Tipping on board

jay841

I don't think any of us were talking about tipping the Captain! But the concierge MIGHT be another matter.

I actually don't think the concierge expected a tip from what we asked him to do in terms of setting up a meet and greet. The waiters, of course, were tipped.

If I don't tip my hairdresser who owns the shop, I certainly don't tip the captain of the ship!

Mura

I think offering the captain a tip would be an insult. He is a professional and professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc.) to not expect tips.

LOL...Hope you meant this as a joke..:D:D

In case you did not, no one suggested tipping the Captain! We realize he's a Professional & know enough not to offer a tip to a professional..;)

However, I'm still wondering if I should have offered a little lagniappe to the Concierge who helped us organize our Meet & Greet..:confused:

Cheers....:)Betty

I never gave it a thought, but now wonder if we need something on our April cruise, & he's helpful, should we tip him...

BTW I did send a note about his service to the Hotel Mgr. & the Concierge thanked me, the next day for our kind words..But now still wonder if that was enough..:confused:

Cheers...:)Betty

I think you are taking the idea of tipping to an unnecesary extreme. There is a mandatory gratuity charged to every passenger. In the hospitality industry, this pool would be split among all service employees with the shares based on seniority, length of service, position etc. Each company would have a different formula but you can be sure the concierges, restaurant captains and maitre d's and so on would get a healthy share because of their seniority. There is no need to tip anyone extra. having said that we give extra to our cabin steward and stewardess.

If the Concierge for the "cheap seats" does anything special for you, such as helping you arrange a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, making up invites & delivering them, would you tip him/her too ?

Thinking about it later, realize I may have goofed on my last cruise:o:o:o

Betty

Good question

I may have "goofed" as well

I used the concierge on 2 cruises to send invites but was unsure if I should tip.

Then the other questions are: who should tip since it is for the benefit of a group?

Should you ask others to chip in?

How much should you tip?

I do not believe they are included in the tip pool but I could be wrong

It would be interesting to know if anyone has tipped the concierge for arranging a CC meeting

Lyn

I think you are taking the idea of tipping to an unnecesary extreme. There is a mandatory gratuity charged to every passenger. In the hospitality industry, this pool would be split among all service employees with the shares based on seniority, length of service, position etc. Each company would have a different formula but you can be sure the concierges, restaurant captains and maitre d's and so on would get a healthy share because of their seniority. There is no need to tip anyone extra. having said that we give extra to our cabin steward and stewardess.

I'd have to disagree with you there, Earl, at least when it comes to those of us who are involved in setting up the Meet & Greets.

Let's remember that from the perspective of the ships employees', there is a constant stream of Cruise Critics using their services.

From the popularity of the Roll Call forum, I dont believe that there are many Oceania cruises which DON'T have a Meet & Greet.

Even if it is just a token sum to show that we appreciate their work on our behalf, I think that we should tip the Concierge.

Archived