Lima (Callao) Peru

jhuntermartin

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. My husband and I will be on the Apr. 10, 2010 Rotterdam cruise and arriving in Callao on Sat. Apr. 24th at 10:00 am. We're booking a flight to Cusco and are unsure how much time we would need to get a taxi at the cruise port and travel the 4 km to Jorge Chavez airport to catch our flight. What would be the approximate taxi fare? Many thanks for your insight.

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. My husband and I will be on the Apr. 10, 2010 Rotterdam cruise and arriving in Callao on Sat. Apr. 24th at 10:00 am. We're booking a flight to Cusco and are unsure how much time we would need to get a taxi at the cruise port and travel the 4 km to Jorge Chavez airport to catch our flight. What would be the approximate taxi fare? Many thanks for your insight.

It will only take about 1/2 hour. Please DO NOT plan on getting a taxi OUTSIDE the cruise port unless you speak Spanish and are VERY confident in your ability to deal with "weird" situations. Just jumping into any old taxi outside the port or the airport is asking for trouble. Many a tourist has found themselves robbed, beaten and left in an alley someplace just taking any taxi (especially those that are "cheaper") Make arrangments for someone to pick you up INSIDE the port. There will be cars for hire but they are very limited.

Please be aware that flights leaving Lima after 11AM have better than a 50% chance of not being able to land in Cusco, especially during the spring to summer and fall to winter season change (your time frame). The clouds/fog starts rolling into the "bowl" that is the Cusco airport about 10:30-11AM. Pilots go around and around trying to find the "window" when the clouds part so they can land. If it is not found, back to Lima you go to try the next day.

And please be aware that you are going from sea level to almost 12,000 feet. AMS (altitude sickness) effects MANY, MANY people who try to do too much too soon. AMS can be deadly. Sleeping at a hotel with constant oxygen is the WORST thing you can do. You NEVER acclimate and once you walk outside your carefully oxygenated area, AMS hits you. I feel soooo sorry for cruise passengers on those short, VERY expensive 3 day trips to MP. I have seen so many of them sick and not able to enjoy their trip.

You will need train tickets purchased IN ADVANCE if you are trying to get to MP for the 3 day stop in Lima. PLEASE do not count on getting train tickets on arrival. I also would look at the possibility of flying back to the ship at Guayaquil and NOT trying to get to MP in basically ONE day-fly to Cusco on the 24th, trip to MP on the 25th, fly back to Lima on the 26th. Just tooooo much too soon and a very good chance of getting AMS (unless you live above 5000 feet) with all the rushing around.

Edited by greatam

Hi,

Sorry but just saw the post. It's abel_morante42@hotmail.com. Just heard from him over new year so I know he is still out there. As everyone else say do not try to take a taxi on your own at the pier or try to cross the street away from it. Anyway the guards there will warn you not to stray too far.

I love lima and it is safe but you need to know where to go. Abel was great for us last year.

jeffrey

From the Port to the airport should be no more than ten soles if you use a taxi outside the Port. The poster that said taxis in Lima can be dangerous is correct. To make sure a taxi is insured and the driver is licensed is rather easy. On the right side of the windshield there should be a sticker that says SOAT which is the authority here that licenses vehicles you should check and see that the sticker has a date within one year. You should also ask to see the taxi drivers license.

The advantage of using a Taxi within the Port is each time they enter they have to present their license and insurance papers to the Police. If you wish to use a taxi within the Port expect to fifteen to twenty dollars for the ride to the airport. Also, make sure the bill(s) are not torn even one bit as they will not be accepted.

One final thing about money, hold on to your receipts. Just in case you get a torn bill you will need to present the receipt to get the money changed.

If you are over 60 you do not have to wait in line either just stand beside the first person in line and you will be waited on before everybody in the line as that is the law here. This is useful here because a lot of the bank offices don´t even use lines, you swipe your ATM Card and you are put into a waiting cue based upon what type of relationship you have with the bank. You can wait up to an hour if you do not have a relationship with the bank especially around the 1st and 15th of the month.

I just had my driver stop at a large supermarket and there was a bank office inside it as well as several ATM's. Also there are many in Miraflores. Don't forget to see the water fountain park. A must at sunset.

Jeffrey

Thank you so much for your sound suggestions. Flying to Guayaquil instead of Lima is an excellent idea and it'll give us a couple more days in Cusco to tour around and some flexibility. Thanks again.

You have to fly through Lima to get to Guayaquil.

• 4 weeks later...
From the Port to the airport should be no more than ten soles if you use a taxi outside the Port. The poster that said taxis in Lima can be dangerous is correct. To make sure a taxi is insured and the driver is licensed is rather easy. On the right side of the windshield there should be a sticker that says SOAT which is the authority here that licenses vehicles you should check and see that the sticker has a date within one year. You should also ask to see the taxi drivers license.

