Money for Canada

I am taking my first cruise Sept 6 from Seattle to Alaska and back. We are stopping in Victoria our last evening. What is the best way to have some Canadian money on hand? I am thinking for taxis, etc where I would not use my credit card necessarily. Do the taxis there take credit cards?

What are your experiences and suggestions? Thanks!

I am taking my first cruise Sept 6 from Seattle to Alaska and back. We are stopping in Victoria our last evening. What is the best way to have some Canadian money on hand? I am thinking for taxis, etc where I would not use my credit card necessarily. Do the taxis there take credit cards?

Some taxis take credit cards, but you'll probably have to call for one to ensure that the driver has a machine - a flagged cab may not have the one.

You can get money from an ATM, but inquire with your bank as to the service charge.

You should have no problem spending greenbacks, although you will get the change back in Canadian. It is best then to have a variety of bills so that you can pay with the smallest one possible. Most stores will post the exchange rate, and it will be slightly worse than the bank rate, but not too much (particularly once you take into account the 3 percent cash rate the bank charges.)

A US dollar is worth 1.10 Canadian today. Exchanging at the bank will likely get you 1.07,(3% cash discount) Stores will probably post 1.05. When they ring in your tender, they'll take a $10 bill (US) as $10.50 Canadian, and give you your change in Canadian.

Most taxis take credit cards -- just look for the card logos or ask the driver if you're not sure.

For your short time in port, I'd suggest just using your credit card. You could also go to an ATM for cash. Merchants in Victoria will not refuse your US dollars, but at current exchange rates, don't expect much more than par for your USD and change in Canadian.

I agree virtually all merchants in Victoria and Vancouver will accept $US but as pointed out above, our two dollars are now less the 10 cents apart so you won't get any exchange and you will likely get your change in $CDN as few if any merchants operate a 2nd till for $US. With regard to the use of credit cards, I would suggest that you check with your cc provider and find out what kind of fees they charge on foreign transactions. I have a Bank of America card and from personal experience I know they are pretty good at charging fees when I have accidently used it in Canada.

Remembering that you will receive your change back in Canadian money is the most important thing.

Not a week goes by here in Halifax where I am out when a Cruise ship is in that I see some one complaining and harassing to the poor lady behind the counter at Starbucks because the change for the person's 100 dollar American bill is in Canadian. It makes me so frustrated. I understand your buying something but they are doing you a favor by exchanging the money for you. This is not like the Caribbean where they deal in American all the time and have it on hand.

Sorry about the rant, it just frustrates me:-)

You should be fine. If you want a little bit of local money (a good example is the local bus which wants Canadian$), just buy a souvenier at the shop as soon as you get off the ship. Your US$20 is worth about Cdn$22, and you'll get change in Cdn$. Make sure you get a couple of 'toonies' ($2 coins) and quarters, and the $2.25 bus ride into downtown is covered -- exit cruise terminal slightly to the left and there's a bus stop, grab the #30 or #31 (only ones that stop there)

Other than that, virtuall every merchant and cab will take US$, although perhaps not at the very best of exchange rates. Remeber, the merchants are doing this as a favor to you, as US$ aren't legal tender in Canada, and they need to take them to the bank to exchange.. Lots of ATMs, and most merchants/ taxis take VISA/MasterCard too

Not a week goes by here in Halifax where I am out when a Cruise ship is in that I see some one complaining and harassing to the poor lady behind the counter at Starbucks because the change for the person's 100 dollar American bill is in Canadian.

To be honest, I'm surprised that they'd even consider taking a US $100 in a Canadian shop! With the large number of fake bills in circulation these days many stores won't even take large Canadian bills - most clerks certainly wouldn't even know how to check an American bill for authenticity.

To be honest, I'm surprised that they'd even consider taking a US $100 in a Canadian shop! With the large number of fake bills in circulation these days many stores won't even take large Canadian bills - most clerks certainly wouldn't even know how to check an American bill for authenticity.

That's a good point. If you expect to use US currency, don't expect a merchant to accept US$50 and $100s as they are often counterfeited. Also, you WILL get your change in Cdn$, so please don't argue that. Remember that the US$ is not legal tender in Canada and the merchant is doing you a favour.

• 1 month later...
Is the U.S. dollar readily accepted in Quebec and Montreal as in Victoria and Vancouver?

Yes, almost any retailer in Canada will take US dollars. Same guidelines as posted above, don't expect anything above par right now, and the change will be in Canadian $$.

I found it advantagious to save Canadian money I ordered from the bank because I couldn't spend it here. Sad to say, any US cash I saved for the trip months ahead seem to disappear. Now that my trip is near, I have some nice Canadian cash to spend. Mine's a 2 week cruise so there should be no

problem "getting rid of it".:)

Archived