Mid Sized, Middle Age Ncl Ships G-bye

seaventurer

As reported in Maritime Matters (http://maritimematters.com/shipnews.html),

NCL Pass to Star

December 24: Norwegian Cruise Lines announced a plan to transfer six ships, to Malaysian parent-company Star Cruises as it takes delivery of various newbuildings. NCL reported that the "mid-size, middle-aged" vessels, which formed the core of its fleet prior to being acquired by Star, will be switched to the Asian operator between 2005 and 2008. The transfer helps to offset NCL's announcement that it is ordering a 2,384-berth vessel at Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany, for February 2007 delivery and a 2,430-berth ship at the Helsinki facility of Aker Finnyards, for delivery in May 2007.

Marco Polo Orient Lines is my guess for the sixth one going to Star Cruises....I am also guessing the will eventually bring over the Super Star Virgo to NCL - sister ship of the Super Star Leo, now the NCL Spirit...that's my predication...time will tell...

This is great news for the future of NCL but a little sad for those of us who have attachments to the middle aged kids like the Sea and Dream. The Sea,we knew was leaving and it's a pretty safe bet the Wind and Dream plus the Majesty will follow opening up room for even more free style type ships. Progress always brings with it, a bit of sadness.

NMNita

Does anyone have an idea about which super-mega will take over the Majesty's Boston to Bermuda run? I heard rumor that Bermuda will enlargen the cut at St. George to allow larger ships to enter & dock there.

Perhaps a larger ship will be more stable when cruising through the chop of the North Atlantic.

But Wah----I'll be sad to see the Majesty go.

Archived