Lower price after final payment-what to do?

My final payment is coming due on my next cruise. I booked this cruise thru a TA. They are telling me know that after final payment I will not be compensated any if the prices go down for the category I have booked. When we first booked and I asked about this, I was told something different. The cruise line's website states if it's booked directly thru them, you get an onboard credit if prices are lowered. Does this sound correct? (This is the first time I have booked myself)

Yes, many lines will give you credit even after final payment if the price of your cabin class drops - just so it isn't a 'New Bookings Only' sale.

As for TA's, whatever their rules are, that is how it goes. One reason I book directly. I know there are TA's that honor new prices all the way to sailing, but there can be 'hooks'. Such as not honoring an OBC offered when the price drops; not providing the full price change (just happened to our friends on the same cruise) and as it sounds in your case, either a misunderstanding or they fibbed a bit to you. TA's have to make a living and send their kids to college just as we do.

And there are many reasons to book with a TA, so don't want to turn this into a 'hate TA's/love TA's' and so on.

Denny

It is not your TA. Carnival stopped adjusting price after final payment in early December 2008. If the amount is particularly large, you may ask for an upgrade. Questions about Carnival are best asked on the Carnival board. EM

As Essiesmom stated... with CCL, there are no longer OBC or refunds (unless booked under the "early saver" code) after final payment. There is always a chance that the cruiseline will be willing to UPGRADE you to a higher category stateroom if the rates are the same or lower than what you are currently paying. But any upgrades are at the cruiselines discretion.

Best of luck in your future cruises.

Archived