Please compare Windstar vs. Star Clippers

yogagal47

After 5 cruises on Windstar we are considering a cruise on Royal Clipper(windward) January 2010. Any recent feedback or opinions would be appreciated. Especially interested in info about cabins, motion of ship, food. Thanks! I did a search and could not find any recent comparisons.

We are sailing 9/13 on WIndsurf and thinking about 1/9 on Star Clipper so I hope you get some responses. I have had clients on both and seemed to have a great time and I got great deals for both Windsurf and Star Clipper for January so having a hard time deciding???

We have sailed both and would and will sail em both again. Star Clipper is a step below Windstar in star ratings, but they are beautiful ships. More like a working ship and the sails will be up more often on a SC. SC ships seem to draw a more diversified clientele becuz home-based in Netherlands (I think). You will enjoy people from Germany, France, etc. What is so different is that ship announcements are made in 3-4 languages: French, German, English and Italian (always including Eng). What is really important to note with SC sailing is that everything you spend onboard ship, including tour costs, will be based on euros, and that is much more costly. Each time we sailed an SC (we have not sailed the Royal Clipper, the biggest ship), there has been a crew/passenger talent show. The crew is just as diverse as the passengers, and the talent is amazing. The show was not to be missed....great fun and great talent. No complaints of any kind re a SC ship, tho we haven't sailed on in several years (those darn euros).

We were scheduled to sail a Windjammer in late 07, when that line went belly up. We will be sailing Windstar's Windstar out of Costa Rica in January...whoohoo!

for your reply. We loved the Windstar Costa Rica Cruise. Email me if you have questions about the Nicaragua port stop as i just got back from a visit to Nica and have more insights now that i have seen more of the country in addition to having visited San Juan Del Sur on the cruise: jsyogamom@gmail.com

We are actually considering taking a week in mexico next jan instead of cruising as there are some good deals. Definitely the euro payment is an issue as well as the greater motion of the clipper ship.

I'm NEVER seasick, but thought I might be on the Star Clipper. ( Luckily, I wasn't)

Windstar, in my opinion, is more upscale, and also my opinion-the food is better on Windstar. We sailed once on the Clipper, once on the Windsurf, and will be on the Windspirit in November TA from Portugal to St. Martin.

After 5 cruises on Windstar we are considering a cruise on Royal Clipper(windward) January 2010. Any recent feedback or opinions would be appreciated. Especially interested in info about cabins, motion of ship, food. Thanks! I did a search and could not find any recent comparisons.

I would agree with hmorrow and the others. We have been on the Windstar fleet 8 or 9 times and the Star Flyer once. Windstar is more upscale and the food is (quite a bit) better in my opinion. That being said, we had a great time on the Flyer (Singapore to Phuket - an itinerary I can't ever see Windstar doing) As another poster said, the clients are much more diverse on SC (a good thing, I think) and multiple languages and the Euro ( a bad thing for Americans) are used on board. We never had a motion problem.

Archived