What's the best way to keep in touch w/kids?

jlazz

I'm used to keeping in touch w/my kids via texting. I checked w/my carrier and found out that our cells won't work on the ship. They will work in the ports, but for a price. We've been thinking about getting two way radios. What have you found works best? And do you have any money saving tips?

TIA

I'm used to keeping in touch w/my kids via texting. I checked w/my carrier and found out that our cells won't work on the ship. They will work in the ports, but for a price. We've been thinking about getting two way radios. What have you found works best? And do you have any money saving tips?

TIA

Even two way radios can be a problem because of all the metal the ship is constructed of, some areas two way radios won't have reception at all. If there are very many parents taking radios, and there happens to be good reception, you will also have a problem finding a channel that isn't busy with others trying to find their kids too. Set times to meet is about the only way I know of short of not letting them out of your site. Good Luck!

How old are your kids? We were on board last week with our 15 and almost 12 year old. We were a bit nervous about not having contact with them via text. DH wanted to rent walkie-talkies, but I said "let's try without first" and in the end, we didn't rent walkies.

We'd eat breakfast together and then they would head to their clubs, with instructions on where to meet at noon. When the clubs ended at 5:00, they'd come back to the cabin to hang out until dinner. The 11 year old would usually come back to the cabin at night before we did and when the 15 year old got back, he'd knock on our door to let us know he was back (he was often out until midnight or later :eek:).

Of course, if your kids are younger, this might not be a solution for you...and we weren't totally sure it would be one for us until we actually tried it out. Good luck deciding what to do!

It's not as hard as you may think to find and contact others on the ship. Make plans, tell everyone where everyone will be... make meeting times, leave notes in the cabin if plans change....

The ship's area that you'll be using isn't as large as you may think!

Kids will be spending their time in only a few places....pool, arcade, club, sports deck and cabin!

If your kids are very young, the club will provide a phone/pager to contact you.

Thanks for the info and ideas. It looks like I'm going to be packing post it notes. :-)

My kids are 12 and almost 11. This will be their 2nd cruise, but the first time they weren't old enough to leave the camps alone. I'm sure they are going to want some freedom this time around, so I want to make sure we have some way to keep in touch.

I know some people bring white boards to hang on their doors. Would that be helpful in this situation, or would we make out just as well w/post its in the room?

Thx!

I know some people bring white boards to hang on their doors. Would that be helpful in this situation, or would we make out just as well w/post its in the room?

Post-its inside the cabin would be safer, IMO -- no chance of stray mischief-makers deciding it would be amusing to erase (or steal) your whiteboard. Plus, why needlessly advertise your family's whereabouts to strangers?

Caro

Absolutely NO white boards or note on the DOOR! You are offering your kids' schedule up to any weirdos.

Insist they come back to the room at certain points to check for or leave notes or have a meeting place set onboard. Or they must call the room from a room only phone, where you will be waiting to talk to them.

It is very easy when you set the guidelines each day. If they don't abide, which one of my nephews had problems with :mad:...."tighten the leash"/boundaries for a day or two for their safety and your peace of mind.

Archived