Vancouver Beat Cops Save Cruise

TCF

Radio news in Vancouver is reporting a story today about some folks who were doing a pre-cruise visit to Stanley Park the morning of their cruise. They had rented a car and were off exploring the park when it got broken into and wallets, purses, etc containing their ID and their Passports, as well as cruise line documents were stolen.

The folks headed for Canada Place but were told that they could not board without their Passports. Just when it looked like their cruise vacation was ruined, two Vancouver Police Department Cops showed up at the pier with all their documents and the folks made it on board just in the 'nick of time'!

According to the story, a local 'dumpster diver', (normally a poor person who climbs into street dumpsters to scrounge for recyclables to sell), found the the documents discarded by the thief in a dumpster and gave them to the two beat-cops. The Cops went through the cruise line documents, found the itinerary, and raced to the pier to find the folks!

There are all kinds of good reasons to call Vancouver 'home'....but some reasons are really much better than others! I think events like this can be numbered among them!

A big thanks to the two VPD Officers who have shown our visitors why Vancouver is such a great place to visit.

Radio news in Vancouver is reporting a story today about some folks who were doing a pre-cruise visit to Stanley Park the morning of their cruise. They had rented a car and were off exploring the park when it got broken into and wallets, purses, etc containing their ID and their Passports, as well as cruise line documents were stolen.

The folks headed for Canada Place but were told that they could not board without their Passports. Just when it looked like their cruise vacation was ruined, two Vancouver Police Department Cops showed up at the pier with all their documents and the folks made it on board just in the 'nick of time'!

According to the story, a local 'dumpster diver', (normally a poor person who climbs into street dumpsters to scrounge for recyclables to sell), found the the documents discarded by the thief in a dumpster and gave them to the two beat-cops. The Cops went through the cruise line documents, found the itinerary, and raced to the pier to find the folks!

There are all kinds of good reasons to call Vancouver 'home'....but some reasons are really much better than others! I think events like this can be numbered among them!

A big thanks to the two VPD Officers who have shown our visitors why Vancouver is such a great place to visit.

Hi,:) looks like there are good guys and bad guys all over the

world.....thanks to your Police Dept for helping out those

cruisers!

I wonder if they also found the bad guys:eek:

Thanks for posting this story. I love a good ending!

Hello,

And hopefully the cops will receive something nice from the couple...a donation to their favorite charity or maybe a cruise for their families and themselves.

It is a good idea to make copies of your passport and cruise documents and put them aside from the originals.

Yes, thanks to the VPD cops, but a bigger "good on you!" goes out from me to the dumpster diver! It would not have made an ounce of difference to his plight whether he turned in the passports or not, but he did, so I applaud the guy.

Here's a few more details from today's newspaper. While I'm pleased that this story has a mostly happy ending I'm surprised that tourists would leave wallets and passports in a car in a big city.

U.S. tourists cruising to Alaska after bin-diver finds their stolen I.D.

By Gerry Bellett, Vancouver SunAugust 5, 2009

VANCOUVER — Three Nevada residents are enjoying their Alaskan cruise thanks to the combined efforts of a Downtown Eastside binner and two Vancouver beat officers.

The trio, two women and a man, were in Stanley Park on Monday, before their cruise ship’s departure to Alaska, and had left their wallets inside a rented car, Vancouver police officials Const. Anne Longley said Wednesday.

“Their car was broken into and their wallets and passports were stolen. They reported the theft to police and then made their way to their cruise ship, but they weren’t allowed to board because they had no passport or identification,” Longley said.

The ship was set to sail later that day and it appeared they would miss their holiday cruise.

However, a binner came across the passports and wallets in a garbage bin in the Downtown Eastside and immediately called police.

Longley said it was lucky for the trio that when they filed their theft report, they provided details of where they would be in Vancouver.

She said two police officers — constables Tara Munro and Amy Harris — raced the recovered documents down to the trio just in time for them to board the ship, which sailed at 4 p.m.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

story_print.html%3Fid%3D1863611%26sponsor%3D&C8=U.S.%20tourists%20cruising%20to%20Alaska%20after%20bin-diver%20finds%20their%20stolen%20I.D.&C9=&rn=95764247

My kudos go to the binner, too. He didn't have to turn the documents in, but he did.

Glad the cruisers got their wallets and passports back. But it's a big reminder, "Don't leave valuables in the car!" This applies everywhere.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people would leave things like wallets, passports, cruise documents and all forms of ID in a locked car in an unfamiliar city - or even their hometown for that matter. Either they are very naive or foolishly trusting. These three got a break and a happy ending and I hope that they have learned a lesson the hard way.

Archived