Choice Air

The easiest way (and normally the least expensive way) to make sure you get to choose your own flight is to book it yourself. We used cruise air the first two times we cruised, once using custom air, and since then we've booked our own, saving money and having the option to choose the flights we wanted.

Jodi

RCL just came out with a new program that is basically equivalent to booking it on your own. Details of the program are located on their website. (rccl.com)

This is what I was talking about! Does anyone know if it's cheaper than letting RCCL choose for you?

It won't be any cheaper since there is a fee involved, but it does eliminate any uncertainty about what flights you will get and allows you to know well in advance exactly what flights you will have and may also include a meet and greet from an RCI representative at the airport. Whether or not transfers are included or have to be added, I'm not sure. In the past there have been occasions when we found the cruiseline airfare to be less expensive than booking directly with the airline and by using their Custom Air program we had the best of both worlds: getting a bargain price and knowing our flight schedules many months before the sailing. I am sure that once the Choice Air program has been in place for a few months we will get plenty of feedback on how well (or badly) it works. Checking on some 2010 Alaska itineraries, Choice Air seemed to be competitive with booking direct with the airlines but the devil is always in the details and until someone has actually experienced the program, I will withhold judgement.:)

• 1 month later...

I'm considering trying this program, but I wondered if anyone can report first hand how it has worked for them. From what I can tell, you can choose your airline, flight, etc. AND you will receive assistance from RCI in getting to the ship. Also, I have an RCI Visa card, and I'm wondering if I book my air travel through RCI if I'll get double the points for those dollars vs. booking with the airline direct. Anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks, Nancy

I checked out ChoiceAir for our flights. I found that it was $55 more per person than if I did it myself directly with the airline. If we were not planning to arrive a day ahead or if I were totally new to cruising, it may be worth the $55 for peace of mind. For my family however, that $55 per person will pay for our hotel room the night before and taxi to the port.

I do think that it is a great option. When we purchased air through other cruiselines, we always ended up with flights at odd times and stopovers.

I have not used it yet and I too am interested in the feedback.

crzygirl~ I don't know why it was $55 higher than if you booked directly with the airline? Could it be because the airfare went up? From what I understand, and I could be wrong, if you see the flight and times you want.... Choice Air will book it for you for $15 per person service fee.

You do have to purchase transfers when you do Choice Air, was that included I wonder?

What I like about it is, RCCL will be able to be on top of flight changes etc for you.

Gee... I wish I could book a cruise using ChoiceAir just to see how it will really work. ;-)

I have not used it yet and I too am interested in the feedback.

crzygirl~ I don't know why it was $55 higher than if you booked directly with the airline? Could it be because the airfare went up? From what I understand, and I could be wrong, if you see the flight and times you want.... Choice Air will book it for you for $15 per person service fee.

You do have to purchase transfers when you do Choice Air, was that included I wonder?

What I like about it is, RCCL will be able to be on top of flight changes etc for you.

Gee... I wish I could book a cruise using ChoiceAir just to see how it will really work. ;-)

Someone out there must have tried it by now? My RCI rep sure made it sound like a no-brainer. We're planning to fly in a day early, and he said that was no problem. They would arrange hotel and transportation to the port if we desired. I guess I'd just like to hear from someone who's tried it before I take the leap... :-D

• 2 months later...

Choice Air has been around for a couple months now... has anyone used it and what was your experience like? the main thing i am trying to figure out is if they connect this to your cruise booking. then if the cost of your cruise goes down, can you still get a decrease in your cruise price? or is it connected, so if the cruise cost goes down but the flight cost goes up will you have to pay more (since you are essentially cancelling and rebooking?). I am new to cruising and am just trying to understand what my best option is.

Thanks!

here are the policies listed on the choice air site (which don't answer my Q):

General Policies

• Once the ticket has been issued the name on the ticket cannot be changed.
  • Ticket is non-refundable.
  • Ticket changes may incur penalties and/or increased fares.

Change Policies

• Your ticket is non-refundable.
  • If you change your reservation, airlines may charge a fee to use your ticket as credit for a new reservation. This fee varies by airline, market, and specific fare rules, and may be $150 or more for domestic tickets and $200 or more for international tickets.
  • Some tickets do not allow any changes.

Cancellation Policies

• Your ticket is non-refundable.
  • If you cancel you will not receive any money back.
  • You may be eligible to apply part of your ticket price towards future travel (for a limited time, usually a year).
  • If you cancel your reservation, airlines usually deduct $150 or more for domestic tickets and $200 or more for international tickets before determining the amount that can be applied towards future travel.

Domestic Flight Notice

• Air transportation to be provided between points in the U.S. (including its overseas territories and possessions) is subject to the individual contract terms (including rules, regulations, tariffs and conditions) of the transporting air carriers, which are herein incorporated by reference and made part of the contract of carriage.
  • Please make sure you have reviewed the important legal notice entitled "Conditions of Contract", "Notice of Incorporated Terms", "Notice of Baggage Liability Limitations", and "Notice of Overbooking" in Terms & Conditions of Travel.
  • The Terms & Conditions of Travel will also be available at the airport prior to your flight departure.

International Flight (Warsaw Convention) Notice

• If the passenger's journey involves an ultimate destination or stop in a country other than the country of departure, the Warsaw Convention may be applicable and the Convention governs and in most cases limits the liability of carriers for death or personal injury and for the loss of or damage to baggage.
  • See also the notices entitled "Advice to International Passengers on Limitation of Liability" and "Notice of Baggage Liability Limitations" in the Terms & Conditions of Travel.

Taxes and Fees:

Please read the following carefully.

By making reservations on this site, you agree to abide by the policies described herein as well as in our Website Terms and Conditions. Please review these policies carefully from time to time as they are subject to change.

Tax Recovery Charges:

We are required to pay taxes, governmental fees or other charges to our travel suppliers, as and when, and in the amounts, billed by each supplier. Each supplier must then remit such amounts to the appropriate taxing authorities. In order to recover the amount of such taxes, governmental fees and other charges, we impose tax recovery charges on transactions as outlined below.

Air Transactions:

Where noted with a plus sign (+), prices shown for air-only transactions and travel packages that include air are for one adult and are subject to an additional tax recovery charge. Such tax recovery charge represents a recovery of all additional applicable transaction taxes, governmental fees and other charges that we must pay to the relevant airline(s) in connection with your travel arrangements, including but not limited to: (i) Airport Passenger Facility Charges of up to US$18, depending on itinerary; (ii) Federal Segment Fees of US$3.10 per segment (defined as a takeoff and a landing); (iii) the September 11th Security Fee of US$2.50 per flight segment (maximum charge per trip of US$5 one-way, US$10 round-trip); (iv) a Travel Facilities Tax of up to US$13.80 per round-trip for domestic flights beginning or ending in Alaska or Hawaii; and (v) for international itineraries, foreign and U.S. government-imposed charges of up to US$200 per round trip, depending on routing and destination. Air fares may be subject to additional restrictions, may not be available on all flights, and may change without notice. Specific fare rules are provided prior to purchase.

Choice Air Service Fees:

Online Service Fee. A non-refundable fee of US$15.00 per domestic ticket and a non-refundable fee US$25.00 per international ticket is charged for each ticket purchased online. Offline Service Fee. A non-refundable fee of US$50.00 for domestic itineraries and US$75.00 for international itineraries is charged for airline tickets purchased by telephone via our toll-free number. Reservations for departure in 24 hours or fewer cannot be booked by telephone.

Fees for Changes/Cancellations/Refunds. Itinerary changes, cancellations and refunds, if permitted by the airfare, may carry an airline penalty fee potentially ranging from US$100.00 up to US$600.00. The airline penalty fee is in addition to any applicable fare increase and may vary by market, carrier and specific fare rule.

This is what I was talking about! Does anyone know if it's cheaper than letting RCCL choose for you?

Sometimes yes, it is. I would never discount it without getting pricing.

There is a $15 fee for CAD and US flights; I think it is $25 outside of Canada and the US. It is built into the price.

I was able to book flights ~$150 CAD less than on the airline's website. The prices fluctuate, so if you get a good flight at a good price, go for it.;)

The easiest way (and normally the least expensive way) to make sure you get to choose your own flight is to book it yourself. We used cruise air the first two times we cruised, once using custom air, and since then we've booked our own, saving money and having the option to choose the flights we wanted.

Jodi

We just book our own air---we pick our flights, our connections and our seats! Almost always cheaper than going through the cruiseline!
Would not RCI have some responsibility if they cancelled, charted or changed departure ports?(No I am not going to read my Cruise contract)

I checked it out for our upcoming Alaska reposition cruise in September. What I found was that the return flight was not available from RCL.........and their choice cost more than the flight that got me to my home airport with no stops. I saved almost 200$ by booking the flights myself. But it pays to check with them as part of the research process. When we did our TA and needed flights to Barcelona and returning from Miami, RCL had less expensive flights on the same airlines, at the same time than I could book direct. So, it depends. But we prefer to book our own air, and manage those flights ourselves.

Has anyone used the Choice Air option when booking? I've always wanted to be able to choose my own flights!!

My wife and I are doing b2b cruises on Voyager in April & May 2010 that involves a transatlantic plus a Med cruise. We needed flights from Philadelphia to Houston at the beginning of the cruises and from Barcelona to Philadelphia at the end.

Because of the b2b booking the regular RCL airfare was much more than we would have paid if we were just doing the transatlantic and then flying home even though we will still be flying home from Barcelona after the Med cruise. They used the excuse that it was because we were traveling in different booking periods????

I called Choice Air and they not only saved me several hundred dollars on the flights but were also able to get us a direct flight from Barcelona back to Philadelphia.

I usually make my own air reservations but because this one involves an international flight I decided to let the cruise line handle the reservations.

It sounds like transfers will not be included in the cost of Choice Air.

Are Transfers included when we buy Choice Air?

Transfers are offered as an option to ChoiceAir guest when applicable for their travel dates.

I have always booked my own air for cruises since we live near 3 major airports and have our choice of many, many airlines and flight times. But for our Transatlantic next fall I was having trouble swallowing the prices that the airlines were offering. We needed a one way flight from San Francisco to London and this is what I found.....a round trip ticket was in the $800-$1000 range right now. Might or might NOT drop in the spring. A one way ticket was $1600+.....yes, you read that right. So it was pretty much a no brainer.....buy the round trip ticket and just don't use the return portion. I even checked airline brokers and they were still pretty high for a one way flight.

So I though I'd give Choice Air a call.....I got a one way flight on United for $458 per person and that's including the $25 Choice air feel. It's a non-stop flight (an absolute must for DH) and the woman at Choice Air was even able to get our seat assignments.

The deal with Choice Air is that you must pay for the tickets immediately. It is not added on to your cruise booking to be paid later. So in that respect I would think you would definitely be able to get any price drops on the cruise if they became available.

As soon as I booked the flight I went to the United site and entered my confirmation code and there we were, with our chosen seats and everything.

I hope this answers some questions for all of you.

Archived