Royal vs. Celebrity - Please Help!!

mompolo

My husband and I have sailed with X 3 times in the past, but it has been about 6 years since our last Celebrity cruise.

Last year friends wanted us to go on a cruise - we went on RCC - I think it was the Adventure of the Seas (western Caribbean). We enjoyed the ship very much and thought it was great, but we were disappointed in the food, service and a few other small things.

We are going out to dinner tonight with the same friends and they want to talk about going on a cruise in Feb. 2010 -they would like to go on the Independence 8 day - Eastern Caribbean.

We are going to bring up going on the Solstice around the same time, basically the same itinerary - 7 day cruise -one less sea day. Prices are relatively the same - no big price difference.

Since we have not sailed X recently - are our memories of the spectular food and service out of date or does X still give all that we remember.

Our friend is a big RCC fan and believes it to be the best - but we would really prefer to go back on X -

Please help - give us your honest opinion!!

Thanks!!

My husband and I have sailed with X 3 times in the past, but it has been about 6 years since our last Celebrity cruise.

Last year friends wanted us to go on a cruise - we went on RCC - I think it was the Adventure of the Seas (western Caribbean). We enjoyed the ship very much and thought it was great, but we were disappointed in the food, service and a few other small things.

We are going out to dinner tonight with the same friends and they want to talk about going on a cruise in Feb. 2010 -they would like to go on the Independence 8 day - Eastern Caribbean.

We are going to bring up going on the Solstice around the same time, basically the same itinerary - 7 day cruise -one less sea day. Prices are relatively the same - no big price difference.

Since we have not sailed X recently - are our memories of the spectular food and service out of date or does X still give all that we remember.

Our friend is a big RCC fan and believes it to be the best - but we would really prefer to go back on X -

Thanks!!

We also prefer Celebrity. Have sailed RCL twice over the last few years - Freedom and Liberty. Very nice ships with WOW factor but not much different from Adventure. Food was really bad on Freedom in 2007 but a little better on Liberty in 2008. My understanding is that food has slipped on Celebrity but they have just announced dining upgrade to, in their words, "compete with any land restaurant". I also believe there has been a deterioration is the way people dress on Celebrity compared to when you last cruised. We are booked on Equinox for January 2010.

Thanks!!

Celebrity hands down. We too have sailed Celebrity 4 times and RCCL once. We found the food, service and overall experience very disappointing on RCCL. We go for the itinerary not the ship. RCCL is too big and family oriented for us. You can mention to your friends that their Crown and Anchor membership will give them the equivalent level on Celebrity. This may entitle them to great benifits. We were just on the Summit in April and it was the best one ever, especially the food and service. I hear the newer ship are quite glam.

Claudette

we sail both lines but more & more there is a distinct difference in the type of cruise experience, & cruisers on board...etc/even the ads show the differences..Now that Celebrity has new perks for Elites (that seem even better than the deflated Diamond perks) --we may stick much more to Celeb. except for itinerary reasons...

.you can see a really well done review w/photos of a recent Explorer of the Seas trip to Bermuda on the Royal C Board-- which may help you decide which you would prefer... (We are taking Summit to Bermuda & seeing the pics of Explorer made me realize we chose well for our tastes) I think Independence is even larger than Explorer.. so not sure how they compare...

Our January cruise on Solstice was excellent--it is like a more modern & elegant Radiance Class ship --no big mall with food courts or parades or that kind of stuff! The decor, ambiance, food, service & entertainment was excellent! Jazz, guitar, combos, lively parties in the Sky Lounge--just a great experience.....

-We'll be back on board in Sept...got our docs today!

IMHO the Solstice wins hands down over any other RCL ship - its in its own class so there really is no comparison. The ship has to be experienced to be fully appreciated - elegantly contemporary - and it doesn't feel like there's (potentially) 2850 on board like other ships that size. :)

We also prefer Celebrity. Have sailed RCL twice over the last few years - Freedom and Liberty. Very nice ships with WOW factor but not much different from Adventure. Food was really bad on Freedom in 2007 but a little better on Liberty in 2008. My understanding is that food has slipped on Celebrity but they have just announced dining upgrade to, in their words, "compete with any land restaurant". I also believe there has been a deterioration is the way people dress on Celebrity compared to when you last cruised. We are booked on Equinox for January 2010.