The advantage of using a Taxi within the Port is each time they enter they have to present their license and insurance papers to the Police. If you wish to use a taxi within the Port expect to fifteen to twenty dollars for the ride to the airport. Also, make sure the bill(s) are not torn even one bit as they will not be accepted.

First, thank you so much for taking the time to provide all of this helpful information to CruiseCritic members.

We will be departing our ship, on our own, at 10:30 p.m. (22:30) going to the airport. I am not sure if there will be taxi's available at that time. Is it possible to call a taxi from the ship, or, is there any type of airport transport that we can book in advance? I have done searches on the internet and have not been able to find anything.

We're taking your advice about making sure we have a Peruvian meal with wine on our one day in Lima.

Thanks for all the interesting posts on this thread.

I have to say I was a bit concerned after reading about the flights from Lima to Cuzco after 10am. Our flight will be in mid December this year at 1.30pm from Lima to Cuzco. Are there usually problems with cloud cover etc at this time of the year? I'm not sure what the season will be in Peru at that time of the year.

Also, I'd love to buy some small quality craft items and silver when in Cuzco and would be grateful if someone could let me know about their experiences of buying hand crafts and small items of silver.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for all the interesting posts on this thread.

I have to say I was a bit concerned after reading about the flights from Lima to Cuzco after 10am. Our flight will be in mid December this year at 1.30pm from Lima to Cuzco. Are there usually problems with cloud cover etc at this time of the year? I'm not sure what the season will be in Peru at that time of the year.

Also, I'd love to buy some small quality craft items and silver when in Cuzco and would be grateful if someone could let me know about their experiences of buying hand crafts and small items of silver.

Thanks in advance

You have a 50% or better chance of your flight not being able to land in Cusco if you fly after about 10AM. As I have posted so many times, Cusco is in a bowl. The clouds start rolling in about 11AM. When the plane gets to the Cusco area, if the clouds are coming in, the pilots fly around and around looking for the "window" to land. If they don't find a suitable window, back to Lima you go to try the next day (IF there is availability). The times I have had to go back to Lima have been from Nov. 20-December 20 (3 times in 4 years). I ABSOLUTELY do not book flights after 9AM out of Lima anymore. Can you change your flight to leave earlier (they start about 5:15AM)?

I don't buy silver but there are some very nice artist shops in the San Blas area of Cusco. Carlos Chaquiras (sp?) and Chimu in San Blas do very nice jewelry. Galleria Latina has a lot of stuff from the Peruvian Amazon. For top of the line alpaca, "Werner and Ana" make very unusual designs and Montse Acesll (sp?) has extremely fine women's alpaca clothing (I have full length coat from there -NOT cheap-$1180, when something very similar except NOT QUITE as good quality at the Pisac market is $250-400)

I buy most of my "crafty" stuff at the Pisac market or at the factories that supply the sellers at the Pisac market (minimum order-$500 of one product). Look for the hand carved stone chess sets. They are very, very nice. Some of the wood in Pisac is nice. I like the messenger bags (just the right size for file folders or smaller laptops, bright colors-mostly oranges and they wear forever).

Thanks for all the info Greatam. I'll talk to our TA on Monday to see what she can do about changing the flights. I had no idea that there would be any problems about landing, but it's better to know rather than not know.

And thanks to about the info on the hand crafts - I'm looking forward to seeing some and hopefully purchasing some too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. There is a lot to see in Lima (museums, pre-inca´s temples, colonial buildings, market places). The food is excelent. If you want to buy jewerly and silver items you have to go to the calle la paz in Miraflores. Ask the price per grame and be careful that the balance is good.

• 3 years later...
Hello. There is a lot to see in Lima (museums, pre-inca´s temples, colonial buildings, market places). The food is excelent. If you want to buy jewerly and silver items you have to go to the calle la paz in Miraflores. Ask the price per grame and be careful that the balance is good.

For sliver here Ilaria is incredible they have everything from Jewelry to Silver Vases and in every price range. The store on Dos de Mayo in San Isidro is in an old mansion and is well stocked http://www.ilariainternational.com/thecompany.html is the website. 2 de Mayo is the a major shopping street in the San Isidro District which is considered one of the more exclusive urban districts. Next to San Isidro is Miraflores which home to Larcomar a major ocean front shopping mall geared to locals and tourists alike.

Taxi Time from Callao to San Isidro 1 hour to 1.5 depending on traffic.

