Alitalia-Code Sharing with Delta

sodell

I'm looking at ORD-FCO Round-trip.

Delta is code sharing this flight.

Airfare is:

Delta Site: $822

Alitalia: $744

Popular travel web site: $714

Are there any advantages in buying on one site vs another? (What I know about this stuff I can fit in a thimble :) )

If Alitalia cancels the return home flight, how does rebooking work with the different sites?

I guess my real concern is.... Alitalia has been known to have problems. Their schedule works well for me, and I'm not sure I want to take the chance of flying with them. If I book with someone else will it make a difference?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.....

I'm looking at ORD-FCO Round-trip.

Delta is code sharing this flight.

Airfare is:

Delta Site: $822

Alitalia: $744

Popular travel web site: $714

Are there any advantages in buying on one site vs another? (What I know about this stuff I can fit in a thimble :) )

If Alitalia cancels the return home flight, how does rebooking work with the different sites?

I guess my real concern is.... Alitalia has been known to have problems. Their schedule works well for me, and I'm not sure I want to take the chance of flying with them. If I book with someone else will it make a difference?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.....

Am assuming the entire flight is operated by Alitalia. If this is what you want, I would probably book directly with them, as they would be the ones to handle any problems, as it's their flight.

If they cancel the return flight, they would be responsible for rebooking you. If you are hesitant about booking Alitalia, have you checked AA? They also have a nonstop from ORD-FCO.

The AZ fare would be the most likely one for me to purchase, though you may receive fewer FF miles with an AZ ticket. The "popular" price is likely to be a negotiated, non-published fare with some caveats and restrictions apart from what you'd get with the AZ booking. Only by reading specific fare rules and T&C can you find out.
If on a published fare, AZ will rebook you. If on a consolidator fare, you will likely be put on the AZ flight that has room.
I guess my real concern is.... Alitalia has been known to have problems.
I have "problems" too....we all have "problems". What is your specific concern? With only vague mention from you, I can't comment specifically.
I'm not sure I want to take the chance of flying with them.

And just what is the "chance" that you would be taking? It's not as if they are Air Koryu....

I have "problems" too....we all have "problems". What is your specific concern? With only vague mention from you, I can't comment specifically.

Internet chatter esp the "totten" debacle. Recent comments of any sort are hard to find. Do you think the chance of canceled flights, lost baggage and bad service have been reduced? (hey if you can answer that... can you give me a couple of stock tips ? :) sorry... I digress)

Am I being overly concerned about flying Alitalia?

Since AZ & Delta are are SkyTeam partners, couldn't I use AZ points on a Delta rewards?

Thanks...

Am assuming the entire flight is operated by Alitalia. If this is what you want, I would probably book directly with them, as they would be the ones to handle any problems, as it's their flight.

If they cancel the return flight, they would be responsible for rebooking you. If you are hesitant about booking Alitalia, have you checked AA? They also have a nonstop from ORD-FCO.

Thanks 6Rugrats......

AA is $250 pp more.

Looks like it's AZ for me.

AZ is one of the weak-sisters of the SkyTeam alliance, and isn't the first choice when picking based on ST membership. It has had issues with service over the years, but not necessarily worse than US Airways here at home, or the ground service of AF. Any airline can have a baggage issue, and Michael Totten managed to blow up his experience into an all-encompassing horror story that went beyond reasonable proportion. (But, if you're a known writer, you can do that).

When people talk "cancelled flights", there are two possibilities: a) schedule change, so that your flight/connection doesn't exist/work, and b) mechanical/crew issues on a specific flight/date so that your particular flight doesn't operate. AZ is no worse in the first case than many other airlines, all of which tweak and change their schedules to meet changing market conditions. As for b), I don't think there is an inherent MX issue that would cause great concern. And if you are thinking strikes...well, that could easily stop ALL airlines flying in Italy.

I have flown AZ a couple of times and found it to be quite acceptable (albeit in business class). It's no Singapore or Cathay or Emirates, but it's not a Euro-charter horror story.

You have a couple of major considerations. Non-stop or connections? SkyTeam or other alliance? Price vs service? Equipment? Schedules? What is really important to you. Given the reaction to a $250 price differential, I think I see the answer.

As for the FF miles. Don't put them into the AZ Mille Miglia program unless you plan to fly a bunch more on AZ. Otherwise, they're going to end up as orphans over there, and redemption isn't really better from AZ to DL than the other way around.

Note that flying on an AZ ticket and banking to DL SkyMiles has the following caveat:

Alitalia:

Mileage may be earned on Alitalia-coded flights operated by Alitalia or any SkyTeam partner. Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in A, R, U, or Z class.

If you fly before the merger of the NW and DL FF programs, you can credit to NW with these rules:
Earning Banked Miles on Alitalia-coded, Alitalia-operated

100% of actual miles flown (500-mile minimum)

50% of actual miles flown in N, L, O, Q, X, W, S

50% mileage bonus for Business Class travel

Alitalia's R, G and A classes are not valid for WorldPerks accrual.

You can also still credit to CO OnePass. Full info HERE.

Archived