Ordering "Spirits Packages" from Celebrity

Spf12

DH ordered Red but he says it was definitely a liter...

The package was worth it at the high price--very convenient!

Thanks for the response.The way it looks Celebrity is cracking down on hiding bottles in suitcases,so ordering the package is a safer alternative.

Thanks for the response.The way it looks Celebrity is cracking down on hiding bottles in suitcases,so ordering the package is a safer alternative.

Re: the bolded portion, how recent is the crackdown you are alluding to? I am trying to understand if the current position is even more restrictive than what I gather from recent posts. Are you saying the have stepped things up another notch, or are you simply referencing their position from the last year or two?

Slightly off topic, I don't begrudge X selling a liquour package at a premium - it's their business. But I do think they have the price point wrong. At $75 a package, I'd buy two - and sign me up today! At $100 a package, I am inclined to buy 0. (Using the top tier in my example)

Re: the bolded portion, how recent is the crackdown you are alluding to? I am trying to understand if the current position is even more restrictive than what I gather from recent posts. Are you saying the have stepped things up another notch, or are you simply referencing their position from the last year or two?

Slightly off topic, I don't begrudge X selling a liquour package at a premium - it's their business. But I do think they have the price point wrong. At $75 a package, I'd buy two - and sign me up today! At $100 a package, I am inclined to buy 0. (Using the top tier in my example)

Reading posts on RCI boards,and passengers have been "busted" and had to go to security on deck 1 to claim their luggage.Had to open the suitecase,remove the liquor,got a receipt and had the bottle returned the last evening of the cruise.I called Celebrity gifts.The Customer service rep said they are now offering 750ml spirit packages.At 33.8 oz.,their price is a little on the high side.Johnny Walker Red is being offered at$80, Johnny Walker Black is $100.

Reading posts on RCI boards,and passengers have been "busted" and had to go to security on deck 1 to claim their luggage.Had to open the suitecase,remove the liquor,got a receipt and had the bottle returned the last evening of the cruise.I called Celebrity gifts.The Customer service rep said they are now offering 750ml spirit packages.At 33.8 oz.,their price is a little on the high side.Johnny Walker Red is being offered at$80, Johnny Walker Black is $100.

OK, my understanding was folks have been 'busted' for years, which is why I was aksing if this was a new development that stepped things up even another notch.

I think their prices are more than 'a little on the high side', as I stated in my example for premium liquour. $100 for JDB or JWB is a 5x mark up. I'll gladly pay 3x, and pay it twice.

Re the 750ml vs. L question. I have seen it asked around here, and I am not confident it is consistently applied on board, despite what customer service says.

In my response,above ,1 liter =33.8 oz.,750ml = 25.4 oz.

then 1 liter contains 25.5 one and a half oz drinks.At $100 a bottle,the cost is $3.92 per drink,and no gratuity.

750ml bottle contains 16.9 one and a half oz drinks. At $100 a bottle,the cost is$5.92per drink.

Onboard I believe JWB is $6.75 plus 15%gratuity; $7.76 per drink.

I'm sailing on the Connie in Sept. and hope to find out from recent passengers encounters they experienced.

In my response,above ,1 liter =33.8 oz.,750ml = 25.4 oz.

then 1 liter contains 25.5 one and a half oz drinks.At $100 a bottle,the cost is $3.92 per drink,and no gratuity.

750ml bottle contains 16.9 one and a half oz drinks. At $100 a bottle,the cost is$5.92per drink.

Onboard I believe JWB is $6.75 plus 15%gratuity; $7.76 per drink.

I'm sailing on the Connie in Sept. and hope to find out from recent passengers encounters they experienced.

Understood.

I was comparing land retail with full bottle ship price, just as one would do comparing retail wine with restaurant price for example. (As a digression and by way of example, I might find it hard to stomach a 4x wine markup at my favourite restaraunt, but might have no issues at all with 2.5).

What you've done is look at it from the perspective of bar price vs. bottle service, which is analogous to a "wine by the glass" vs. "wine by the bottle" compare. There will always be a premium for each of these services. (wholesale < retail < ship bottle price < ship per drink).

My only point is I think they have priced the bottle service 25% or more too high, and it is costing them more than that amount in sales. I think we generally agree, but I am offering an opinion that they have certainly surpassed the price point by which I would gladly buy several.

DISCLAIMER: All the above is simply my opinion. X knows how to run a cruise line better than me I presume. Carry on!

Your comparisons are correct.In the past I was successful in smuggling a 1.5 liter bottle of JWB in my checked luggage and compared to land prices,Celebrity is making a fortune on their packages.Since Celebrity(RCI)is losing money,they are trying to make it anywhere they can.I buy drinks in the bars,around the pool,and in the restaurants but it's nice to have a drink on your balcony and stateroom.If they get to aggressive in enforcing the alcohol policy,they could lose a valuable customer base.

Have you checked to see if there is anything besides the liquor included in the package? I recently ordered Absolute for our cabin at $80, however, it comes with mixers and nut/snack mix. Granted, that's not alot but it offsets the price somewhat.

Have you checked to see if there is anything besides the liquor included in the package? I recently ordered Absolute for our cabin at $80, however, it comes with mixers and nut/snack mix. Granted, that's not alot but it offsets the price somewhat.

It includes mixers(6 cans) and nuts.

The nuts and soda does not materially impact my cost estimate analysis.

The nuts weren't bad except for the really hot ones & red cashews-- When you arrive you can tell tham what type of soda you want..

We did that package, wine & also a flex vase flower arrangment. The latter did not work out on Solstice--they did not have the flex vase & substituted a normal arrangement--not quite the same value--they let me keep the flowers & gave us a refund-- very nice of them but I still don;t have my flex vase...

Next up on Sostice we will consider doing pretty much the same-- just reg. flowers to avoid the issue of the flex vase, Even though we are Elite , still nice for DH to have his scotch in the stateroom..& no need to carry glass with us-- we have enough to carry on our luggage & bottled water..

We are spending so much for the vacation & the Euro is killing us so at this point cost is beyond us !!!

Does anyone know the bottle size of JOHNNY WALKER BLACK that you can order from the Celebrity web site? 750ml or 1 liter.

This is a true value!Ya might want to include this as part of your checked luggage if your smart!:rolleyes:

Thans for the link--we saw them in the Booklet that came with our docs but now we can just order them on line-

-& they have picture of the flowers that I can print out & compare with what I am actually given..

Archived