What size is a carafe of house wine?

marylizcat

A carafe is simply an uncoveredcontainer for liquid -usually with a flared lip. There is not a formal capacity -- although many restaurants will llist carafe (.75 liter) or half carafe (.375 liter). A full carafe usually holds the same amount as a standard bottle - 4 generous glasses - and a half carafe 2 generous glasses.

Amomondo - thanks very much!

Navybankerteacher - I am well aware of what a carafe is! And the fact that there is not a formal capacity was the reason for my question.....

Are you also well aware of manners? !!!!

to settle things down - on Lirica recently the carafe was 500ml ie half a litre & since normal glass size is 150ml you will get 3.333 glasses from a carafe. We enjoyed it & thought it a quite acceptable soft red wine from Sicily.

owl61 - what exactly have my posts got to do with you? As we say 'who rattled your cage'? Is one not allowed to object to being portrayed as an ignoramus, by implication, on this forum? Why don't you let navybankerteacher fight his own battles?

owl61 - Indeed I am, which is why I thanked Amomondo. However, I objected to an answer portraying me as an idiot who doesn't know what a carafe is!

If you really knew what a carafe was, you would not have asked your original question. Not really knowing is not a problem, but your sort of response does indicate an unfortunate attitude.

I was asking what size a carafe is on MSC ships. You said yourself that the size is variable. So I think you misread my first question. I did not ask what a carafe is. Everyone knows that there is no legally defined size for a carafe, therefore I wondered what size they are on MSC. I hope you now can understand.

I am sorry if I offended you, due to being offended myself! I have no attitude other than one of an offended person! Let us all forgive and forget. Live and let live.

I thank the two people who answered my question.

Everyone knows that there is no legally defined size for a carafe.

Depends on the country. In Switzerland, for example, standard wine measures are 1 or 2 deciliters for wine served by the glass and 3 or 5 deciliters for wine served in carafes. Glasses and carafes even have markings to indicate the measure (except in cases where the wine is being delivered in the bottle rather than being sold by the poured glass or carafe).

Side note: Navybankerteacher's answer to the original question struck me as being informative and helpful in tone.

Now, does anyone want to debate the size of a shot, or whether a Martini is a Martini without vermouth? :-)

Marylizcat - to follow up previous post, I understand the 7 bottle wine & water package is 139 euros. 7 bottles = 5.25 litres so 11 carafes would give you 5.5 litres for 88 euros & ships water is free!

Just curious - which method provides the best wine, and does MSC hold unfinished bottles for you if needed? I know 'best' is subjective, but the people on this site usually point you in the right direction.

Hi Ruffs

As you say it depends what you mean by best. If it is best price then the carafes work out reasonable. They sometimes have better deals (especially for the US Market) on wine packages bought in advance through your TA rather than onboard. The best wines are there (IMHO) their superior wines like the magnificent Amarone de Valpocello - but not everyone wants to pay $99 for a bottle. You basically have to weigh up how much you intend to drink, how much variety you want and how much you are willing to pay. They do keep unfinished bottles for you and bring them back to your table the next evening.

Although we have seldom left a bottle of wine unfinished on the table...do they allow you to take an unfinished bottle with you to your cabin for a night cap?

We are sailing on Splendida in Nov. from Barcelona. [Not hearing much from the Splendida travelers since their maiden voyage in July.]

Although we have seldom left a bottle of wine unfinished on the table...do they allow you to take an unfinished bottle with you to your cabin for a night cap?

We are sailing on Splendida in Nov. from Barcelona. [Not hearing much from the Splendida travelers since their maiden voyage in July.]

When are you sailing in November? We're going out of Rome on the 6th. Also anxious to see a review.

.]

Sorry don't know. I've only ever taken half finished bottles of water out of the dining room. I've never seen anyone taking wine out with them either but that doesn't mean they don't allow it.

Archived