The Cloud

Autzen

My first post so here goes! We just booked Rio to Ft. Lauderdale in

February. We have cruised only on SS, however only on the Shadow and the Whisper. Would someone be so kind as to tell me what the smaller ships are like, benifits, drawbacks. The last time the Cloud was referbished.

thanks in advance

I can only compare Whisper/Shadow to Wind pre-refurb, but what we love about Wind would apply. The service is more intimate than Whisper/Shadow. If you like the service on Whisper/Shadow, you will probably love it on Wind. We find the food similar.

You'll find the suites smaller on the Cloud. Interior space of 240 sq. ft versus 287 on the larger ships. This is most evident in the bathrooms where there is only a tub and no separate shower. However, as Debbie says, the Cloud is more intimate. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

We just got off the Cloud after the Baltics cruise. It was our first experience with SS. Our previious sailings have been with Cunard, Disney and HAL. The ships are much larger (1300-2800 pax vs 298)

The Clous was in drydock in May. The ship was well maintained. The service was excellent. The smaller ship meant we were able to meet almost all the passengers. Most of the crew knew us by name. We sat with different people each meal, which allowed us to get to know different people.

I could walk from my cabin to the dining room in less than a minute. If I needed a sweater during a meal, I could get it between courses and not miss a beat.

The fewer passengers meant little participation in ship sponsored activities. No one showed up for the two trivia games or the ping pong or shuffle board. The shows had 20 people in attendance.

This itinerary was port intensive, so that was a factor.

The fewer passengers meant little participation in ship sponsored activities. No one showed up for the two trivia games or the ping pong or shuffle board. The shows had 20 people in attendance.

This itinerary was port intensive, so that was a factor.

That's disappointing - Trivia is our favorite shipboard activity!

We just got off the Cloud after the Baltics cruise. It was our first experience with SS. The Cloud was in drydock in May. The ship was well maintained. The service was excellent. The smaller ship meant we were able to meet almost all the passengers. Most of the crew knew us by name. We sat with different people each meal, which allowed us to get to know different people.

I could walk from my cabin to the dining room in less than a minute. If I needed a sweater during a meal, I could get it between courses and not miss a beat. The fewer passengers meant little participation in ship sponsored activities. No one showed up for the two trivia games or the ping pong or shuffle board. The shows had 20 people in attendance. This itinerary was port intensive, so that was a factor.

THANKS! These are very helpful and specific comments that give us a much better picture of what to expect. After doing Seabourn in 2006 for the Greek Isles and Crystal last summer for the Baltics, we are planning on trying Silversea Cloud July 1-16, 2010, from Copenhagen for the fjords, Norway Coast to up above the Arctic Circle. This will be only our third cruise and we are very focused on the port stops, what we will see, do, etc. The ship is important to us and we do not want a "mass mob" that gets too congested and crowded. We like getting to meet and know some of the other passengers, etc. Playing trivia and watching shows is nice, but it's not our top priority or need. Here are a few other questions on the Silver Cloud and/or Silversea:

1. Did the May drydock and upgrades make a difference? Can you see it being better or not "tired and worn"? What seems to be the biggest new or updated detail?

2. Since the ship was first designed in the early 1990's and launched in 1994, does it still work well and look good for today's tastes and needs?

3. For a 15-day cruise with about five sea days, is there enough variety on places to eat, things to do, etc.? Did they have many speakers or programs during your Baltics cruise?

4. For a summer Baltics cruise, what was your sense of the mix of people on your ship, where from, their interests and focus, etc.? Are they bores and/or snobs? Or, hopefully, a nice mix of people, well traveled, interesting?

5. What were your favorite areas to "hang out" on the ship, relax, get away, enjoy?

Any other ideas and comments for such a first sailing with Silversea after our past experiences based on your Baltics 2009 journey?

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

TLC, you are going to have a wonderful time. I've been on about 25 cruises and the Norwegian fjords trip with Silversea is the most scenic and beautiful cruise ever.

The highlight of the shore excursions was an all-day one called "The Roof of Norway". It's expensive (around $250), but so worth it. In case they call it something different, it starts in Geiranger (pretty sure on that -- someplace that starts with a "G") and you re-join the ship in Oye. I feel so awestruck at such beauty.

I cannot comment on the changes that occured with the dry dock as this was our first cruise with SS. The Cloud did not look tired or dated.

There were three venues for diniing, the main dininrg rood, La Terraza and the Champagne room. In the seven days, we did not eat dinner anywhere but the main dining room as the food was good and the company enjoyable. I would like more time to try out the other two venues.

The mix of PAX was middle age-about 50 to 60. Well heeled, educated, sophisticated travelers. Most of the people we met were first time cruisers and new to SS. There was about 20 people under the age of 25, most young adults or older teens. Just a couple of children, all well behaved.

There are two bars, and ample deck space for outdoor enjoyment. There was never a problem finding a seat.

