shopping in the southern caribbean

jfn4311

Shopping all depends on what you're looking to buy. In Aruba, for instance, right off the ship, on the main drag through town you have: a huge shopping plaza on the left side of the street with International Gold etc. shops. On the right side of the street, however, you have the local people with their handmade items etc. which for us is much more interesting and the prices are not necessarily fixed.

You'll find the same throughout the Caribbean. If we want to buy anything at all, we look for the small little individual shops or flea market-like areas to shop. We never go to the big shopping mall areas that unfortunately are now everywhere.

Enjoy, the Southern Caribbean is lovely-especially Aruba.:)

I agree with Procruise that shopping depends on what your looking for. S. Caribbean tends to be less of a shopping cruise than the Eastern and Western. That being said, you are still stopping in St. Thomas which according to my DW (and my wallet) has great shopping. You'll always find the typical trinket and t-shirt shops in just about every caribbean port.

We are taking a Southern Caribbean Cruise in January 2010 that goes to Bonaire, St. Thomas, Aruba, Grenada, and Dominica. Does anyone has shopping suggstions for these ports

What are you looking for? Diamonds & Emeralds and Watches in every port. There will be shoppers on board that will give you discounts. they will also give you a charm bracelet and you can pick up a free charm for it from most ports.

In Aruba you can get giant wheels of Gouda Cheese and Delft pottery, christmas ornaments and Harley Davidson shirts.

Grenada is the spice island. We always buy nutmegs (we grate it over rum punch...yum!) and boxes of spices for friends and family. Also kitchen wreaths of fresh spices are available. The local rum is very strong. Local artwork is also available. Necklace/earring/bracelet sets made from local stones, cds of local music and trinkets available everywhere. You will also find locals posing for pictures with armadillos; wearing traditional costumes w/extravagant headdress; diving off of waterfalls....all in exchange for a couple of dollars. Did I mention the local rum? There is an indoor mall at the port, spice market outside the port (2 blocks), and vendors at every location you might find a tourist :D

In Dominica we bought coffee beans from vendors on the side of the road and handmade baskets. A lovely bread basket was aprox. $20.

St. Thomas ...great place for jewelry, nautical antiques, clothing, shoes, glass ware, art, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just as a point and reference.... shopping in the caribean is not what it used to be..... Whatever you are looking for i.e. jewelry, watches, stones, etc.... be knoweledgeable of what pricing is in the states before you get overcome with the "I am on vacation and everything looks like a good deal" mentality. Many times things can be bought in the states of equal or better quality at similar prices ! Do your homework before spending your hard earned dollars in the caribbean for items that may not be as good a value as you may think if you go in unprepared w/out knowledge !

When we do any shopping in ports of call it is for unique things that you cannot find in the states.

I think that my group is more interested in the "unique" purchases. Things that are somewhat "local" and will bring back memories with us. Thanks suznf for your post. Is it a problem to bring the cheese back with you?

• 3 months later...

We are cruising in Jan also. We are Doing St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia and St Maarten.

My wife is looking for Sapphires. I was told recently that St Thomas the prices are no better than the states. Anybody know if the others might be able to help me out?

Go to the library and get a book on your ports (the travel section has them) and find out what "specialties" are in each country! That way, you won't be buying something "local" that you later find out was made in Mexico, China or Indonesia!!!!

Go to the library and get a book on your ports (the travel section has them) and find out what "specialties" are in each country! That way, you won't be buying something "local" that you later find out was made in Mexico, China or Indonesia!!!!

Agree with cb. The port books will tell you what the locals hand make, grow, distill etc. It's gross to me seeing little dolls and the like in street vendors stalls that are stamped Made in China if you look closely.

Handmade baskets, being made as you stand and watch, are popular and distinct at different islands.

Archived