We love X, but are considering Carnival

niborHS

Most people don't make 99% of their posts to a board that they don't sail on and most people who are accused of being cheerleaders are not so fond of a particular cruiseline that they frequent other boards for the sole purpose of deprecating a cruiseline or the people who choose to cruise on it.

Those are the real cheerleaders.

Of course anyone should post wherever they like but it can't help but arouse one's curiousity as to why someone would do this.

Most people don't make 99% of their posts to a board that they don't sail on and most people who are accused of being cheerleaders are not so fond of a particular cruiseline that they frequent other boards for the sole purpose of deprecating a cruiseline or the people who choose to cruise on it.

Those are the real cheerleaders.

Of course anyone should post wherever they like but it can't help but arouse one's curiousity as to why someone would do this.

:confused:Are you accusing someone specific or just making a generalization? :confused:

Obviously you don't fall into that category and I don't know what you mean by "accusing". It's not a crime, just a curiousity.

If someone loves to sail on a lot of different cruiselines and has not sailed on one for quite a while it would make sense that they would post to all of those boards and especially the ones they are frequenting. You do.

Obviously you don't fall into that category and I don't know what you mean by "accusing". It's not a crime, just a curiousity.

Sorry Ma...you just have me a bit confused as you don't use the quote feature when posting so I have NO clue who you are speaking to.....

it's not important. forget about it.

If I read this board prior to taking my first Celebrity Cruise, I would have never sailed on Celebrity. Fortunately, that wasn't the case.

That would be a no different than the people who judge the carnival line based on some of the posters they find distasteful over on those boards.

You can't judge a cruise line based on the posts of a few people...that's just silly.

That would be a no different than the people who judge the carnival line based on some of the posters they find distasteful over on those boards.

You can't judge a cruise line based on the posts of a few people...that's just silly.

Although silly is probably not the word I'd use, you make a valid point. BUT, some people claim to base their decision on just such comments. IMO, this is no different than basing a decision not to cruise on a certain line/ship based on the reading of reviews. Yet people do claim just that, over and over on these boards.

For me, that is just hard to fathom.

For me, that is just hard to fathom.

I can tell that by your cruise history. I hope one day to have as many in my signature :)

Oh, and silly isn't a word I usually use either but I am trying to be nice ;) LOL!!

Ok, I lied, I'm not done.

:( I am very sad to see that Vog took the time to ask a mod to withdrawal his steroid-rage post, but didn't come back to apologize....which I would have readily accepted as I dislike animosity.

Halos, my guess is that Vog did not ask for his posts to be removed but that the moderator, er, "volunteered" their services in cleaning up the inflammatory and not especially helpful post.

FWIW, DH and I have never met anybody on X we consider snobby... though we have heard people on catamaran shore excursions on SEVERAL lines discuss how "they'll NEVER get on a CCL ship again" for x, y, z reasons. Anyway, we have never been asked about our income, the make of our vehicles or the designer of our clothes. On the other hand, we are probably at the high end of income for Celebrity cruisers-- so I won't swear that there aren't "demographic police" out there who might just be leaving us alone because my diamonds are larger than theirs. :confused: (but i would be shocked if it's true)

Also Halos, for the record, I would take a sebring convertible over a jaguar non-convertible anyday. :)

Again, in defense of my fellow non-jerk X cruisers, I would like to say many of us prefer X because we feel it (for the most part) provides an ambiance more to our tastes (tranquil, refined), not because we think people who enjoy a neon colors and a rolicking (sp?) good time are inferior.

FWIW, DH and I have never met anybody on X we consider snobby... though we have heard people on catamaran shore excursions on SEVERAL lines discuss how "they'll NEVER get on a CCL ship again" for x, y, z reasons.

Again, in defense of my fellow non-jerk X cruisers, I would like to say many of us prefer X because we feel it (for the most part) provides an ambiance more to our tastes (tranquil, refined), not because we think people who enjoy a neon colors and a rolicking (sp?) good time are inferior.

I so agree with both of these statements. Our upcoming Celebrity cruise will be our 8th with that line. We have never met people we consider snobby. My career was as an enlisted man in the U.S. Navy. I never have a problem telling people about that either, :D. Our first cruise on Celebrity we were seated at a dining table with a recently retired NYC bank president and his wife and with a married couple who were both doctors. While not in awe of these folks after finding out (came up in conversation at dinner the first night) their backgrounds, I wondered how this would go. It was great. These people were on the ship for the same reason as us . . . to enjoy a cruise. This has followed us throughout our 20 cruises since then.

Conversely, I have never run across what some people refer to as the "redneck faction" on any of our twenty cruises. I have seen some people making asses of themselves, but have always assumed these people make asses of themselves while not cruising.

While I have enjoyed cruising on a lot of the mass market cruise lines, my preference is for Celebrity and it is for pretty much the reasons JennAngel stated. I enjoy the tranquility provided for with the =X= experience. I am euphemistically referred to as a senior citizen, but I do enjoy a good time now and then. However, I prefer the peace and quiet I am able to find on =X='s ships. For the most part, I cannot find this same peace and quiet on other lines (well except, HAL). Is =X= more refined? I think so. But I would never equate refined with stuffy. I believe that people on =X= enjoy themselves as much as people do on RCI, Carnival and other lines, but perhaps in a quieter more genteel way.