We had a travel expert who lectured three times. Two were very good, one was boring. He missed the mark and droned on and on.

The entertainment was mediocre and sparsely attended, but as I said, the itinerary was so port intensive that people only had time for dinner and bed!

Wonderful ship and great itinerary. I would highly recommend it to all.

Scottjeanne -

I'm looking forward to boarding Cloud in October. Long time SS cruiser so I know many of the crew.

Who was Captain - Cruise Director - Maitre d' - head bartender in The Bar?

No guarantee they will still be on board in six weeks but they might --

Thanks in advance

Dusababy

The mix of PAX was middle age-about 50 to 60. Well heeled, educated, sophisticated travelers. Most of the people we met were first time cruisers and new to SS. There was about 20 people under the age of 25, most young adults or older teens. Just a couple of children, all well behaved..
It looks like the passenger mix varies a lot with voyages (itinerary and date). The following was our experience pre-Christmas, 2007, Panama Canal:

------------

As per the “passenger manifest”, we counted 302 passengers (a few passengers embarked and disembarked at different ports, perhaps on so called “personalized voyages” that this number might vary slightly from day to day). Among these 240 were from various parts of the United States, 26 from the United Kingdom, 6 each from Germany and Australia, 5 from Canada, 4 from South Africa, 3 each from Mexico and Italy, 2 each from France, Austria and Norway, and just 1 from Ireland. You could count all the children on board with the fingers of one hand. There were more octogenarians than those under thirty years of age. The majority appeared to be in their sixties and seventies. A half dozen were on wheel chairs while a score or more used walkers or canes of one kind or another. The fact that this voyage was pre-holiday and fifteen days in length probably contributed to its more mature clientele. We did not detect any difference in treatment for passengers in different categories of accommodation.

Of the passengers, 173 were Venetian Society members (repeat cruisers on Silversea). Thirty seven (including two cats) got their sterling silver Venetian pins together with their certificates in their cabins the night before the Venetian cocktail (being their second time on Silversea). Forty members had more than a hundred days, and those who completed their 100th day on this voyage were presented the Tiffany sapphire pin in the ceremony. Half a dozen couples had more than 350 days, with one couple completing their 350th day on this voyage presented the Tiffany ruby pin and a one-week free cruise voucher. On board were two American couples with more than 600 days and two British couples with more than 400 days.

TLC, you are going to have a wonderful time. I've been on about 25 cruises and the Norwegian fjords trip with Silversea is the most scenic and beautiful cruise ever. The highlight of the shore excursions was an all-day one called "The Roof of Norway". It's expensive (around $250), but so worth it. In case they call it something different, it starts in Geiranger (pretty sure on that -- someplace that starts with a "G") and you re-join the ship in Oye. I feel so awestruck at such beauty.

THANKS, TheFerret, for your key and good comments on both this ship and for these areas along the Norway coast!

Also appreciate the added background from Meow! and scottjeanne. Really helpful. Keep the "good stuff" rolling. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

@dusababy...we will be on the ship end of September and I received the following information:

Captain: Luigi Rutigliano (very nice guy)

Cruise Director: Judie Abbott (fantactic)

Maitre D': Gilbert Lanza - but I am not sure if this information is correct

Hotel Director: Norman Rafelson (I heard he is a very nice guy)

@dusababy...we will be on the ship end of September and I received the following information:

I can confirm all these names from our cruise from Stockholm to London this month. Great people! Good Service.

Only the bar service was poor for the first time I have sailed with SS. Although we have visited the bar after dinner daily, no one was trying to greet you by name (which was the case all over the ship elsewhere!). One of the waiters in the main bar was so untrained, he provided used napkins full of lipstick. When we ordered a glass of a specific red wine, one day we got it, the next day when we asked again he presented the glasses and only by asking to see the bottle, we found out it is a complety different wine. The only comment afterwards was, that he was given this bottle and the other one was not available. If the wine is no longer in stock, fine, but he should tell this to us.

Miriam

Hi Miriam,

I am not on your sailing but I have an offer for your stop in Quebec City.

I offer you a FREE walking tour of Quebec City. Please note that I am not a tour guide (but I know the city quite well) and the tour would be free (except for lunch or anything you might want to buy along the way). I just love my city and to cruise and helping some CC Members to discover our great city is my pleasure. I would also like to hear about the Silversea Experience and your impressions about the Silver Cloud.

The tour would start in front of your ship, walk around Quartier Petit-Champlain, see the Chateau and maybe the Citadel, then the lunch (I have many to suggest). After lunch, we would then walk many areas of interest (Grande-Allée, Manège militaire, business district, St.Jean St., Train Station building, Farmers Market, Seawalk and back to your ship (the tour is a loop).

I want to keep the group at a maximum of 10-12 participants. If you are interested (or anyone else on this sailing).

I hope my offer will interest you.

Archived