No Bag tags or Transfer Slips?

Cal Cruiser

Actually no one has to make their own luggage tags. The porters have them and it takes about 6 seconds for them to write name and cabin # on them and attach to your bags. Or print them off your computer. If one insists on stewing about it and making their own at home instead of the computer printout, just take a piece of paper, fold it, put name and cabin # on it with a marker and wrap it in clear packing tape, the Scotch kind on a roll you put on pkgs you are mailing. Put a hole in it. That takes about a minute and a half to do. Good grief. Talk about stressing out! :eek:

Between this and the other luggage tags thread, it has been pointed out repeatedly the stevedores on the dock have tags. I have posted a number of times that on our June Maasdam cruise sailing from Black Falcon in Boston, the new tags were in use for those who arrived without baggage tags.

It took an average of ten seconds to write name and cabin number on the tag and attach to the suitcase. They are a different style than those we are accustomed to and it is NO BIG DEAL to get them at the dock and attach to your suitcases.

Don't stress over this. You will have your luggage identified with little to no effort on your part.

[/b][/b]

I don't see anyone saying it will ruin their cruise. Could you please quote that person....I seem to have missed that one:rolleyes:. Yeah....print them off the website.....flimsy paper.....that will hold on to the bags a long time.

Hey, Calgary, looks like it's just you and me dissatified regarding the luggage tag issue and I GIVE UP!!! Frankly, I'm exhausted trying to get through to these people who seem to be perfectly happy going to the expense and trouble of making their own luggage tags. AMAZING. Sure HAL will be delighted, but watch out

when they stop the dearly beloved tiles and tote bags!!!It will only be a matter of time! SIGNING OFF.

I have already printed out luggage tags -- took only a couple of minutes to put them into a plastic cover -- pucnh holes -- will attach them when we are ready to leave hotel.

This way I am saving time for the porters to look at their manifest to confirm our cabin number -- write the cabin number and our last name on the tags.

If some of us don't do this -- at times there could be long lines at the luggage end.

HELP OUT THE PORTERS -- do your luggage tags ahead.

I think it is supercalifragilistic that you can redo your kitchen with HAL tiles! How good is this. I know this is another shallow posty from me but I am so tickled pink about that idea about HAL tiles in your kitchen. Why stop there? How about the lav and say, family room and then we can move on to the LR. Let me know how it works out.

love,

Susie

What do they look like, by the way. I never got one. Are they great?

...Many of today's cruisers cannot/will not pay a fare that will enable the cruise companies to continue doing things they way they always did. They are a for profit business and it is a good business decision (though we may not like it) IMO

If we don't like it...can it be a good business decision?

Sail, you love HAL (as do most on this board) and you have said it about 27,000 times. You are unapologetic about it and that is only proper. You are as enthusiastic about HAL as you are sincere. Good on you!

But jeeze, do you really think its better to not send out bag tags than it is to send them? I don't get it.

You've said it yourself, lots of pax book by phone to which I would add many simply can't use a computer. These are for the most part HALs most experienced and loyal passengers who are used to doing things in a certain way who I can see might get flustered trying to deal with the bag tag thing - especially in the more disorganized boarding processes. There are plenty of those.

HAL may be looking to save a dollar or two. But those bags protect thousands of dollars worth of our property. Why, some peoples suitcases alone can cost over $1000. Then add formal wear etc and, well, you know what I mean. I like the idea of a proper bag tag.

Good business decision? I'm not so sure. Seems cavalier to me.

I like HAL too btw, but like I say - Jeeze.

Smooth sailing to you...

Hey, Calgary, looks like it's just you and me dissatified regarding the luggage tag issue and I GIVE UP!!! Frankly, I'm exhausted trying to get through to these people who seem to be perfectly happy going to the expense and trouble of making their own luggage tags. AMAZING. Sure HAL will be delighted, but watch out

when they stop the dearly beloved tiles and tote bags!!!It will only be a matter of time! SIGNING OFF.

Yeah....I'm so done with this. Just as long as people have tiles and totes all it right with the world. Wonder how long until those things disappear...then....that will be a big deal. Like you stay this is just the beginning.

Actually no one has to make their own luggage tags. The porters have them and it takes about 6 seconds for them to write name and cabin # on them and attach to your bags. Or print them off your computer. If one insists on stewing about it and making their own at home instead of the computer printout, just take a piece of paper, fold it, put name and cabin # on it with a marker and wrap it in clear packing tape, the Scotch kind on a roll you put on pkgs you are mailing. Put a hole in it. That takes about a minute and a half to do. Good grief. Talk about stressing out! :eek:

Okey Dokey!!! Good Luck with the Porters who only have their hands out for tips for your luggage at the frantic arrival to the Port!!! It's moot how long it takes ... it shouldn't be necessary and it's NOT STEWING OR STRESSING OUT... it's making a legitimate point, but I guess that just isn't getting through!!! Talk about being led down the garden path! :D

Yeah....I'm so done with this. Just as long as people have tiles and totes all it right with the world. Wonder how long until those things disappear...then....that will be a big deal. Like you stay this is just the beginning.