Halos, my guess is that Vog did not ask for his posts to be removed but that the moderator, er, "volunteered" their services in cleaning up the inflammatory and not especially helpful post.

FWIW, DH and I have never met anybody on X we consider snobby... though we have heard people on catamaran shore excursions on SEVERAL lines discuss how "they'll NEVER get on a CCL ship again" for x, y, z reasons. Anyway, we have never been asked about our income, the make of our vehicles or the designer of our clothes. On the other hand, we are probably at the high end of income for Celebrity cruisers-- so I won't swear that there aren't "demographic police" out there who might just be leaving us alone because my diamonds are larger than theirs. :confused: (but i would be shocked if it's true)

Also Halos, for the record, I would take a sebring convertible over a jaguar non-convertible anyday. :)

I think you may be right. Vog has disappeared....likely his posts other places weren't nice either as it seems he has been banned...he is not on the member list.

I'm sure most X cruisers are of the non-jerk variety and I would love to cruise with you any day :) Who knows...one day I think I may require a more refined cruise. I may even try HAL at that point...or whoever has the best itineraries. We were looking at a regent catalog over the weekend. Refinement will be in our future however. I require some silliness at this time in my life.

Until then, I'll be cruising with the less refined in the neon LOL!! (I really don't like Farcus' design....seriously!!) and you may see me on occasion here on the X boards when posters ask questions about the other lines I have sailed.

We recently were in RI and took a tour of the mansions in Newport. It was really interesting to hear the stories of the famous and wealthy people who lived here in these massive homes, with more money than most could imagine...throwing parties where their guests (guest lists were impressive as you can imagine) took trays from the butler's pantry and used them to slide down the grand staircases.

I'm sure they were pretty well buzzed on expensive liquor when they did this ;)

I think these people may have enjoyed CCL as well. Old money seems to let their hair down a bit more....

;)

Happy cruising which ever line you choose.

Halos, I agree that it would be silly to judge a cruise line by the posting style of people who participate on cruise critic message boards, but I had something else in mind when I made that comment.

Since we took our first Celebrity Cruise long before I knew cruise critic existed I was aware of the fact that Celebrity ships are filled very nice passengers, who come from all walks of life, and are fun to be with. However, a number of the posts I have read on cruise critic about what it is like to sail on Celebrity, especially the ones that compare it to other cruise lines, convey a very different message.

Ok, I lied, I'm not done.

:( I am very sad to see that Vog took the time to ask a mod to withdrawal his steroid-rage post, but didn't come back to apologize....which I would have readily accepted as I dislike animosity.

What the heck! I wonder if he asked to have it withdrawn, or if the post was moderated. In any case it's great you quoted it. It's still there. People have to be willing to own up to what they post, even if it was the equivalent of a cyber temper tantrum.

Excellent choice!!!!!! :D The Spirit Class ships are my favorite. The ships themselves are kinda difficult to manuever around. I totally agree with people who say that the layout and decor of CCL ships is bizarre, because it is. BUT, each time I have sailed a Spirit class ship, I have had a wonderful cruise experience!!

Happy sailing to you :)

Thank you, Halos - We are looking forward to our family reunion cruise on Legend. A few of us booked adjacent suites and were told that we could open the divider between our balconies to make a huge verandah.

I so agree with both of these statements. Our upcoming Celebrity cruise will be our 8th with that line. We have never met people we consider snobby. My career was as an enlisted man in the U.S. Navy. I never have a problem telling people about that either, :D. Our first cruise on Celebrity we were seated at a dining table with a recently retired NYC bank president and his wife and with a married couple who were both doctors. While not in awe of these folks after finding out (came up in conversation at dinner the first night) their backgrounds, I wondered how this would go. It was great. These people were on the ship for the same reason as us . . . to enjoy a cruise. This has followed us throughout our 20 cruises since then.

Conversely, I have never run across what some people refer to as the "redneck faction" on any of our twenty cruises. I have seen some people making asses of themselves, but have always assumed these people make asses of themselves while not cruising.

While I have enjoyed cruising on a lot of the mass market cruise lines, my preference is for Celebrity and it is for pretty much the reasons JennAngel stated. I enjoy the tranquility provided for with the =X= experience. I am euphemistically referred to as a senior citizen, but I do enjoy a good time now and then. However, I prefer the peace and quiet I am able to find on =X='s ships. For the most part, I cannot find this same peace and quiet on other lines (well except, HAL). Is =X= more refined? I think so. But I would never equate refined with stuffy. I believe that people on =X= enjoy themselves as much as people do on RCI, Carnival and other lines, but perhaps in a quieter more genteel way.

wonderful post doc.

when it comes to cruise lines "to each his own". We've sailed on several lines also, and prefer Celebrity, and for the resons you mentioned. anyone who does triy several cruise lines will narrow there preferences to one or two lines. We do not all want the same thing.