Last Fall we were on the Infinityfor 14 days and the dress code did not detiorate it became more comfortable. The code for most nights except formal night is smart casual and above. Which means they have done away with the informal nights and the rest are casual . Given the cost of luggage on most airlines it was helpful for us to have to take only one large suitcase each and no sportcoats or suits. My DH rents a tux form the ship for formal nights thus assisting us in packing lighter and easier. I saw no T-shirts or jeans in the dining room.

Thanks!!

My first question would be: If your friend believes RCC is the best, has he actually tried Celebrity?

We've cruised on several Royal Caribbean ships, the last time on Voyager two years ago. None of our experiences were equal to any of our Celebrity experiences. Solstice is stunning, but the quality of food varies with each sailing.

"are our memories of the spectular food and service out of date or does X still give all that we remember."

I no longer think of Celebrity food as being "spectacular". It has changed and the menus continue to evolve but it remains superior to the choice we have had on our RCL cruises.

Celebrity's service and staff continues to be superior as compared to any of the competing cruise lines.

My first question would be: If your friend believes RCC is the best, has he actually tried Celebrity?

We've cruised on several Royal Caribbean ships, the last time on Voyager two years ago. None of our experiences were equal to any of our Celebrity experiences. Solstice is stunning, but the quality of food varies with each sailing.

"are our memories of the spectular food and service out of date or does X still give all that we remember."

I no longer think of Celebrity food as being "spectacular". It has changed and the menus continue to evolve but it remains superior to the choice we have had on our RCL cruises.

Celebrity's service and staff continues to be superior as compared to any of the competing cruise lines.

RCCL has upped its game recently. Had excellent food on Voyager a few weeks ago and also three months ago on a B2B on Brilliance. The food on our Equinox Inaugural was very good also - but no better than on RCCL recently.

RCCL has a much more rounded entertainment programme to suit all age groups. Celebrity considers itself a more upscale product than Royal Caribbean. Our preference is definitely for RCCL because of the daily programme activities.

Given the same time frame and similar itinerary, I would pick Celebrity every time. However, we have taken RCCL because it had a particular itinerary available when we were, and have enjoyed it. And, given that scenario, have booked again for next spring on RCCL. Different vibe. RCCL seemed to be a rowdier, let's party crowd, Celebrity a more laid back, more sophisticated crowd. If I remember meals correctly, RCCL is a 3 course dinner, Celebrity a 4 or 5 course dinner experience.

RCCL has beautiful ships, and we enjoyed the wine bar on the main promenade. We enjoyed people we met on both ships, but felt more connected to those we met on Celebrity. RCCL seems geared to the athletic - climbing wall, ice rink (on the ship we were on).

We have a couple of windows a year for cruises - I first look to see where Celebrity is going, and if it doesn't fit, then I look at itineraries and RCCL. We've also talked about trying Princess.

I agree with (what I think is) the consensus. Food on Celebrity was far and away better than our most recent RCCL experience (see signature for ship details).. while I believe food preferences are a matter of taste, on more than one occasion over a relatively short cruise, I found routine dishes (including french onion soup!) to be inedible on RCCL.

I would cruise RCCL again if they offered an itinerary or schedule I could not get on X-- but I would encourage your friends to give X a try, ESPECIALLY if they are the same price! That said, if you are "active" or "party" types, you may be happier on RCCL.

Cruised on RCI this past February and it was very much a disappointment. Now I must say I'm a Diamond Plus member on RCI and Elite on Celebrity, and for me, because of the overcrowded feeling on RCI, the way too many announcements and generally poor food and service, I would stick with Celebrity. I could not believe how very overcrowded it felt on RCI Navigator. Their public rooms are, for the most part, way too small to accommodate their passenger load. Their most popular bars and lounges are terribly small and you can't find seats in places like Boleros, the Schooner Bar and the Champagne Bar at any time in the evening. On the other hand, we've never had a problem finding seats in the Martini Bar, Rendevous Lounge or any other venue.