I must say I did make one more post to PeachesFromGeorgia who was adamant about us STEWING AND STRESSING OUT regarding the tags, but I promise this is it for ME! UGH they get what they deserve! :D

Okey Dokey!!! Good Luck with the Porters who only have their hands out for tips for your luggage at the frantic arrival to the Port!!! It's moot how long it takes ... it shouldn't be necessary and it's NOT STEWING OR STRESSING OUT... it's making a legitimate point, but I guess that just isn't getting through!!! Talk about being led down the garden path! :D

The people that might experience the most trouble would be a demographic that HAL is very popular with - or so it seems to me.

Smooth sailing to you...

I guess Holland America does not give any bag tags?? So I guess the bag handlers can guess what your room is? I got my Docs to day and no transfer slips either? What do I do when I get off my plane. My T/A called them and they said look for the Holland America sign? I sure hope someone is there to great me? I guess this is something new?

I received HAL bag tags with my documents, no transfers though, I guess I am not entitled to them as I arrive 2 days pre-cruise.

I must say I did make one more post to PeachesFromGeorgia who was adamant about us STEWING AND STRESSING OUT regarding the tags, but I promise this is it for ME! UGH they get what they deserve! :D

My sincere apologizes if I offended, but 2 full pages and over 60 posts with more to come is pretty good evidence that people are maybe over-reacting just a little to having to get their bag tags at the pier at no expense and in little time? If this is such a major deal I hate to think what a real inconvenience would be like. And I am not a HAL apologist, believe me. We have cruised a great deal on HAL and other lines, but tiiles, totes, and bag tags are way at the bottom of things making up an enjoyable vacation.

What I am learning from all of this is that some of you can tile your whole kitchen from those pesky HAL tiles! Wow. What a savings. No need to import from Italy. Just grab them from your cruise. It does not get any better than this. Best wishes.

What would your kitchen look like, tho? Kind of crazy? Let me know. I'd like to follow up on this in case I want to be a kitchen designer. :)

Does everyone realize that within just the past few days there are not 1, not 2, but 3 luggage tag threads? And many of the same posters on each.

Is this not really getting a little nuts here? I've gotten my tags at the pier twice now with no problems whatsoever ... smooth as silk. One less thing to worry about. But if you feel more secure printing them out, then print them out by all means. But in neither case should anyone feel stressed out over such a minute issue. Please.

Seriously, if this is the most stress you get this year count yourself lucky. Be glad you can cruise and have tags to worry about.

What I am learning from all of this is that some of you can tile your whole kitchen from those pesky HAL tiles! Wow. What a savings. No need to import from Italy. Just grab them from your cruise. It does not get any better than this. Best wishes.

What would your kitchen look like, tho? Kind of crazy? Let me know. I'd like to follow up on this in case I want to be a kitchen designer. :)

For the novice cruiser what exactly are these tiles and tote bags?

Did anyone consider just printing out a stick-on label with your name and cabin number on it and fixing/stapling/taping it to the bag tag at the pier?

Wow, talk about a tempest in a tea pot. No bag tags and this is the first step on the slippery slope that ends with us cleaning our own cabins? :p

If we don't like it...can it be a good business decision?

Sail, you love HAL (as do most on this board) and you have said it about 27,000 times. You are unapologetic about it and that is only proper. You are as enthusiastic about HAL as you are sincere. Good on you!

But jeeze, do you really think its better to not send out bag tags than it is to send them? I don't get it.

You've said it yourself, lots of pax book by phone to which I would add many simply can't use a computer. These are for the most part HALs most experienced and loyal passengers who are used to doing things in a certain way who I can see might get flustered trying to deal with the bag tag thing - especially in the more disorganized boarding processes. There are plenty of those.

HAL may be looking to save a dollar or two. But those bags protect thousands of dollars worth of our property. Why, some peoples suitcases alone can cost over $1000. Then add formal wear etc and, well, you know what I mean. I like the idea of a proper bag tag.

Good business decision? I'm not so sure. Seems cavalier to me.

I like HAL too btw, but like I say - Jeeze.

Smooth sailing to you...

With all due respect, the decision to do as other companies in the industry are doing simply does not bother me the way it is bothering others. Of course, just because one does it does not mean others should but I saw it in action in June at Maasdam and it is not the big deal some want to make of it.

I understand their distress about it and honor it but do not share it.

And yes,,,,,,,, I really, really, really do love our HAL cruises. :) And am totally unapologetic about thinking so highly of HAL's crews and personnel.

JMHO...... :)

Does everyone realize that within just the past few days there are not 1, not 2, but 3 luggage tag threads? And many of the same posters on each.