Enlisted man in the US Navy? Did you spend much time on ships? If so you are the first sailor I've heard of who enjoys cruising. My father was on ships in WW2, and I could never convince him to try a cruise. I think he probably would have found the cabins quite expansive.;) Probably would have found the food better too.

I just thought of another difference which is only an issue for people who book directly though the cruise line.

When we booked our Carnival Cruises their rep knew which cabins within the same category had larger cabins and larger balconies and was able to guide me toward booking the best cabin.

When we booked our Celebrity Cruises their reps were not aware of these differences, but fortunately I was.

Enlisted man in the US Navy? Did you spend much time on ships? If so you are the first sailor I've heard of who enjoys cruising. My father was on ships in WW2, and I could never convince him to try a cruise. I think he probably would have found the cabins quite expansive.;) Probably would have found the food better too.

Close to 7 years were spent on ships. Having spent almost 2 years on a WWII destroyer (albeit 30 years after the war), I could understand your dad's reluctance. You are right about about the cabins. As to the food . . . .definitely.

There are other Navymen on these boards. In fact one of them Denny01 used to fly on and off of aircraft carriers for a living. And, reading his post . . . . . . he absolutely loves cruising and Celebrity.

When we booked our Carnival Cruises their rep knew which cabins within the same category had larger cabins and larger balconies and was able to guide me toward booking the best cabin.

:eek:

:p LOL...you were VERY lucky. CCL PVP's are notoriously UNknowledgeable for the most part. I'm glad you found one who knew what they were doing. ;)

We were on the Carnival Glory about a year & a half ago. We were fortunate. We got upgraded to the penthouse suite. Carnival handled the upgrade beautifully. They called the day before the cruise and asked if we would mind being upgraded to the penthouse suite? They had a platinum passenger in our aft cabin who wanted to stay there for a B2B. We agreed. One other set of passengers didnot agree to the same offer and those platinum passengers had to move. Two couples traveling together. Carnival showed a lot of class with the way they handled that.

We enjoyed the cruise. We were surprised to find there were no amenities with a suite. The cabin attendant was not very good but that can happen anywhere.

We had been totally spoiled on our previous X Summit cruise.

Enjoyed the people. We had a great table for 8. Good food, outstanding waitstaff and lots of fun at dinner each evening.

It was a very pleasant cruise. Enjoyed the ports and the entertainment.

For a family cruise I think you will enjoy it, certainly lots more to do for little kids.

Our first cruise in November 2000 was with Carnival leaving from Galveston TX. We went on a short cruise because we wanted to give cruising a try first before we committed to anything further.

Advertised as the "fun" ship, there was no false advertising. For those that want that type of vacation, it is a good choice for them. Our lifestyle did not quite fit the constant drink promotions etc. Some of the excursions were also drinking related. For this reason, we have not looked at Carnival again. More of a lifestyle choice then anything else.

In our experience, the food was fine, the service was respectable and the shows were good. I still get a good chuckle remembering formal night. More then a few men wearing top hats with jackets and tails, ladies with tierras etc.

I do believe the length of the trip and the destinations will make a difference. Shorter cruises will likely have more party people. 7 to 14 day cruises are less likely to have party people. It is hard to party for that length of time.

First, the ship was incredibly overcrowded...to the point of being uncomfortable...One had to show up at the showroom over an hour early to get a decent seat...There were long lines for everything...I gave up on sushi...too long a line...there was even a line for the gift shop...

The food was surprisingly better than expected but the service was terrible...Dining room was overcrowded and waiters were serving One and a half times as many people and assistant waiters three times the people than on Royal Caribbean (We know--we took the two lines back-to-back and counted)...We experienced all sorts of service faux pas--like the waiter bringing multiple courses at once or asking people to pass plates to their neighbor (the dining room utilizes booths in order to squeeze the people in and the waiters can't serve the people on the inside seats properly)...

The cruise director and staff tried to drum up "fun" and participation with cheesey games--like everyone was divided into three "teams" and told to earn "points" for the team...

Here's my recommendation: Compromise on a newer, large Royal Caribbean ship...There is a younger, but CLASSIER crowd...Your kids will meet plenty in their age group...and YOU will have a better cruise...

My 25 year old university administrator daughter and her friend (old college roommate and now with an engineering firm) went on a RCCL Freedom of the Seas cruise last September and loved it...There was lots for them on the ship...

Though we love Celebrity (Our favorite), we also enjoy Royal Caribbean...

Friends don't let friends cruise Carnival... :) :) :)

I've cruised several different lines including Carnival and found Carnival just fine. Cabins were bigger, service was better and each ship was clean. And no, I never saw anyone wearing wife beaters in the dining room. I've found if someone has to discuss "class" of his or her fellow cruisers, they are suffering from self-esteem issues. Just my opinion. Also, take a look at CDC's latest "Green Sheet." You'll discover Carnival's score is 96.9% (average) and Celebrity's is 96.1% (average).

Archived