ncl ----WHY

phish tales

As I've also sailed MSC and Costa, I regularly go on their boards. Lots of times I've read answers saying "xxxx may not be for you". Every line seems to have a few folk who seem to spend so much time warning people off a particular line.

It's hard to believe that someone could be so emphatic against NCL because of an experience of 20 years ago.

I'm sure the CEO, management, chefs, housekeepers , CD's etc have changed lots of time since then - that's apart from the ships.

Oh please. People on almost every board here tell inquiring posters that the particular line may not be for them -- such as HAL, Cunard, Disney, Carnival, etc. The folks who say that aren't usually intending it as a negative remark -- as in "NCL stinks so it may not be right for you." They are trying to be helpful by saying "NCL is different in some ways and if you don't like those ways, it won't be a good match."

Sorry, but if it were MY company you were talking about, I'd hate my valued customers to be telling MY potential customers to go elsewhere.

It's so much more helpful and rewarding reading the things that make your choice of line superior to the others, even if it's only perception.

I didn't read the whole thread . . . just the 1st & last page

Reviews are opinions. Everybody has one.

I try to figure out if what the poster is saying may apply to me. For example, DH & I love getting dressed up. So if somebody posts that they hate getting dressed up, I know they we have different styles so something that works for us may not be their cup of tea & vice versa.

You also want to see if you can figure out the poster's background, perferences & knowledge base. For example, if they are reviewing something you have already done, see if their opinions & experiences are similar to yours. That review will be more meaningful to you than another one because you have an actual frame of reference.

I'm going to take a balanced review more seriosusly than one that says everything was "perfect" or it all "sucked." Things are rarely that black & white. Although I did learn my lesson the hard way on tripadvisor. If a high percentage of the posts are negative, believe them. Unlike cruise ships, I am learning that there are some hotels that just don't clean. :(

I'm not sure what it would take for me to try NCL again, (I was on Pearl 10 months ago) and it was my worst cruise ever. Keep in mind the people that only sailed once and sailed NCL, and loved it, have nothing to compare the cruise to. If they only knew what else was out there.

I have been multiple times on Carnival, RCCL as well as multiple times on NCL. NCL is my favorite because of freestyle. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, however.

This sentiment is shared by the others that have cruised with me on other cruise lines.

So it is subjective.

If someone cruises on a line and hates the experience so much that they swear they will never sail on that line again then it is highly doubtful that anything that anyone can say would change their mind. If they feel strongly enough it's probable that a free cruise on that line may not be enough to sway them.

I have only cruised twice before, both on Crystal in a Penthouse. Yes it was nice but too stuffy for me. My DH has never cruised and the only way I got him committed was to freestyle where he didn't have to wear a tux or dark suite to dinner. I am really excited about NCL and looking to do the med & the panama canal in the future. Hope I can get on a cruise with "Terry & Doug" because they sound like really fun cruisers!!!

Sorry, but if it were MY company you were talking about, I'd hate my valued customers to be telling MY potential customers to go elsewhere.

It's so much more helpful and rewarding reading the things that make your choice of line superior to the others, even if it's only perception.

Usually, when I see that said-a poster has said something like "I hate HAL because everything closes up at 9 pm" or "I hate NCL, because you wait 2 hours to be seated at dinner," etd.

The other poster has previously tried to reason with them that their point of view is not exactly true, but the poster insists on holding to his view-and so the other poster (in order to be polite and not get into a verbal confrontation) simply tells him/her that perhaps that line is not the best for them. I see nothing wrong with that.

Now recently I, myself, have told posters that- both cases- they had small children, under 2. One wanted to do RCI or Carnival on a 4 day, but wanted activities such as a squirt pool for their non potty trained child or at least some sort of activity that their child could enjoy. I told them Disney would be a better fit for them until their child is older, as Disney had a squirt pool and other activities for very small children.

Another who had booked HAL Westerdam wanted a babysitting service in the evening and HAL does not provide that, Disney does-so again I told them Disney might be best for them until their child is older.

There ARE reasons for telling someone that. We are not all the same-we all have different likes and dislikes, and our situation in life is different at different times-and so at different times, one cruise line may be better for us than another.

I have sailed many times and on several of the lines- NCL, Costa, Princess, RCCL and also tend to do a lot of land-based vacations (5 star resorts). I find that the cruise lines that I have been on have many similarities, esp. wrt food ( I don't think any of them can really compete with a good 5 star restaurant!) so I don't really use food as a decison maker. I tend to now prefer NCL for 2 reasons- 1) I actually prefer anytime dining and 2) we only book suites and there is no other mass market line that can compare with NCL wrt the suite amenities (and at a quite reasonable price).

We have sailed Holland, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity and NCL. We enjoyed them all, but

NCL is our favorite.

We were on the Norway in 2000. We enjoyed it well enough, but I agree with those who said the Norway was an inadequate measure of what NCL has to offer.

Be that as it may, OP, I wouldn't presume to try to talk you into giving NCL another chance. It sounds like you would expect to have a terrible time, so why risk it?

we have heard a lot of negativity about ncl's fleet. food, service. rooms,

staff, ships. etc. etc. we tried 1 ncl cruise and absolutely hated it. it was an older ship (Norway). but the food and crew were still ncl. food was bad, service terrible and we had money stolen from our safe deposit box behind the front desk...... a friend says "give ncl another try" and we said WHY ?????? has anything improved? we hate to spend the money and be disappointed again.

your thoughts.

When planning our first cruise...over a year ago....I did lots & lots of research. This included finding CC and some other sites...plus going on the cruise line web sites and ordering brochures.

Not only were we planning a first cruise...and we really had no idea what to expect...we will also be celebrating our 10th Anniversary...so we wanted it to be extra special.

After all the research...review reading and questions asked & answered...we chose the NCL Gem.

We have no doubts that we made the right decision. But...as others have said....your mindset seems to be negative about them...and that will have an impact on your cruise.

We will go with an open mind and remember that even landbased vacations have problems.

If you decide to give NCL another try...I hope you have a great time.

NCL Gem 2011!

It seems to be the only line where people say "NCL may not be right for you".

That only tells me one thing. I may be the person they are talking to, so, why waste all that money to find out. :confused:

Oooh, I think I'll waste my money trying them ALL out! Call it research.:D

Archived