London to Dover

We are considering a cruise that starts in Dover. We'd be flying in from the US to London.

**I use a wheelchair**

Are there trains to Dover? Are the trains accessible to someone in a wheelchair? Am I correct that there's a train station right at the airport -- assuming I can get there by wheelchair?

Thanks!

We are considering a cruise that starts in Dover. We'd be flying in from the US to London.

**I use a wheelchair**

Are there trains to Dover? Are the trains accessible to someone in a wheelchair? Am I correct that there's a train station right at the airport -- assuming I can get there by wheelchair?

London has five airports, two of which are full international (LHR/Heathrow and LGW/Gatwick). For both of these airports, a change of train is required. If you're in a wheelchair, the train probably isn't for you, and I would consider the cruise transfer.

I agree. One downside to the train, for anyone using a wheelchair, is that it drops you at the train station. You still have to transfer by road to the dock. So it will really be easier to get road transport of some sort all the way from the airport to the dock.

Thank you. I was prepared for that answer, I guess! :o But thought, hey, never hurts to ask!

Last time I was on a British train was 45 years ago, when I was 17..and not disabled. We had a lovely trip planned from London north, final destination Whitby.

About 10 minutes out of London our train crashed into a freight train that had derailed, throwing some of its cars up onto our track. Many people killed, many more people injured...fortunately all we (mother, brother and I) had were cuts, scrapes and bruises...ended up booking a car to get to Whitby! :)

DW also uses a travel wheelchair. Actually, it's a travel wheelchair & walker combined. One less item to schlepp.

Next June we will be flying into Heathrow and out of Gatwick. We plan to use a private limo service for all of our transfer needs. Using the cruise line transfer doesn't work for DW. You might also want to get quotes from these companies.

1. http://www.limo.co.uk

2. http://www.britishairportcars.co.uk

3. http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/dover_london_transfer.htm

Many pax. on the Oceania site highly recommend the first company.

DW also uses a travel wheelchair. Actually, it's a travel wheelchair & walker combined. One less item to schlepp.

Next June we will be flying into Heathrow and out of Gatwick. We plan to use a private limo service for all of our transfer needs. Using the cruise line transfer doesn't work for DW. You might also want to get quotes from these companies.

1. www.limo.co.uk

2. www.britishairportcars.co.uk

3. www.londontoolkit.com/travel/dover_london_transfer.htm

Many pax. on the Oceania site highly recommend the first company.

Thank you! Now I have lots of options! :)

• 1 month later...
Try emailing Jeff Palmer with mailto:airport.connect@yahoo.co.uk We are using his company for transportation from airport to Dover for a cruise. :)

I hope this works out for you.

We just used Jeff from Heathrow to our hotel ...then again from London to Dover....Fantastic guy and great service....Hope this helps

Is there a company one would recommend going from London to Dover for a family of 5 - but stopping at Canterbury and Dover Castle as part of the trip? We'd like to tour there the day before we leave for our cruise and it seems the easiest way to do this. I noticed that various companies do this. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

We are also looking for someone to drive us from London to Dover to board our ship but want to spend a few hours along the way sightseeing in Canterbury or Kent as ship departs late in the day.:confused:

I would email Jeff and ask him if they also stop along the way and show you what you want to see. He was very accommodating to everyone. There had to be over 20 people from our roll call who used him whether it was p/u at Heathrow or going to Dover.

Archived