Peaceful quiet areas on board.

bthom70

Out last cruise was a B2B on Majesty Oct 2008.

In 39 days we start our 14night B2B2B on the Enchantment and wonder if things have gotten better fleet-wide with the excessive use of the overhead paging sytem to do everything from rounding up people for bingo to telling us what the drink of the day is. Do they really need to hear their voice so much. Is the Captain standing there with a whip and chains making them announce things so often?

Some of these cruise directors and thier staff insist on non-stop usage of the paging system to annaouce every item in the Cruise Compass and then re-announce it again in 5 minute intervals.

Even worse on our last TransAtlantic there was not a single public space without some sort of event or meeting each and everyday. I asked the CD on that TA directly about this and his excuse was he didn't want everyone to be bored and everyone was having a fun time. I asked what about those that don't want to do anything and are happy with limited events and meetings.

Where are we expected to go and not hear bad music pool side, how many more times do we have to hear the drone of crappy Reggae music?

I know a cruise is what you make of it, we enjoy cruising and will make Diamond this trip, but if RCCL keeps this up we'll go elsewhere.

I'll try my best to deal with it, but come on let us enjoy our vacation we don;t need constant screaming from the speakers and Knitting for dummies or underwater basket weaving each day.

In 39 days we start our 14night B2B2B on the Enchantment and wonder if things have gotten better fleet-wide with the excessive use of the overhead paging sytem to do everything from rounding up people for bingo to telling us what the drink of the day is. Do they really need to hear their voice so much. Is the Captain standing there with a whip and chains making them announce things so often?

Some of these cruise directors and thier staff insist on non-stop usage of the paging system to annaouce every item in the Cruise Compass and then re-announce it again in 5 minute intervals.

Even worse on our last TransAtlantic there was not a single public space without some sort of event or meeting each and everyday. I asked the CD on that TA directly about this and his excuse was he didn't want everyone to be bored and everyone was having a fun time. I asked what about those that don't want to do anything and are happy with limited events and meetings.

Where are we expected to go and not hear bad music pool side, how many more times do we have to hear the drone of crappy Reggae music?

I know a cruise is what you make of it, we enjoy cruising and will make Diamond this trip, but if RCCL keeps this up we'll go elsewhere.

I'll try my best to deal with it, but come on let us enjoy our vacation we don;t need constant screaming from the speakers and Knitting for dummies or underwater basket weaving each day.

Amen. We like Celebrity for the fact that they know you are able to read the Compass and don't make incessant announcements. I think some of the Carnival brand ships don't either. ie. HAL, and Princess.

P.S. That's why I spent more "quiet" time in my cabin/balcony.;)

Hopefully someone from R/C is monitoring this thread. However, they still need to push drinks until they are obnoxious (had to say "no thank you" many times) because ignoring them was not sufficient.

Go to a forward, upper deck for sunning, rather than sitting in sight of the pool. You won't hear the band much, if at all, and the paging system is sort of negated by the sound of the wind! Fewer people there, too!

I agree---how many times do they have to announce Bingo?

Best advice I can think of is on your balcony. On some ships the viking crown lounge is always designated as a quiet area. Check it out. Especially on Majesty its always quiet time up there. Great view also and pleanty of quiet space to read or just sit and have a drink.

Of all of my cruises, I have only heard one crappy Reggae band. I hope RCCL doesn't listen, because I like the poolside bands. :) However, we sit up top and out of direct range to the pool. Can do without all the games and announcements.

Have you tried lounging on the outside promenade decks? Those are usually fairly quiet.

On the Serenade in March, there were very few announcements. They were made in the morning and at lunch time (not in the staterooms). There were no calls for belly flop contest, bingo, or any activities. There were short mentions to check the compass for daily activities in the morning and again at lunch. It made for a very relaxing cruise.

The Solarium was always quiet, and the staff seemed to do a good job of enforcing the rules about quiet and age restrictions (even chair hogs!).

There was almost always music by the outside pool, but I noticed an absence of music in other areas of the ship, with the exception of the Centrium.

My favorite place for peace and quiet is to sit out on my balcony.

I understand your point, but to me I love the announcements and music - they remind me that I am on vacation and not at work!! To each his own.

I have always found quiet places if I needed to, like the Promenade deck (cushy lounge chairs and ocean). Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Archived