Night before Cruise

Rhitson88

I can never sleep and end up staying up all night but was interested to see what other people did the night before your cruise. Are you able to sleep? Or do you do it like me and you CANT sleep so you occupy your time with something else? Let me know. This should be a hot topic people.

Depending on how long the travel day before the cruise is, I may or may not be able to sleep. The hotels in which I stay typically have comfortable beds, and I have been known to have a drink or two when I am getting ready for a trip for which I don't have to drive. If I can't sleep, I usually just read a book. I've been known to finish a book in a night if it is good and I can't sleep. Drawback there is that I would have to buy more books to read on the cruise if I have to break into my stash brought for reading on the cruise!

If I can't sleep, I usually just read a book. I've been known to finish a book in a night if it is good and I can't sleep. Drawback there is that I would have to buy more books to read on the cruise if I have to break into my stash brought for reading on the cruise!

I bring 4 or 5 or 6 books usually on a cruise to read, like when Im waiting for the show at night, so we can go early and get good seats. Im doing a B2B in sept, so will bring extra books. I always bring more than I think Ill read so I dont run out. I give them to the cabin steward or just leave them behind so Im lighter going home.

My DS and I do not sleep the night before we leave for our cruise vacation. It is our tradition to go to the 24 Walmart and buy a travel game and some new goddie to take with us. Makes for a fun night. As we always fly in the day before our cruise, the night in the hotel before our embarkation is always a restful sleep.

Nancy

I agree it is tough to sleep, our last 3 cruises were out of San Juan , so early flight times and scared to death I would over sleep even though we fly in at least a day early. Then I worry I will forget something or the flight will be cancelled , never relax until we are on the connection flight and have a couple of drinks.

This year should be a little better flying to Florida 2 days early, still will have trouble sleeping.:o

I just lie there and keep my dh awake as I say "I'm too excited to sleep!" :D

Haha yeah, it's my girlfreinds first cruise in September 20th on the Legend and she seems like she doesn't care now but I know the night before she will be excited and be this way. I am amped now!!

I usually have to run around all week trying to get to a point at work that I can get away, and with all the running try to remember why I do try to get away with all the extra work it takes, then I get home and have not packed yet so I do that and end up taking to much stuff. Then when I do lay down I am out... No problem

John

Night before flying out to cruise (day before embarkation) - I am a mess - trying to get last minute packing done - luggage too heavy - getting docs/carryon ready - usually forget to eat dinner - get a bad headache and cranky! Go to bed too late worrying about tomorrow's flight!

Actual night before cruise (in Florida?) - much more relaxed (assuming I made it? :D).... check into hotel - find a nice place for dinner - scout out store for wine or beverage purchase - lay out clothes for embarkation - can I sleep? Hopefully - after the stress of travel, and assuming the bed is comfy..... Do I wake up too early? you bet! Too excited to sleep in - must get up, get ready, get breakfast and get to the port!!!

I have no experience.... but my plans for the night before our cruise are to take my son to an outdoor movie with my sister and nephew, by the time we get back from that it'll be pretty late so I'll be ready for bed lol.

I'm usually cleaning the house and getting ready for the house/puppy sitters until the wee hours of the morning. Then DH and I power nap, wake dds at the crack of dawn, go for breakfast and drive to the port...busy, busy, busy keeps me from crazy, crazy, crazy!!!!!

I have a funny story about the night before we left for a cruise.... Not sure if I have told it here before...

Before my hubby and I lived together, he stayed at my parents' house one night because we were getting up so early to head out to FLL. Around 9:00pm or so, my now DH asked my parents if they wanted to just go ahead and head out, he was awake and OK to drive... My parents said "nah, let's try to get some sleep and we will get up early tomorrow"... So... Dh takes a Tylenol PM so he can sleep and we go to bed. A few minutes later (less than hour), we hear knocking on my bedroom door... when we opened it, there stood my parents like little kids on Christmas morning... They said they couldn't sleep and they were ready to go! :p My poor DH had taken the Tylenol PM, but somehow managed to start out driving...

I just thought that was a funny story because they were the ones wanting to "sleep" but they had changed their minds within the hour... :D

I used to be in the Tylenol PM group but now I take my a Bonine the night before our cruise and it puts me to sleep AND I don't get sea sick the next day! How anyone can actually sleep after running around getting everything ready to go I just cannot imagine - my mind just will not shut off!

We usually fly or drive in a day early. My wife is usually packing until we get in the car to leave. I go to bed and get 4 or 5 hours of sleep before we head out. Once we are in the room the night before i usually don't have a problem going to sleep but I will be up about 5 the next morn ready to go. I will have to wake my wife up and she will still almost be late for the shuttle.

I take care of all the booking and documents so once she gets packed her stress is over when we hit the road.

No, I can't sleep (I suffer from insomnia anyway) but the night before I have excitement, anticipation & worrying on my mind. I keep thinking did I forget something, then I check several times for all my docs. I'm a wreck. Then when I do go to sleep I have the "bad cruise" dream. It's all part of the fun though. ;)

We usually fly out the day before, so we are usually a little tired from traveling. After a day of traveling, I take my DW to a nice dinner, and have a couple drinks. Don't usually have a problem going to sleep after that. My DW wishes that I wouldn't wake up at 6am the day of the cruise, but that is when my anxienty kicks in.

We drive to Galveston from Tulsa, Oklahoma (10 hours). The night before we leave for Galveston I am the one who is up until 3:00 a.m. watching tv because I can't sleep. My husband is an easy sleeper so he is up and rested by 3:30 a.m., shower, coffee, and last minute loading of the carry-on luggage. Then, I fall asleep in the car about 30 minutes outside of Tulsa until we stop in Oklahoma City for breakfast. Then back to sleep for the next 4 or 5 hours. Then it's my turn to drive until we reach Houston. Once we get to Houston, I wake up my husband because I refuse to drive through it alone. Then, I drive all the way to Galveston, check into the hotel, drive to the port to see the Ecstacy and then to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner. Back to the hotel and I crash. Wake up call at 8:00 a.m. (like I need one, ha ha) and on to the port to drop off our luggage with the porters, get breakfast and then back to the port by 11:00 a.m. for embarkation. On the ship by 11:45 a.m. Easy peasy Japanesey!!!!!!!!

Archived