Camera Price

sandian

Hi There

Wonder if anyone from the island or been there recently, could give me a price for a Canon or Nikon D60 Digital Camera. I have the cost here in Britain but wonder if it would be worth waiting till we get there.

Thanks for any info.

My husband always finds that the camera prices in St. Martin are better than US prices but they don't always have them in the store and you will hear things like it should be in on the next shipment in a couple of days.

Karysa

Hi There

Wonder if anyone from the island or been there recently, could give me a price for a Canon or Nikon D60 Digital Camera. I have the cost here in Britain but wonder if it would be worth waiting till we get there.

Thanks for any info.

Thanks so much, we are going to Spain shortly and may take a trip to Gibralter which is Tax & Duty Free.

Will have a look there, as Hubby worries that if he does not find what he is looking for in St Maarten he will not get the shots that he wants on this our second Cruise.

Hi There

Thanks for any info.

My DH told me that he has good luck finding things at Boolchands but not at the other authorized Nikon dealer in St. Maarten. He also said that his recent purchase of a Nikon D700 was significantly cheaper than in the US or Canada. You could e-mail them and find out the price.

Karysa

While you might get a good price, you might not get a waranty from the manufacturer or one that is valid in the US or Britain. Cameras called grey market are all over the islands as well as the US. If the price sound too good to believe, it probably is.

Your camera might not have the same features as one bought at home and it might just be a knockoff that isn't really a Nikon. Since you will be leaving the Island, and it is a foreign company, what are you going to do if it is a knockoff or grey marked and doesn't work.

Sometimes better to pay at home for something as expensive as a Nikon at home and not worry about any problems.

While you might get a good price, you might not get a waranty from the manufacturer or one that is valid in the US or Britain. Cameras called grey market are all over the islands as well as the US. If the price sound too good to believe, it probably is.

Your camera might not have the same features as one bought at home and it might just be a knockoff that isn't really a Nikon. Since you will be leaving the Island, and it is a foreign company, what are you going to do if it is a knockoff or grey marked and doesn't work.

Sometimes better to pay at home for something as expensive as a Nikon at home and not worry about any problems.

While Grey Market cameras are definitely found in St. Thomas and St. Marrten that doesn't mean they all are and I know that for 100% sure. I have purchased many Nikon items there only after doing my research before going. In some cases they do NOT have a better price than the Internet here in the US but many times they do. You need to consider shipping and taxes (if any) for comparison. Ask to see the US warranty before you buy it, should be in the box. Now in case you wonder how I know 100% sure they are not all Grey market the answer is over the years I have had to send some items back to Nikon in NY for repair under the US warranty and there has never been any problem. They look up the serial number ask for a copy of the receipt and they fix it. I might add they have always been great to work with.

This does not mean you should not use caution when buying, you should. BTW, don't use pricing from say Best Buys as your US pricing they are always way too high. In reality you will find the pricing on the Net is very close now and you can get the camera before your trip and learn to use it first. On the other hand if you really don't need it before the trip and you just want some fun to buy something there and know the price to beat, it can be fun.

D90 US pricing question, the answer is right now body only about $900, D90 kit with 18-105 is going for around $1135. I have no idea about St. Maarten

RallyDave is correct, if the price seems too good to be true it probably is and you see places everywhere (US and the Carib) that are like that, so caution is in order. I really do not know how the warranty stuff works for Britain.

Hope this helps and this is just my opinion, everyone sees this differently.

Wonder if anyone from the island or been there recently,

could give me a price for a Canon or Nikon D60 Digital Camera.

I have the cost here in Britain

but wonder if it would be worth waiting till we get there.

Yes, definitely! :)

I live on Duty Free Barbados (where Duty Free prices aren't much of a deal,incidentally)

and I wait til I get to Sint Maarten to buy camera gear.

That should tell you. ;)

My DH told me that he has good luck finding things at Boolchands

but not at the other authorized Nikon dealer in St. Maarten.

He also said that his recent purchase of a Nikon D700 was significantly cheaper than in the US or Canada.

I've bought a few things at Boolchand's from time to time.

That's where you want to go. Boolchand's

Does anyone know if they carry Canon as well. I just bought the new Rebel and am looking to buy another lens for it while in St Maarten. I have already done tons of research on the price in the US and would like to purchase it while in St Maarten----if the price is right!!!

Thanks,

Karen

Just found their website and they do carry Canon---looks like they have 3 locations in St Maarten so I guess I will start emailing and doing that research before I go.

Most of the big store do carry Cannon but keep in mind they do NOT have the selection you may have in some big places in the US. They usually only carry the popular stuff while you can find older (stuff you don't want) in some small places in town. BTW, I have been able to get better deals at the shops in town away from the pier. Boolchards is not the only game in town but one of the big stores. Remember it may be worth your while to go to several of the big places for pricing and of course make sure they have US warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to it.

Checked prices for the Nikon's this afternoon.

Both shops warned of an upcoming price rise of 12% - 18% from Nikon because of the fall of the Dollar against the Yen.

Current price quote for the D90, body only:

Chulani's Seiko House: $795.

Boolchand's $750.

There was no negotiaton, I just asked for a quote on a future purchase. Both offered better pricing with any package.

Both reported that the D60 had been discontinued, Boolchands had two in stock, but expected to sell in a package immediately. Chulani's had no stock.

gary

Gary - With Chulani the "walk away" price comes with all the extras. Expect to receive at least a high-end case and media card for little or nothing.

In April my wife bought a Canon from Chulani that had only been released to the market 10 days prior. The price was extremely consistent with the lowest internet price where you get scams and inability to purchase just a camera without all the "$pecial add-ons".

Finally got around to it.

Checked prices for the Nikon's this afternoon.

Both shops warned of an upcoming price rise of 12% - 18% from Nikon because of the fall of the Dollar against the Yen.

Current price quote for the D90, body only:

Chulani's Seiko House: $795.

Boolchand's $750.

There was no negotiaton, I just asked for a quote on a future purchase. Both offered better pricing with any package.

Both reported that the D60 had been discontinued, Boolchands had two in stock, but expected to sell in a package immediately. Chulani's had no stock.

gary

Thanks for checking, much appreciated all info has been gratefully recevied.

Gary and/or Kal -

Where is Chulani located?

We might be back in Dec, when they have to give the Explorer away again for the holiday sailing.

Chulani Seiko House at 81 Front Street (near McD's)

Archived