Is this not really getting a little nuts here? I've gotten my tags at the pier twice now with no problems whatsoever ... smooth as silk. One less thing to worry about. But if you feel more secure printing them out, then print them out by all means. But in neither case should anyone feel stressed out over such a minute issue. Please.

Seriously, if this is the most stress you get this year count yourself lucky. Be glad you can cruise and have tags to worry about.

Heather, normally I agree with your point of view but theis time I'm pretty offended by this post. First, like I always say if you are not interested then don't read the thread. It is not mandatory! Second, is this the end of the world....of course not. I'm not "stressed out" about these tags. It's just one more hassle I could do without. My day is filled with how am I going to get everything done I need to in a day...and I just can't keep up with it. Again....I'm out of the house 12 hours a day.......doesn't leave much time for anything else. I'm also trying to hold on to my job through this recession.....not sitting on my money pile at home wondering what to do all day with all my time. So.....I do have much more stress then luggage tags to worry about and it offends me for you to make such a comment.

I often book guarantees and by the time I get my docs, the cabin number has not been assigned. I have never had a problem in 20+ cruises arriving without baggage tags (and several times my assigned cabin number). The stevedores have either filled out the tags for me (takes 20 seconds) or looked up my cabin assignment (takes about 1 minute) and attached the tags.

As a suggestion, I always take a supply of those name and address stickers that I get from my insurance agent, and others, and slap one on each baggage tag as as insurance. I also liberally apply them to my laptop, camera, carry on, and anything else that I would like to have returned.

Heather, normally I agree with your point of view but theis time I'm pretty offended by this post. First, like I always say if you are not interested then don't read the thread. It is not mandatory! Second, is this the end of the world....of course not. I'm not "stressed out" about these tags. It's just one more hassle I could do without. My day is filled with how am I going to get everything done I need to in a day...and I just can't keep up with it. Again....I'm out of the house 12 hours a day.......doesn't leave much time for anything else. I'm also trying to hold on to my job through this recession.....not sitting on my money pile at home wondering what to do all day with all my time. So.....I do have much more stress then luggage tags to worry about and it offends me for you to make such a comment.

I don't think that Heather's opinion is meant to be offensive at all. I am sorry lorekauf if you took it that way. Many of us work hard and time is precious, but we are talking about a luggage tag here and I agree with Heather, many of the posters to this thread are sounding like this luggage tag thing is the straw the broke the camels back. Just waiting for pipedreams62 to post behind that. :)

Hey, Calgary, looks like it's just you and me dissatified regarding the luggage tag issue and I GIVE UP!!! Frankly, I'm exhausted trying to get through to these people who seem to be perfectly happy going to the expense and trouble of making their own luggage tags.
And clearly we're not getting through to you that you don't have to make your own tags.

I received HAL bag tags with my documents, no transfers though, I guess I am not entitled to them as I arrive 2 days pre-cruise.
You don't get transfers unless you pay for them.

What do they look like, by the way. I never got one. Are they great?
CLICK HERE and choose the Tiles link on the left side.

...And yes,,,,,,,, I really, really, really do love our HAL cruises. :) And am totally unapologetic about thinking so highly of HAL's crews and personnel.

JMHO...... :)

Indeed, you are as a refreshing oasis of consistency in the parched, sterile marketplace of ideas. More, we all appreciate that your admiration for HAL extends well beyond its crew and personnel. And why not? This is a HAL board after all.

That said, HAL ticket packages were really over the top. Sometimes they would prepare a full set for each passenger...and send them by FEDEX courier. That was expensive and it was overkill.

What is happening now takes us in the opposite direction - not even bag tags.

How about a middle of the road "Goldilox" solution. Drop the fake leather case and superfluous literature and send out the ticket coupons and baggage tags by 3 -day USMail?

Wouldn't that solution be "Just Right"?:)

It would be IMHO.

Smooth sailing to you...

Indeed, you are as a refreshing oasis of consistency in the parched, sterile marketplace of ideas. More, we all appreciate that your admiration for HAL extends well beyond its crew and personnel. And why not? This is a HAL board after all.

That said, HAL ticket packages were really over the top. Sometimes they would prepare a full set for each passenger...and send them by FEDEX courier. That was expensive and it was overkill.

What is happening now takes us in the opposite direction - not even bag tags.

How about a middle of the road "Goldilox" solution. Drop the fake leather case and superfluous literature and send out the ticket coupons and baggage tags by 3 -day USMail?

Wouldn't that solution be "Just Right"?:)

It would be IMHO.

Smooth sailing to you...

I think this something eveyone could agree on. I would only add that the download still be available to those that prefer it.

In the paper doc days, HAL used to send out extra bag tags to those who called and asked for them. Has anyone yet tried to have current tags sent out by calling?

I asked HAL about the fact that we would be participating in USDirect. We needed our tags before we check in at the airport. She said they would be mailed. We just received our tags (4 tags = 2 each) in the mail for our Sep 19 cruise out of Vancouver. Just the tags and a letter explaining the USDirect procedure.

:)

Archived