Help for first time Princess Cruise

ha6124

I need advice on what Princess ship to choose for the Eastern Caribbean next May or June. We are in our 50's. YOUNG 50's. LOL:)

We have been on the Freedom of the Seas Royal Caribbean and Holland America's Zuiderdam. Loved both. Now we are wanting to try a Princess ship. The Freedom was our most favorite ship of the two. Anything similar on Princess? Any opinions on the Emerald Princess or any other newer Princess ship. Also please a suggestion for the Cabin would also be appreciated. Would want a balcony cabin or mini suite??? Any privacy on balcony? All and every suggestion will be totally appreciated! Thanks everyone.

The Emerald is the second newest ship in the fleet. During your timeframe the Emerald sails out of Ft. Lauderdale, the Caribbean Princess sails out of Brooklyn, NY, and the Sea Princess sails out of Barbados. I suggest you go with the itinerary you prefer.

One thing you should be aware of when booking a balcony cabin is that those located on Carib deck have the largest balconies of any regular cabin on the ship. The interior of the cabin will be the same as other regular (non-suite) cabins. The balconies on Carib deck are half covered so you can either be out in the sun or in the shade as you desire.

Our preference is a cabin from about mid-ship toward the aft end for the smoothest ride.

Lew

I think one thing you might find different on Princess than with RCI is the layout of the stateroom.

On Princess, a balcony cabin has no real sitting area to speak of. One comfortable chair and a desk chair (no sofa or loveseat on the larger ships). They are more or less just a bedroom. Where as a mini suite has a sitting area with sofa, chair/chairs, tables and lamps. Also a mini has a full sized tub/shower combination and a much larger bathroom area, where as a balcony stateroom has a very small bathroom with small shower only.

Mini suite balconys measure 9X7 feet. Balcony staterooms on Caribe Deck measure 9X9 feet, and other balcony locations they measure 9X5 feet.

You might look at some pictures of both before you make your decision.

There are actually no extra perks to write home about in a mini, but the stateroom itself is so much larger and more comfortable that if the price is within your budget, I would definitely go with a mini vs a balcony stateroom.

Although Princess does not have all the extra amusements as RCI's larger ships have, the newer Princess ships are absolutely beautiful with lots of things to do, varied dining areas, and beautiful freshwater pools. Whichever ship you choose, have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks everyone for your help. I see by your post that you have been on several Princess Cruises. Mind if I ask which you liked best? Also which ship and why? Thanks. Love to get different opinons on different ships before deciding.

Thanks again!

Archived