Are Jeans (not frayed or with holes) Smart Casual?

Lml513

We are leaving on the Sapphire Princess on 8/15. I would like to get clarification on whether jeans are considered Smart Casual. According to the Princess Answer Book inappropriate dinner wear includes "casual jeans with fraying and/or holes". Does this mean jeans without fraying or holes are allowable? It also says that Smart Casual is keeping with "what they wold wear to a nice restaurant at home". There are many nice restaurants, but not the "swankiest" where people wear jeans.

On our Princess cruise last year I wore Dockers on Smart Casual nights, but would prefer to wear jeans (without fraying or holes) on some Smart Casual nights if it is acceptable

The problem of course is in the interpretation of what are "nice jeans". What I might consider "nice" may not be what someone else considers "nice". I'm also one of those who doesn't consider jeans..."nice" or "not nice" to be what the cruise line means by "resort casual". But apparently we're in the minority.

To the OP: You will get verying opinions on this subject. This is one of the hottest topics on Cruise Critic. Just do a search and put in smart Casual wear and all sorts of posts will come up.

'

Marilyn

We are leaving on the Sapphire Princess on 8/15. I would like to get clarification on whether jeans are considered Smart Casual. According to the Princess Answer Book inappropriate dinner wear includes "casual jeans with fraying and/or holes". Does this mean jeans without fraying or holes are allowable? It also says that Smart Casual is keeping with "what they wold wear to a nice restaurant at home". There are many nice restaurants, but not the "swankiest" where people wear jeans.

On our Princess cruise last year I wore Dockers on Smart Casual nights, but would prefer to wear jeans (without fraying or holes) on some Smart Casual nights if it is acceptable

Come on, maybe casual but not smart aka country club casual.

I would agree that jeans are not smart casual IMHO. One thing to consider is jeans add more weight to a suitcase then Dockers would.

The way I see it your on vacation just like I would be if I were going. I honestly don't care what others wear and I never get uptight about it, some people do. I do understand the need for some standards otherwise you would end up with a bigger array then what is already out there.

As you already know, jeans are totally acceptable and I've never see anyone turned away for any reason. They're great for dinner and lounging around at the show afterwords and what you're describing would be fine.

I even was one old fellow once wearing a pair with a hammer loop on the side. :D...and of course they didn't have holes or rips.

If you are asking for Princess' take: Jeans (without holes or fraying) are okay.

If you are asking for opinion, I don't agree and would not wear jeans (nor allow my son to wear them) in the MDR for dinner.

A few people wear jeans, but most do not.

Being that I am currently up to my ears in the child debate, I can't believe I'm dipping my toe in here, but I feel bad as the OP is fairly new here to CC and may not be aware of how contentious dress debates can be.

We noted an increase in the amount of jeans we saw in the dining room on our recent Princess cruise. Perhaps because it was Alaska. It was quite common and honestly, no one even raised an eyebrow. Most people were wearing nice jeans with nice shirts.

Are jeans considered smart casual? Probably not, but Princess now appears to accept them with no problem on smart casual evenings and even though jean wearers are in the minority, the numbers appear to be increasing.

So the answer would be, yes you can wear nice jeans on smart casual nights and you will not be alone.

Being that I am currently up to my ears in the child debate, I can't believe I'm dipping my toe in here, but I feel bad as the OP is fairly new here to CC and may not be aware of how contentious dress debates can be.

We noted an increase in the amount of jeans we saw in the dining room on our recent Princess cruise. Perhaps because it was Alaska. It was quite common and honestly, no one even raised an eyebrow. Most people were wearing nice jeans with nice shirts.

Are jeans considered smart casual? Probably not, but Princess now appears to accept them with no problem on smart casual evenings and even though jean wearers are in the minority, the numbers appear to be increasing.

So the answer would be, yes you can wear nice jeans on smart casual nights and you will not be alone.

Jeans in Alaska must be quite common. We haven't sailed to Alaska since the early 90's and even back then, many wore jeans on non formal evenings to the dining room. So, it seems things haven't changed as much as some would have you believe. ;)

Thank you for all the replys. I realize that this is a contentious issue. Obviously individuals have their own opinions, but it would be helpful if Princess was more precise.

I don't think there is anything confusing about Princess' position. They allow jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights. The only thing that is questionable is whether others on this board will consider it appropriate attire.

Archived