Vancouver wine store that will box for carrying on board?

raskul

Hi,

We are staying at Pan Pacific and plan to buy some wine/champagne to take onboard our HAL cruise. We could grab a cab and go to any nearby shop, it doesn't have to be the cheapest, but it would be nice if they offer the service of packing the wine securely in a box or cooler that can be tagged and sent onboard with our luggage.

Does any shop offer that service?

Thanks,

Candy

I will also be interested in hearing the options, but remember that you can also purchase wine in the AK ports and bring it on-board. I understand its cheaper in AK than in Vancouver. I am planning on bringing 2-3 bottles on-board and getting more at our first stop in Juneau.

DaveOKC

I know of no one who offers packaging service...the closest BC Liquor store to the Pan Pacific will be in Harbour Centre about 2 blocks east on Cordova. There is a private liquor store at the St. Regis Hotel at Seymour and Dunisuir that may be worthwhile asking; a phone number is included in this link. Yes, all alcoholic products are very expensive in BC, in most cases about double (or more) of what you are used of in most of the states that I am familiar with.

http://www.stregishotel.com/fine_wines.html

Thank you, Putterdude, I've learned a lot from reading your Vancouver thread, it's greatly appreciated. I will follow up with the St. Regis.

It seems there would be a market for this service, I'm surprised no one has cornered it. Unless the wines cost the same on land as they do onboard, that's the only reason I can think of that it would not be in demand?

There could be an issue with a Vancouver liquor store forwarding liquor to the docks. If they drop it off at the dock instead of the customer / passenger doing it, they are technically shipping to the US. (Remember that you pre-clear US Customs at the cruise dock before boarding). I'm no expert on this, but even wineries in the Napa Valley usually cannot ship wine....a licensed shipping service takes care of it for the winery and even those services can't ship to every state. When a company starts shipping booze around things get complicated!

Hi,

We are staying at Pan Pacific and plan to buy some wine/champagne to take onboard our HAL cruise. We could grab a cab and go to any nearby shop, it doesn't have to be the cheapest, but it would be nice if they offer the service of packing the wine securely in a box or cooler that can be tagged and sent onboard with our luggage.

Does any shop offer that service?

Thanks,

Candy

At the Sutton Place hotel, there is the Sutton Place Wine Merchant. I'm not sure whether they would pack it nicely for you but it would be worth looking into.

I know of no one who offers packaging service...the closest BC Liquor store to the Pan Pacific will be in Harbour Centre about 2 blocks east on Cordova. There is a private liquor store at the St. Regis Hotel at Seymour and Dunisuir that may be worthwhile asking; a phone number is included in this link. Yes, all alcoholic products are very expensive in BC, in most cases about double (or more) of what you are used of in most of the states that I am familiar with.

http://www.stregishotel.com/fine_wines.html

The St Regis liquor store is really not that good. To find it, take the escalator down to the Skytrain station off Dunsmuir St, and it's located behind the Tim Horton's at the bottom of the 1st escalator

I was thinking of taking the boxed wine back to the Pan Pacific, and including it with my other tagged luggage that I will send down to the cruise ship the day we leave. They say you can include wine/champagne in your checked luggage.

Archived