Upgrade question

I'm curious about upgrades. I read here all the time that people are getting upgrades. Have you booked directly through RC? Has anyone gotten an upgrade when they booked through a TA?

Has anyone gotten an upgrade after they've received their docs?

Those who book "guarantee" bookings are more likely to get "upgraded" than those who book a specific cabin number--but it doesn't always happen! In fact, it's really rather rare to get a true upgrade...the cruiseline considers changing from one location to another an "upgrade". I don't think it's a real upgrade unless you get a bigger cabin!

It doesn't matter how you book, when you book, what you pay, how you pay, or who you are....the upgrade fairy is a mysterious creature!

I'm curious about upgrades. I read here all the time that people are getting upgrades. Have you booked directly through RC? Has anyone gotten an upgrade when they booked through a TA?

Has anyone gotten an upgrade after they've received their docs?

And it's great to hear about them because it gives us all hope. However, you need to realize that there are hundreds of thousands of people who don't get any kind of upgrade. You won't read "all the time" about all the people (well over 90% of passengers) who not only haven't received an upgrade for their current cruise, but have never received one on any of their past cruises. I mean, none of us are going to come complain "I got the cabin I booked" or anything.

But don't give up hope. Just make sure you've booked a cabin you will be happy with. Then if you are one of the few who are smiled upon by the upgrade fairy, it's icing on an already tasty cake.

Upgrades happen for those who've booked with TAs and for those who've booked directly with the cruise line. Upgrades are somewhat more likely for GTY bookings, but they are usually small (pay for cheapest inside, get assigned best inside category) or moderate (pay for oceanview, get assigned balcony). The locations of those "upgrades" aren't necessarily the best on the ship because they're often what is leftover when others have booked the popular ones. I mean, if you've booked a midships inside on a good deck, getting moved to a deck 2 porthole all the way forward would not be an upgrade IMO.

Very rarely, GTYs receive significant upgrades (book inside, get assigned to balcony). Very rarely, chosen cabin bookings receive significant upgrades (booked D1 balcony, upgraded to JS or even GS). But those are the exceptions (and the stories that give us hope), not the rule.

beachchick

On booking we had a specified cabin number (oceanview). When we received our final documents it was as we had booked but two days before we were due to leave I checked the booking on the internet and discovered we had been upgraded to a balcony.

First RCL cruise, after final payment, (didn't know until receiving sea-pass), specific balcony cabin booked through TA, upgraded to GS.

Second upgrade was booked through TA again, again specific cabin number for balcony, upgraded to JS just before final payment.

Last upgrade from a JS to a GS about 4/5 days before our cruise and we found out via and email from RCL. We had booked directly with them.

Tanker4, how many cruise points do or did you have with RCL? I believe they offer upgrades to those with the most cruises first.

Archived