Which Caribbean Cruise?

shaklee3

We are planning a trip with several other mid-twenties couples to go on a Caribbean cruise in late Oct/early Nov. I've narrowed down the cruises that we can go on based on the price/time/and ship. However, none of us have ever been to these places, so we don't have any idea which itinerary we'd have the most fun with. Here are the options:

1) Costa Maya, Belize City, Cozumel, Grand Cayman

2) Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel

3) Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios

4) Samana Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, Tortola, Great Stirrup Cay

5) Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios

6) Princess Cays, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Grand Turk

7) Grand Cayman, Roatan, Cozumel, Princess Cays

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you're looking forward to warm beaches, pick one that goes to the ship's island. It'd be a "free" beach day - with lunch included.

#4, #6 and #7 have this AND three ports.

Have you checked out the ports of call board to see what there is to do at each? If you really want to go on a zip-line, or are looking for the best snorkeling or such.

Good luck!

Peg

Thanks. I've been reading the ports of call threads, but it's kind of hard to gauge the entire cruise as a whole by just looking at each port of call. I guess a better question would have been "which ports to avoid, if any". The only place I've been to is St. Thomas, but I don't want to not go somewhere just because I've been when the rest of the people going haven't.

1 and 2 would be good if you like Mayan ruins and less Western development. I enjoyed the ruins alot and I would go again on each of the itineraries you mention. People in Jamaica are very much in your face but Jamaica has a gorgeous landscape - see Dunn's River Falls if you go. However, having been to all of the ports you mention except Grand Turk and Dominican Republic I would still pick number 6 for the private island day (very relaxing), St. Thomas (a beautiful island with lots to do) and St. Maarten (interesting Dutch and French combination with great beaches). Please let us know which itinerary your group selects. Have a great cruise!

First off I'd eliminate any 3 ports because I'd rather see more Islands than days at sea in my opinion and overall costs. Roatan is one of the best snorkeling/diving in the world if you're into that aspect. Mayan ruins are awesome and all islands have white sandy beaches. Have fun choosing!

1, 2 and 4.

1. Western Caribbean is much more fun- lots of fun stuff to do. Belize has cave tubing, zip lining and excellent snorkeling. Coz is gorgeous and you can take a cab to Chankanaab Park for like 12 bucks for four people. Grand Cayman- nice place to stay on the ship and enjoy the privacy!

2. I really liked Roatan Beach. The poverty is pretty hard core but the bus ride to the beach is gorgeous. Cheap straw market and gorgeous beach.

4. St. Thomas is one of the most beautiful places in the world. You can take the ferry to St. John and you will literally be in paradise. The ride into St. Thomas is also breathtaking. Samana is gorgeous and essentially a private beach. GSC I've been to four times and love. Get off the ship and go RIGHT, walk for 15 minutes and you will truly have a private beach- as in no on around at all.

i vote 1 & 2 and have done 3...1 & 2 are the ones i am looking at for the first of the year (next cruise) as hubby wants to swim with the stingrays in the caymans again.....now Dunn River Falls i suggest YOU DO and i am not the type to do that but did and LOVED and i LOVED Jamaica...i think EVERYONE has their favorites and you will get all kinds of suggestions based on what they like...do the pros and cons with all in your traveling group....lots to see and do at all the ports--HAVE FUN and ENJOY:)

We are planning a trip with several other mid-twenties couples to go on a Caribbean cruise in late Oct/early Nov. I've narrowed down the cruises that we can go on based on the price/time/and ship. However, none of us have ever been to these places, so we don't have any idea which itinerary we'd have the most fun with. Here are the options:

Costa Maya is just another part of Mexico that isn't far from Cozumel. Belize is very poor. We visited the Mayan ruins there. Others raved about the cave tubing. It's one of those places where you HAVE to do an excursion. Cozumel and Grand Cayman are part of nearly every western Caribbean itinerary. Both are very touristy, but fun with plenty to do. Grand Cayman is best known for the opportunity to swim with the tame sting rays. It's a fairly wealthy island and very safe to walk on your own. Cozumel has a ton of possibilities. It's a huge tourist destination.

Roatan is also a poor island, but very beautiful. It has rain forests and mountains - very different from Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I avoided Ocho Rios for YEARS, having read that that it was dangerous. I visited there in January and loved it. You may very well be offered drugs. You will face pushy sales people. But the island is lovely and, if you're careful, you'll have a wonderful time there. Stick to the tourist areas and you'll be fine.

Air fare to Samana may be a killer here. It has been for me. People tend to LOVE St. Thomas. I prefer to take the ferry over to the unspoiled sister island of St. John. It is my FAVORITE port. I've always wanted to visit Tortola, but haven't been there yet. I've read it's gorgeous. Stirrup Cay is a private island, isn't it? I've been to Labadee, another of Royal's private islands. They're nice - very relaxing, but mostly just a beach day.

See other notes. Key West is just Florida. I've visited Key West on a 4-day cruise, just to make sure we hit TWO ports during the trip. But it's not really "Caribbean".

St. Maarten is another lovely, southern island. It's half French/half Dutch. Very safe with gorgeous beaches and good shopping. I'm not familiar with Grand Turk.

Princess Cay - is that a Princess private resort? Not familiar with that.

I prefer the southern routes, so I'd tend to opt for #4 or #6. I've tried to make notes above to help you decide. Picking itineraries is so subjective. Do you prefer more unspoiled/less crowded locations? Do you like glitzy, touristy ports? Do you want to visit a lot of ports or have more than one day at sea? How important is the ship/cruise line?

I like variety on my cruises, so if you do one of the western routes, I'd recommend one that includes Roatan, Ocho Rios or Belize. They have different geography than Mexico and Grand Cayman. Belize and Roatan are far less developed than the more common Grand Cayman/Cozumel ports.

Read reviews of the ships and itineraries you're considering. That's a great way to get a feel for whether or not the cruise is for you.

GOOD LUCK!!

Are you confused yet? I'd go with #2 (or 7) even though I'm not a fan of Cozumel (too touristy).

We did the eastern Caribbean earlier this year (similiar to #6). It was "okay". . . just did not have the depth that places like Belize and Roatan do.

Grand Cayman, Belize, and Cozumel are my favorites out of the choices you've offered. Costa Maya is OK for Mayan ruins, but not much else. Samana is a nice beach day, so are any of the Cays. If you go to Tortola you can ferry over to Virgin Gorda to the Baths...amazing fun to wander through the boulders and snorkel! We did cave tubing in Belize and it was a blast...it is a very poor country, but beautiful. It is supposed to have some great diving off the coast at the "blue hole" if you dive. Grand Cayman was our absolute favorite stop by far with the most beautiful water! Good luck choosing from so many great choices!!

Archived