Freedom Of The Seas September 27, 2009 Friends of Dorthy

Ok, I'll take the bait. What is a "Friend of Dorthy"

Is this a dumb question?

Friends of Dorothy is a group of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and transgender cruisers. I believe it is not only a support group but also a social networking group. Friends of Dorothy have meetings on just about every cruise.

By the way, Friends of Bill is a group for recovering alcoholics and addicts. They also have meetings on every ship.

Friends of Dorothy is a group of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and transgender cruisers. I believe it is not only a support group but also a social networking group. Friends of Dorothy have meetings on just about every cruise.

Friends of Dorothy is not an organized group, support or otherwise. Its just a term used to help gay folks find other gay folks.

Friends of Dorothy is not an organized group, support or otherwise. Its just a term used to help gay folks find other gay folks.

My apologies. I thought the group was a little more organized based on what we have seen on board.

My brother and brother in-law are FOD. When we crusied together they took us to the first FOD gathering, there were only 12 there including my Dw and I. What a great group, we spent the rest of the hanging out with them, it was the most fun I've had on cruise.

There is also a seperate forum under special interest cruising which might have a rollcall already started. Here is a link to that forum for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162

Thanks for the link, That is exactly what FOD is. We met up with a good group last year and that is when I found out what FOD was about. The told me it stated in theater when being gay was kept very quite. But there was and actress named Dorothy that loved hanging out with the gay guys so that is how the Friends of Dorothy started. Or at least one story.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the link, That is exactly what FOD is. We met up with a good group last year and that is when I found out what FOD was about. The told me it stated in theater when being gay was kept very quite. But there was and actress named Dorothy that loved hanging out with the gay guys so that is how the Friends of Dorothy started. Or at least one story.

Thanks again.

Close, but the actress only played Dorothy. It was named after Judy Garland's character in The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy. Reason being that Judy Garland is a gay icon.

Close, but the actress only played Dorothy. It was named after Judy Garland's character in The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy. Reason being that Judy Garland is a gay icon.

That is what I thought at fist, but they had told me differently. But there could be may different reasons. I just can't wait!

This would have been the one I was told about. Dorothy Parker.

"This theory of origin, although more widespread, may have more prevalence as the movie and related media stories eclipsed the other possible source, New York City's celebrated humorist, critic and "defender of human and civil rights" Dorothy Parker.[6] Parker, whose rise to popularity was largely limited to literary circles and geographically to New York, predates the popular movie by at least a decade and at a time when gay men had to be more covert so the phrase could have been in use but likely not recorded as such. Thus the phrase could retain its euphemistic meaning even if the commonly understood etymology transferred from Parker to the universally-known movie icon and even-larger celebrity Garland."

When I think of Dorothy I think more of the Golden Girls :)

Archived