Thanks!!

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO mompolo: I have been on both lines as well as some others. My honest opinion is that the service is not the same on Celebrity as it once was. However, it is still better than any other cruise line. Reason, they are moving the more experienced people to the new ships and hiring new crew members for some of the older ships. And of course new crew members for the new ships too. The food is still good, but, I think Carnival has better food. My one voyage on RCCL turned me and my wife off RCCL. Food didn't taste good, room service was always well after the time they promised it would be there, we had a wedding party at the next table and they were always drunk. Service in the dining room is substandard. Stick with Celebrity. If your friends insist on going on RCCL wish them a nice trip and go on Celebrity.

Cruised on RCI this past February and it was very much a disappointment. Now I must say I'm a Diamond Plus member on RCI and Elite on Celebrity, and for me, because of the overcrowded feeling on RCI, the way too many announcements and generally poor food and service, I would stick with Celebrity. I could not believe how very overcrowded it felt on RCI Navigator. Their public rooms are, for the most part, way too small to accommodate their passenger load. Their most popular bars and lounges are terribly small and you can't find seats in places like Boleros, the Schooner Bar and the Champagne Bar at any time in the evening. On the other hand, we've never had a problem finding seats in the Martini Bar, Rendevous Lounge or any other venue.

I am going to agree with everything Darcie said here. This is how my DH and I feel. We are looking at a cruise for Thanksgiving and I am looking at Celebrity first. The only reason we are taking the Jewel in May 2010 is we like the itinerary on the Jewel better than Celebrity, but we might just change our minds on that too.

No question on which line is better - have sailed with RCCL and X - X wins hands down - the food id better -the service is excellent - not so many children( I go on vacation with my wife to get away from kids) - the overall atmosphere is just more relaxing and you are not bothered with constant selling - the announcements are kept to a minimum - not a party cruise like RCCL can be sometimes

I'll give RCCL onr thing - the decor on their ships is much more impressive - my favorite ship is the Serenade of the Seas - X ships are very nice but very plain in decor

I'll most likely would sail X until they prove to me they are not the quality line I think they are

Thanks!!

I just came off the Celebrity Mercury and I am confused as to whether it was better than RC Mariner of the Seas....

food...better on RC. Food in he dining room on RC was pretty great in my opinion, you looked forward to it. Food on X was generally good, but it could vary. The food at the pool grill was very good though, and it was great at the special brunch and great at the gala buffet.

The free juices on X are sooooo much better. Like...RC tastes disgusting, but X is actually good!

extra snacks...RC tops X...to an extent. RC has a cafe with pizza, sandwhiches dessert, open 24/7, but then X has a pool grill open all day with burgers, hotdogs, nachos and cookies. It also has a cafe with a small selection of pastries.

entertainment...the shows on X cannot be compared to RC. wayyy better, even the guest acts

decor....RC kind of tops, at least for the 2 ships i went on. X was definitely pretty, but RC more amazing

stateroom...more closet space on X but equal otherwise

service...equal

Celebrity definitely has advantages, like those you listed below. I have been on more Royal Caribbean cruises than celebrity and I, too, prefer the Serenade. However, with the new changes in the loyalty programs, we are definitely considering going on more Celebrity cruises. Also, we like the no smoking on balconies on Celebrity ships.

No question on which line is better - have sailed with RCCL and X - X wins hands down - the food id better -the service is excellent - not so many children( I go on vacation with my wife to get away from kids) - the overall atmosphere is just more relaxing and you are not bothered with constant selling - the announcements are kept to a minimum - not a party cruise like RCCL can be sometimes

I'll give RCCL onr thing - the decor on their ships is much more impressive - my favorite ship is the Serenade of the Seas - X ships are very nice but very plain in decor

I'll most likely would sail X until they prove to me they are not the quality line I think they are

Archived