.

And we are not going to get the swine flu shot this fall -- have no idea how it will react with DH's 13 medications -- vaccine is still not tested and approved for all situations.

Have been on quite a few ships when they were either under Code Red or went into Code Red with Norwalk Virus -- and all those ships were HAL!!

Did I read here that someone thinks it's a media-induced illness. Well. Um. It's actually a pandemic in full force but what do they know really? Maybe they made it up. Kind of fiction and all that and the earth is not really round did you know that? Thanks for the shot when it's offered, thank you very, very much.

ttyl.

love, Susie

I would sail.

Further, I have no intention of getting the standard seasonal flu shot. Nor do I plan to get the H1N1 shot if/when it's available.

Never had a flu shot in all my adult life ... and had only one case of flu in the past 40 years. Not going to spoil my nearly flu-free record.

on Zaandam, May 29-June 5, returned to Seattle with confirmed reports of "swine flu" on board. We did not think that much about it. In any gathering of 1200+ people there will be incidents of illness. That strain of flu has been found to be a serious threat only to those with already compromised health.

All those coming on board for the next cruise were notified and given the option not to board. It is my understanding that few made that choice.

So, I would agree that to be a valid poll, there must be an option for those who would proceed as booked, not expecting cost offsets. If I were truly that frightened, I would not go -- but I am not, and would board and sail away expecting to have a fabulous time, as usual.

Did I read here that someone thinks it's a media-induced illness. Well. Um. It's actually a pandemic in full force but what do they know really? Maybe they made it up. Kind of fiction and all that and the earth is not really round did you know that? Thanks for the shot when it's offered, thank you very, very much.

ttyl.

love, Susie

Speaking of shots - this is quite a cheap one don't you think? The OP asked us to vote in a poll (albeit a somewhat flawed one), no one asked for a rant.

Valerie

ttyl.

love, Susie

Dear Susie, I'm not quite as ill-informed as you might think. Yes, there are cases of H1N1 at various locations around the world, but so are there cases of other communicable diseases i.e. norovirus. I said I believed it was a media-induced pandemic in that the media reports always seem to be sensationalizing the severity of the cases. In the grand scheme of things there have been relatively few deaths attributed to the H1N1 virus. There are far more people dying in automobile accidents on a daily basis than from the H1N1, and yet they haven't suggested it's an automotive death pandemic and implemented a ban on driving.

" Kind of fiction and all that and the earth is not really round did you know that?" I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Your poll needs another choice for me to vote: a simple "yes".

Also can not vote because I would most definitely cruise and would also would not bother getting one of those H1N1 shots.

So my answer is YES with out question.

We were on one of the cruises that had to skip Cabo on our Panama Canal cruise this past Spring. What a shame that was and loss of business for the people of Cabo and HAL excursions all for really nothing since I still truly believe that this is still all hipe and that this flu is no different than any other flu that kills more people every year. The precaustions for this is no different than Noro. Wash your hands...Wash your hands...Wash you hands...

Personally I strongly believe this was a media induced pandemic and pushed by the Pharmaceutical Companies to pad their pockets and to get everyone's minds off the economic crisis around the world but instead it fell flat in their faces. While we were on the Statendam we watch International CNN and interestingly enough they were interviewing Pharmaceutical Companies and that before the H1N1 even broke out they had a stock pile of the vaccine :rolleyes: and that if not used up by 2010 the companies would lose billions. But that is just my personal opinion and frankly no one here or in the media will change my mind. I know and have spoke to many in the health care profession that also believe the same as I do.

Your poll needs another choice for me to vote: a simple "yes".

I am the same. Not only would I cruise but I am doing so. I will be on the Voyager of the Seas (the affected RCI ship) in 6 weeks time.

I don't think there is any more likelihood of catching anything on the ship than on the plane.

If it were to continue, my only two concerns would be

1 Would any of our ports of call be cancelled

2 Would service be affected because of so many crew members being missing

Other than that I will take my cruise as planned.

I voted but here again my 1st choice would be yes. This flu attacks the younger people more than my age bracket. I did vote with shot has I'm in a higher risk category, Diabetic.

So If they get shots available prior to my cruise in October no problem. But even if they don't I'm still going. if virus onboard so be it, I'll wash my hands more often, and use the sani bottles more. That should stop both "Pigs and Noro Virus" bugs. Those pesky things anyhow, lol

Archived