Next to the Medical Facility?

cwistyred

Good Afternoon,

We are thinking about taking our first cruise with Azamara on the Quest next spring. We would like to sail in an oceanview cabin category 6 or higher. After looking at the deck plans I was a little suprised to see that the medical facility was located on deck four right in the heart of these cabins.

I am certainly no germaphobe, but usualy the medical facility on most ships is located on a lower level away from all staterooms. Has anyone sailed in any of these cabins and did you have any concerns?

Also has anyone sailed in any of the lonely oceanview staterooms on level 3? There are only a handful of them and I was curious about what they are surrounded by on that level? The deckplan doesn't give any details.

Thank you for any information,

Cwistyred

We were on Journey last December and I had to use the medical facilities due to torn ligament in my knee. Yes, the medical area was on deck 4, but there were no problems. The facility was very adequate, with a waiting room and different exam rooms. The staff was also very gracious about assisting me to the facility.

My care was excellent! The doctor, Jenny, saw me several times, I had fluid drawn from my knee, 2 different medications, knee wrap and the loan of a wheel chair. My total charge was only about $150, less than I would have paid at home. They will also prepare documentation of treatment if you want to file your insurance at home.

Dr. Jenny even went out of her way to see how I was doing.

Don't worry about the medical care or facility on Quest. Just enjoy your cruise and know that they can provide the best care available at sea.

Thank you for responding to my question, I am sure that a reputable cruiseline like Azamara would have a great facility, but what I was really asking was if people who were staying in the cabins near the medical facility felt comfortable being next to the place where people who get Norovirus and other contagious maladies are being treated. I felt ill on one cruise and when I was visiting the doctor the waiting room was filled with people sick with Noro or some other stomach malady, doing what people with those problems do - if you catch my drift. I just felt that if you weren't ill before you went down there, you surely would be now. (I didn't have the virus, I was just suffering from my own "problems") That is why I am curious about what others thought traveling in those cabins on deck four.

Thanks again,

cwistyred

My husband and I always stay on deck 4, mid-ship. (We have been on this ship's configuration twice with Azamara, once when it was Renaissance and once on Oceania.) We have never experienced any problems being near the medical facility. It is quiet, has no "medicinal odors" and, quite simply, makes for a great neighbor. We are booked again on deck 4 for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise. I would not hesitate to endorse a category 6 cabin.

Deck 3 may be 'oceanview' in the brochure but 'oceanpeephole' would be more accurate. Look at a photo of any of the R ships. There's a row of big square windows for Deck 4 cabins. Can you even see the ones on Deck 3?

Hi!

I've been on the Pacific Princess quite a bit and one cruise spent way too much time in medical center as I was injured onboard and the seas were too rough for stitches so I was super glued back together.

The inside of the medical center had 4 seats, now Azamara might have reconfigured.

There were 2 occasions when I went to have my wound looked at,

that there was a line out into the hallway.

One of those times this person was hacking their lungs out.

right outside someones cabin door and not really covering their mouth

Every cruise is different, but personally I would prefer not to be walking through a cloud of germs each time I went to and from my cabin.

Keep in mind, when you are traveling your resistance is low..you're overtired from the flights and pushing yourself through port intensive itineraries.

Also if someone is REALLY sick you might have to dodge puddles of puke

just saying

If you can find another cabin besides the ones facing the medical center

that's what I would do ...

IMHO..

K.

Hi we were in cabin 4018 in May on the Quest and didn't have any trouble with the medical facility. Never was there any sense that you would have a higher likelyhood of getting infected from medical facility. You have to consider that the crew does a good job of keeping the place very clean and the chances of picking something is equal everywhere on the ship. We found this location to be extremely handy as it was easy to get to the gangway, elevators and basically all the regularly used facilities. I have no complaints about this location and would stay there again no problem.

Hi

Last Oct/Nov we were in room 4020 which, as you will see on the deck plans, is opposite the medical facility. As others have said, there is a waiting room in the facility and subsequently we never saw one person waiting in the hallway. To be honest, we hardly noticed that the facility was there and never heard or saw anyone 'being ill' in any form!

We would have no hesitation in booking that room again. We choose a room with a window in the winter time and a balcony in the summer and that's the only reason why we didn't book the same area for our upcoming cruise.

Lynne :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived