Cut off time for boarding in POM

We are sailing out of Miami. One of my relatives has their flight arriving at MIA at 3:00 PM. We sail at 5. I have read the invoice and the website stating you need to be onboard 60 min. before sailing. I have been told that is strictly inforced.

I am not looking for advice because it is obvious that the flight arrival time is way, way too late. And so many things can go wrong. I know that.

My question is.....has anyone been denied boarding shorter than the 60 min. cut off time? What is the latest they have allowed you to board before sailing? They used to hold the ship for a delayed flight that had several of its passengers on board. Are those days over? Is the cut off time really strictly inforced?

Thanks for any experiences you can share.

And people need to realize that this is not RCI policy, this is an absolute directive from the Homeland Security. In other words the cruise line has no options or 'wiggle room' here.

I read a thread yesterday that insisted that no one should ever cruise RCCL because they arrived 45 mintues proir to boarding and were refused boarding.

Again people should realize that this is your government speaking not the cruise line or industry and consider that with their righteous indignation.

There was a thread on here recently about a young woman and her bf that were denied boarding in Miami. I believe they were 30 minutes from sailing. They were delayed flying into FLL due to thunderstorms in the area.

They could have flown to the next port in the Bahamas, but they didn't bring their passports so that was not an option.

They've pulled that thread so I can't verify how close to sailing they were, but all the other facts are correct.

If your relative can change his/her flight to arrive earlier in the day, I would strongly recommend it. If it were possible for him/her to fly in the day before and spend the night with you, that would be ideal. If they can't do either, then I suggest they start looking at airfares from MIA to their first port - just to have a backup plan.

Strictly speaking, they have to be checked in 90 minutes prior to boarding. This includes online check-in. I remember the technicality because there was a long thread about some passengers denied boarding on a HAL ship in San Diego - one in the party missed the check-in limit by about 5 minutes I think - and the point was made that had they checked in online, they would have been OK.

This, however, should all be confirmed with RCCL. Personally, I would be blasting my relative for having booked such a stupid flight time and stay on their case until they had it changed, but that's just me... :D

Strictly speaking, they have to be checked in 90 minutes prior to boarding. This includes online check-in. I remember the technicality because there was a long thread about some passengers denied boarding on a HAL ship in San Diego - one in the party missed the check-in limit by about 5 minutes I think - and the point was made that had they checked in online, they would have been OK.

This, however, should all be confirmed with RCCL. Personally, I would be blasting my relative for having booked such a stupid flight time and stay on their case until they had it changed, but that's just me... :D

Actually you must be checked in at the pier 60 minutes prior to sailing. The cruise line must produce a boarding manifest at that time for the gestapo.

Actually you must be checked in at the pier 60 minutes prior to sailing. The cruise line must produce a boarding manifest at that time for the gestapo.

Taken from the RCI website.........

"Due to new government regulations requiring cruise lines to submit final departure manifests at least 60 minutes prior to sailing, guests are requested to complete Online Check-in no later than 3 days prior to their cruise. If you do not complete Online Check-in 3 days prior, you will be required to complete this process at the pier at least two hours prior to the published sailing time. Please note: All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will not be permitted to sail". s.gif

We were on the Freedom in February,, about 1 hour prior to departing, we saw a family of 4 arrive in a cab, they were met by RCCL staff and not allowed to board, we could see them arguing with the staff, but of course could not hear what waa being said. I felt really awful for the kids as they turned around back in the cab and left.

So yes they do enforce the boarding time.

This is the second time in two days someone has referred to US Department of Homeland Security folks as the "gestapo." I bit my tongue on the first one, but I am sorry, using that word in this context is wrong on so many levels I have to say something. The TSA and other Homeland Security folks may have their problems, but I for one am thankful we have at least some security and suspect those labeling these folks as the "gestapo" don't know much about the real Gestapo, or what that organization and the regime that fostered it stood for.

This is the second time in two days someone has referred to US Department of Homeland Security folks as the "gestapo." I bit my tongue on the first one, but I am sorry, using that word in this context is wrong on so many levels I have to say something. The TSA and other Homeland Security folks may have their problems, but I for one am thankful we have at least some security and suspect those labeling these folks as the "gestapo" don't know much about the real Gestapo, or what that organization and the regime that fostered it stood for.

Bravo! While I will admit that I am not a fan of TSA, I do agree with your post. Referring to our L/E officials as Gestapo is wrong. Thank you.

Archived