A-Rosa Cruise line?

LuAnn

Searched this forum and didn't find anything..wondering if anyone knows any thing about this line? We have CC friends who live in Germany and he has told me this is a good line. I did look at their website and liked the look of the ship (has a pool on the top deck which is a nice feature I haven't seen on other river cruise ships) I understand that all meals are buffet, not just breakfast and lunch. Any information? Thanks! LuAnn

Searched this forum and didn't find anything..wondering if anyone knows any thing about this line? We have CC friends who live in Germany and he has told me this is a good line. I did look at their website and liked the look of the ship (has a pool on the top deck which is a nice feature I haven't seen on other river cruise ships) I understand that all meals are buffet, not just breakfast and lunch. Any information? Thanks! LuAnn

Hi LuAnn

We are sailing on the Rosa Stella in September, our first cruise on this ship but we have ocean sailed many times with Swan Hellenic who are managing this ship. We cant praise Swan Hellenic enough, fantastic. Nothing too much trouble.

I dont think all meals are buffet, dinner is free dinning and when the weather is good barbis onthe top deck. But I will let you know on return.

All excursions are inclusive and there are choices. (small supplement for some). transport to and from berths, no charge, unlike ocean ships.

And expert talkers to inform on history/archeology.

If you have a look at the site you will find they sell out quite early. What does that say? http://www.swan hellenic.com

Carol

LuAnn,

A-Rosa is mainly focused on the German market. So do not expect any other English speaking passengers.

All meals are buffet type including dinner. For dinner they have different themed nights. Everyone is raving on the German cruise boards. And the ships are really nice.

They do have 4 ships on the Danube river doing roundtrips out of Passau and two on the Rhone/Saone rivers. They just christened their first ship on the Rhine river (roundtrips out of Cologne).

They are trying to attract a younger crowd (meaning 40+ instead of 60+:D). They do offer some more sporty shore tours. BTW shore tours are not included. They do have bikes aboard.

It´s a very good 3+ - 4 star product (on a scale up to 5).

Suzanne123, I don´t think they do have any sales rep in the US. But their website is available in English too. You might want to contact them directly.

steamboats

All,

When we were planning our first river cruise back in February, our German friends suggested the A Rosa line and their catalog and web site is very attractive, however, if you don't speak or read German the amount of information, beside the attractive models used in their photographs, is very limited. When e-mailed requesting their English version catalog the reply was that none exists, but they were working on it. It might be available now.

Panzerman

Thank you! Good to hear from you! How are you and the family? We did Viking the time we saw you in Munich..Also considering Uniworld and AMA..your recommendations re best line? A-Rosa sounds and looks wonderful but, as you know, we don't speak any German! And Kajo and Sabine (our friends) like to practice their English when they travel..thank goodness they are kind enough to put up with our lack of their language! LuAnn

LuAnn,

A-Rosa is mainly focused on the German market. So do not expect any other English speaking passengers.

All meals are buffet type including dinner. For dinner they have different themed nights. Everyone is raving on the German cruise boards. And the ships are really nice.

They do have 4 ships on the Danube river doing roundtrips out of Passau and two on the Rhone/Saone rivers. They just christened their first ship on the Rhine river (roundtrips out of Cologne).

They are trying to attract a younger crowd (meaning 40+ instead of 60+:D). They do offer some more sporty shore tours. BTW shore tours are not included. They do have bikes aboard.

It´s a very good 3+ - 4 star product (on a scale up to 5).

Suzanne123, I don´t think they do have any sales rep in the US. But their website is available in English too. You might want to contact them directly.

steamboats

Hi

They do have English sailings operated through www.swanhellenic.com managed by info@allliesuregroup.com (we are sailing on Rosa Stella next month) The excursions are included with this company as are the very expert lecturers. We are flying to Lyon from Heathrow but the option is there for Eurostar/TGV. They also have trips on the Rhine and the Danube.

By the way which group should I put myself into? I am a young 59!

Carol

Carol,

These are selected cruises. So I assume that they are partially or fully chartered. Usually A-Rosa does not have any English speaking lecturers or shore tours.

I said they are trying to attract a "younger" crowd :D. I didn´t say they are succeeding in it :rolleyes:.

steamboats

Thank you! Good to hear from you! How are you and the family? We did Viking the time we saw you in Munich..Also considering Uniworld and AMA..your recommendations re best line? A-Rosa sounds and looks wonderful but, as you know, we don't speak any German! And Kajo and Sabine (our friends) like to practice their English when they travel..thank goodness they are kind enough to put up with our lack of their language! LuAnn

Hi LuAnn,

We´re doing great, thanks! Hhmm, it´s pretty hard to suggest a company. You´re friends won´t be able to book Uniworld or AMA as they only sell on the English speaking market. The only company selling on both markets might be Viking. But they used to have separate ships for each language. They mixed it up a bit. So you might be able to find a ship offered in the US and Germany. The other company having a mixed crowd of passenger might be Lüftner (Austria). CroisiEurope usually has French, English and German as languages on their ships. Anyway they are not easy to book.

steamboats

Hi LuAnn,

We´re doing great, thanks! Hhmm, it´s pretty hard to suggest a company. You´re friends won´t be able to book Uniworld or AMA as they only sell on the English speaking market. The only company selling on both markets might be Viking. But they used to have separate ships for each language. They mixed it up a bit. So you might be able to find a ship offered in the US and Germany. The other company having a mixed crowd of passenger might be Lüftner (Austria). CroisiEurope usually has French, English and German as languages on their ships. Anyway they are not easy to book.

steamboats

Thanks for that information! I didn't even think of that as being a problem since we have sailed with them before...but on Celebrity. Wondering if they could book Uniworld and/or AMA if they emailed my TA here in the US and she booked it? She works for an American Express agency so it's a very large network...guess I should check with her? LuAnn

LuAnn,

Your TA might be able to book your friends. But you have to consider that most companies do include the flights which your friends won´t need. And something which might be more important to your friends: travel law is quite different between the US and Germany. Our payment over here f.e. is secured by law against bankruptcy. Also we do have to pay the final way later than you have to. I know that a lot of Germans do book via an US TA to save money on the cruise. But not everyone wants to do it because of those legal stuff. Your friends should be aware of that.

If your TA is not able to book (might have to use your name and address) maybe you can ask AMA directly. CEO and VP are Austrian and German.

steamboats

Archived