We are flying to Lima, then flying to Cusco, then back to Lima and on to Santiago. I know there is a Reciprocity fee when landing in Santiago ($160) but is there a departure tax that you pay when leaving Lima? Thanks so much.

We are flying to Lima, then flying to Cusco, then back to Lima and on to Santiago. I know there is a Reciprocity fee when landing in Santiago ($160) but is there a departure tax that you pay when leaving Lima? Thanks so much.

Yes, there are two one to the Peruvian Government and one to the city of Callao. The Government fee is $35 dollars and the one to Callao is $25. Pay in Dollars or they give you a real crappy exchange rate. There are ATM's in the area where you have to pay just in case. All ATM`s in Peru dispense Soles and Dollars and the exchange rates are very good. Use the Scotia Bank Machines because they don`t charge you a foreign bank transaction fee and give better rates than the GlobalNet Machines. I am giving you these rates from memory I am exempted from both taxes because of my Visa. You can also call you airline and find out the current rates.

Edited by jhuntermartin

• 2 weeks later...

Peru is known for their Cuisine and I have been going to this restaurant since they opened in December 2010. Wasabi, it is located in the Miraflores and serves Sushi Fusion. They basically take the traditional Japanese Sushi Rolls and add Peruvian ingredients. It is simply fantastic.

A few things you should know. The restaurant caters to a younger group of people which is no biggie but they built this business on Social Media and Texting so you will see a lot of 20 year olds with Smart Phones in tow. Because it caters to a local market everything is in Spanish including the Menus there is usually a Server who speaks English that can help. Reservations are recommended especially on weekends they can have lines up to 2 hours if you don`t have them. You can do reservations through their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wasabilima.

The service range is from average to superior it just depends on how busy they are. They limit orders to 5 rolls per person when ordering. You also have to pay 2 soles for each piece you dont eat they charge 45 soles around 16 bucks per person for all you can eat and that includes beverages. Master and Visa Card are accepted. In addition to Sushi they have rice dishes and a delicious vegetable dish called Saltado which is number 2 on the page back of the menu you should try it. These dishes are included as part of the price. They also have some crazy drinks which my friends say are worth trying I don´t drink that much.

It a truly wonderful restaurant and a great value and I strongly recommend it.

• 2 months later...
Peru is known for their Cuisine and I have been going to this restaurant since they opened in December 2010. Wasabi, it is located in the Miraflores and serves Sushi Fusion. They basically take the traditional Japanese Sushi Rolls and add Peruvian ingredients. It is simply fantastic.

A few things you should know. The restaurant caters to a younger group of people which is no biggie but they built this business on Social Media and Texting so you will see a lot of 20 year olds with Smart Phones in tow. Because it caters to a local market everything is in Spanish including the Menus there is usually a Server who speaks English that can help. Reservations are recommended especially on weekends they can have lines up to 2 hours if you don`t have them. You can do reservations through their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wasabilima.

The service range is from average to superior it just depends on how busy they are. They limit orders to 5 rolls per person when ordering. You also have to pay 2 soles for each piece you dont eat they charge 45 soles around 16 bucks per person for all you can eat and that includes beverages. Master and Visa Card are accepted. In addition to Sushi they have rice dishes and a delicious vegetable dish called Saltado which is number 2 on the page back of the menu you should try it. These dishes are included as part of the price. They also have some crazy drinks which my friends say are worth trying I don´t drink that much.

It a truly wonderful restaurant and a great value and I strongly recommend it.

Peruvian Sushi sounds interesting but my DH doesn't eat sushi even at home! We will have an full day in Lima this coming June at the end of a Galapagos/Machu Picchu tour since our flight back home doesn't leave until 11:15 pm. I have a number of questions since you've been so helpful in your previous posts.

1) We'll be staying at the Miraflores Park Hotel, and we're pretty avid walkers. Is there a lot to see / do within walking distance of the hotel? Or, is it easy for a non-Spanish speaker to use public transportation to get to the main tourist areas? or will we need transportation or a driver to get to places we'd like to see during the day?

2) How long is the drive to the airport from that part of Lima in the evening?

3) Do you have any other good recommendations to pass on for an early dinner before we leave for the airport?

Thanks for your assistance!

Wendy

to 1) Miraflores is high above the Pacific and the edge of the cliff is adorned with a long narrow park, nice walking with a great view. There is also a modern mall somewhere in the area.

It is too far to walk to the historic district with the main plaza and the churches. If it were me, I would ask the hotel to find a driver or a tour. Several people on this forum has posted companies they liked.

Our food tour (Minka market and restaurant in Miraflores) was great, but I have not specifics since it was organized by the cruise ship.

I remember Lima as having chaotic traffic all day long.