Can I make this flight?

khm1

I am sailing on Caribbean Princess in November. We are supposed to reach San Juan for debarkation at 6 AM. The flight that I want is at 9:50AM. Can I make it? Princess website says that I have a conflict and can't make it. Opinions?

It is unwise to book a flight prior to noon. Just because the ship arrives at 6am does not mean you will debark at 6:01am. Debarkation might not begin until 8:30am and you have to be to the airport one hour head of time. You are not going to clear customs and make it to the airport in 20 minutes. You might not clear customs until 10am, which is 10 minutes after your flight leaves.

Find a later flight.

I am sailing on Caribbean Princess in November. We are supposed to reach San Juan for debarkation at 6 AM. The flight that I want is at 9:50AM. Can I make it? Princess website says that I have a conflict and can't make it. Opinions?

The ship may arrive at 6, but you won't be getting off anywhere near that time. If you are off by 8:30-9:00, you'll be lucky. ;)

We cruise out of San Juan almost every year.

You will not make that flight.

Even with an early departure status you will not make that flight.

Self disembarkation is one of the most idiotic things the cruise lines have done. The lounges and corridors are already crowded and then passengers with all of their luggage create havoc. The exit ramps are fine until you get to the escalator and then it gets down right difficult and dangerous. There is an elevator, perhaps two, but this does not help much. You will have to make a brief stop for US Customs and Immigration and if you have exceeded your limit you can count on another half hour while your fees are accessed.

The pier is a 20-30 minute ride with zero traffic and that's not SJU style.

Check in will take another 20-30 minutes. If you should happen to remove your cruise tags, like we did in November, you must exit the check in and go back to the US fruit and veggie people to get your bags scanned. Only then can you get back in line to get your luggage weighed. FYI my handy travel scale and Delta SJU's haven't agreed for the last four years. The scale seems to work fine everywhere else. My poor DH has had to repack at the counter there more times than I wish to count. He swears it's his shoes.

And then there is our wonderful TSA. I don't know which airline you have chosen but it really doesn't matter. TSA could care less if you are in a rush to the gate.

Seriously, on cruise days SJU is not a user friendly airport. We have been in and out of the airport since the year it opened and I would never plan a flight after a cruise earlier than noon.

Good luck

No way, not possible!

Both the pier and SJU are a ZOO! The best advice is to book a flight for the next day, but if you must go back the same day I personally won't book anything before 3pm - And I barely made a 3pm flight once!

I changed the flight to 1:45 pm. I do not need to end my vacation with a missed flight. When I booked online with the airline, I misread what I had clicked on. By the time that I realized what I had done, it was too late. Thanks for all of your replies!:)

I changed the flight to 1:45 pm. I do not need to end my vacation with a missed flight. When I booked online with the airline, I misread what I had clicked on. By the time that I realized what I had done, it was too late. Thanks for all of your replies!:)
Most USA airlines give you 24 hours (or midnight the next day for some) to cancel your booking at no charge. Check their T&C and CoC, or their "customer first" statement.

Most USA airlines give you 24 hours (or midnight the next day for some) to cancel your booking at no charge. Check their T&C and CoC, or their "customer first" statement.

US Air did not charge me for the change. They normally charge $150 per passenger. I got them to waive the fee. They did charge me for the difference in cost of the flights. I thought that was fair. I found out on my Roll call that another fellow cruiser is planning on a 9:50 AM flight. I think that I will provide the link to this thread. Thanks for everyone's help. I feel much better about the later flight.

Self disembarkation is one of the most idiotic things the cruise lines have done.

While I agree self-disembarkation is not for everyone, it really depends on the ship and the cruise line how effective it is. I have found on many lines, especially with Princess and Cunard, we are able to self-disembark before being kicked out of the stateroom, in which case the crowds are not an issue. Carnival can be a zoo but leaving early is still better than sitting around in a public area waiting to go home.... there is nothing like the disappointment of your cruise being over while dealing with the added injury of watching the staff prepare for the next group of passengers. You feel like the imposing guests still hanging around the all-night party long after the host has put on his bathrobe. ;)

Actually, I find the best option is the tour + airport transfer, since they take your luggage to the airport while you're on your tour.

VJMATTY, if you are talking about Uncle Alan...been there, done that! His bathrobe is just plain ugly.

I know there are cruise lines that allow passengers to remain in their cabins, which does make things so much nicer, but the herd mentality tends to take over and I have seen far too many struggle on the escalators with luggage and I find it frightening. That being said, we have an early flight on our next cruise and are presently debating how we will disembark. I am not looking forward to the prospect of self disembarkation. It certainly will affect how much luggage we take. We are leaving from a new port and before we board I will seek out elevators just in case.

Archived