Portofino or Chops on Mariner

I would like to try a specialty restaurant on my cruise in Jan. I know they both have cover charges and that Portofino is a Steak restaurant and Chops is Italian. Other than the obvious, what are the differences? I heard that one way pair wine with each course? If so, how do they charge for that. What else can you tell me that would help me choose one over the other? Thanks in advance.

Chops is the steak house, Portofino is Italian. We prefer Portofino as you can still have a steak (a FABULOUS filet) plus get pastas (which are fabulous too). And the appetizers and breads/dips make Portofino more to our liking. Typically the meal there for us is: breads/dips, appetizer (we might share one and then each have soup or salad), then a small serving pasta dish, then the main course, then dessert (come hungry!). We've been known to take dessert to go as we're too full!

At Chops the sides are more "family style" (and huge) too from what I remember - they are tasty but it's like ordering ala carte everything whereas at Portofino it seems more like an entree.

This time we are trying the Portofino Wine Dinner where the cost is more (54.50 vs 20.00 per person), there is a "set" menu w/special wines for each course. Maybe this is what you meant?

And honestly, if you can afford it, go to both (Chops $20, Portofinos $20) - you won't be sorry you did

They recommend wines for either place and/or can make a recommendation based on your meal selection.

We ate at Chops last year and thought it was wonderful. Cover charge is now $25.00pp however. If you go on the RCCL website under customer support in the frequently asked questions section under "onboard"-food and beverage, they have the menus for both restaurants. You can't go wrong with either choice. Have a great time.

Anne:)

We were on the Mariner a couple of years ago and enjoyed eating at Chops. The steak was delicious but like someone else mentioned the sides are family style and large which was not a problem for us since we were with my in-laws. Well worth the extra money. Would have loved to done both but never were able to fit Portifinos in our schedule. Enjoy! Can't go wrong with either one of them.

if you are only going to do one I would go with Portofinos. In my opinion the fillet was amazing and was the best steak I have ever had! On my last cruise I ate at chops twice and portofinos once. I made the reservations ahead of time and after eating at Portofinos I had wished I would have booked it all three times. :)

So agree with all on the Filet in Portofinos on Mariner ... outstanding and we're picky about our beef!

We were on a B2B on MarinerOTS and loved both Chops and Portofinos so much we had dinner in either one or the other every night on the second sailing. It was so worth it!

If you possibly can, give them both a try! :)

Personally, we prefer Chops...

My husband and and have been to both Chops and Portofino on Mariner in the past couple of months and because I'm finicky, I had the Filet Mignon at both places... the Portofino Filet doesn't even come close to being as good as Chops, IMO (and my husband's as well)... I did really like the Pear Gorgonzola Salad and the desert sampler at Portofino however.

They have a very nice meal at both places, I would base my decision purely on which menu appeals to you more.

Another vote for Portofino! In addition to what I think is a better menu, I like the ambiance better. It's a little more elegant than Chopswhich is clubby.

But I like them both far better than the MDR. In fact, we may eat in the two specialty restaurants twice each on our upcoming cruise - it's as good a way as any to spend some of the $1100 we'ved saved with price drops!

How can you choose? They're both fabulous. You're on vacation and an extra $40-50 is worth the pleasure of eating at both places and avoiding the MDR. To pick one and only one, I would definitely choose Portofino's also....

I think I'm in the minority. We ate at Portofino's on Voyager and while we don't regret it, the food was fine but incredibly rich. We tried to plan for an empty tummy that day so we wouldn't be full but the sauces were so heavy it was hard to appreciate it. I realize living in Dallas I am lucky to be exposed to every level of fine dining so Portofino's wasn't that "special" to me. The service was actually TOO attentive - I think the maitre'd came over at least 4 or 5 times to ask how everything was. I appreciate the service issue but once or twice is fine, thanks. It was a one time try for us. This time we are trying Chops just to see that experience. And we generally appreciate the specialty restuarants - we dine in them on every Celebrity ship and LOVE them! That ambiance and menu is worth the return but for us, Portofino is not. Just my two cents, I know Portofino is very popular with many, just thought I would present a dissent. :)

Each restaurant has it's own strengths. The only dish that I have sampled that I wouldn't repeat is the veal. The seafood skewer and the filet make a great surf and turf. On our upcoming Serenade cruise we've booked Chops twice and Portofino once. I want to try the veal chop and the lamb this time around.

When you view the total cost of the cruise there are tons of thises and thats to spend your vacation dollars. If someone were to ask about the price of the cabin for the cruise with or without gourmet food I wonder how crowded it would be? Say it was $799 per person with regular dinners or you could pay $940 for the gourmet dining option which would you choose?

We did Portofino on the Mariner (at my request) and Chops on the Navigator (to please my husband.) We BOTH thought that Chops was great but no comparison to Portofino.

The food was so incredibly delicious there that to this day we still talk about how we were sure we'd done ourselves bodily harm trying to eat all the fabulous dishes they brought us! It didn't seem like that much when we ordered, and I don't remember the food being OVERLY rich -- we sure enjoyed it! -- but it was definitely both deadly and to die for!

Originally we weren't sure it would be worthwhile to pay extra to eat at these specialty restaurants when we've had such nice experiences in the main dining room, but oh my goodness, we will never miss an opportunity to eat at Portofino again.

I totally agree that Portofino is far better than Chops. I am not one who liked family style sides, so that to start with, turns me off.

In Portofino I love the carpaccio, caprese salad, (ask for lots of balsamic vinegar) and the pear/Gorgonzola salad. The ribbon pasta with mascarpone Gorgonzola sauce is to die for. I order it as an appetizer size instead of the full size. The filet mignon is wonderful. The dessert sampler is a fine ending to the meal.

I have to say I can't eat all of the things I order because the portions are generous. I am so looking forward to going on Freedom so I can go to Portofino again. Enjoy!

We eat in both at least twice a cruise and sometimes never go to the MDR. Portofino has the better filet, imho, and the wine pairing lunch or dinner is not to be missed. We do both if they are offered since different menu and wines. Chops is great as well and last cruise I had the lamb chops 2 nights and they were the best ever! Treat yourselves, you're on vacation..

Personally, we prefer Chops...

My husband and and have been to both Chops and Portofino on Mariner in the past couple of months and because I'm finicky, I had the Filet Mignon at both places... the Portofino Filet doesn't even come close to being as good as Chops, IMO (and my husband's as well)... I did really like the Pear Gorgonzola Salad and the desert sampler at Portofino however.

They have a very nice meal at both places, I would base my decision purely on which menu appeals to you more.

We have been to both also and prefer Chops. I did not try the steak in Portifino, I had an italian pasta dish so I can't compare the steaks. But the food and overall experience to me was better at Chops.

Although the dessert at Portifinos was better.

Archived