Nieuw Amsterdam's Dedication/Naming?

sail7seas

Does anyone know for sure if it will take place in Venice as has been mentioned?

Spoke with Stan Kupans on the Eurodam. He will be flying to Venice (or may be there now) to fit out the hotel portions of the vessel. The inaurguation will take place in Venice and she will immediately start her Med voyages.

Carole

John & I were also part of the 2 inaugural CC gang. We LOVED the Noordam inaugural. It was so incredibly special. And we were made to feel that way by HAL. Special events like a black & white ball; a commemorative book about the building of the ship; staff & officers on board giving lectures about the same, with slideshows. Everyone on Noordam's 10-day inaugural out of NYC was considered to be on her maiden voyage. Yes, she made a quick stop in Boston a few days earlier for TAs & VIPs, but that was NOT where festivities were held. We didn't have tix to the event, but everyone onboard was invited to the lounge to attend the inaugural festivities w/Marlee Matlin, Noordam's Godmother. And our own Sail did a lovely job of blessing the bell w/champagne.

Oh Yes......... What a day that was!!! :) What a gorgeous ship she is!

The E-dam inaugural was initially sold as a 10-day voyage out of Copenhagen. Great - a trip to Europe :). In the middle of the summer season. An expensive one :rolleyes:. And then, in about, what, March, HAL decides that oh, wait, since Queen Beatrix is the ship's Godmother, let's have the christening in Rotterdam. So they added a 3-day prelude cruise at exhorbitant prices. We sort of couldn't afford those extra $$ - we really couldn't afford that extra time mid-summer (my John is a heating & AC contractor). So, those of us who for a YEAR had thought we were on a maiden voyage, weren't. :( Only those who were on the 3-day prelude really had any specialness to the cruise.

Now, on E-dam it was fantastic to see friends again. And the ports were wonderful, especially Flam, Norway & the 2 in Scotland. And we loved Tamarind & the Silk Den. But was the overall experience that special to have paid the inaugural premium? No. It was just a nice cruise w/a few sour notes.

I think Greg got it right (he usually does :)) - for us to really consider another inaugural, it would have to be on this side of the pond.

Spoke with Stan Kupans on the Eurodam. He will be flying to Venice (or may be there now) to fit out the hotel portions of the vessel. The inaurguation will take place in Venice and she will immediately start her Med voyages.

Carole

Thanks for the verification, Carole.

Stan Kuppens does such a great job on the take outs. He did Noordam, Eurodam and now Nieuw Amsterdam.

Has Captain been announced yet? Did I miss it?

If you go on the new ship me maybe no new step to look out for. The key here is the new ship[...... As i have sailed the Eurodam last Nov, the step is history..

I trust you will have a wonderful cruise aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, and I hope that all of you are treated far better than we were aboard the Eurodam for her Inaugurals. I do plan to eventually cruise aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, once she crosses "the pond." After all ... I have to "collect" her, in order to complete my "HAL Fleet." :D

Rather than doing the Inagural next year I'm sailing on the Prinsendam to the top of the world at the end of July. Yes, that's an expensive cruise; but it's 22 days, aboard the Prinsendam, on a once-a-year itinerary ... and, for it, I'll be spending LESS than what I spent for the first 13 days aboard the Eurodam.

Susan is right ... after the 3-day prelude of the Eurodam, the 10-day so-called "Inaugural" cruise was treated by the Line and the staff as "ho, hum, just another cruise." Sadly, I can honestly tell Susan that she and John didn't miss anything special by not being aboard for the Prelude. Those of us who paid ridiculously high prices for the 3-day prelude, PLUS $100 per-person to attend the Inaugural ceremony itself, were treated like unwanted tagalongs and riffraff. Yes, we got to go (because we paid) to the ceremony. But, we were not invited aboard the ship afterwards for any of the parties, the dinner, or the fireworks show connected with the ceremony ... there was no meal, no drinks, no nothing. AND, yes, because we paid for it we got to ride on the ship for the 3-day prelude from Rotterdam to Copenhagen. But, that was where the "specialness" for us ended. There were plenty of parties aboard for all the VIP guests -- those who were wined and dined by the Line and invited aboard for the Prelude at the Line's expense -- but we didn't get to go to any of those. There were parties on the first and second nights of the Prelude in the Crows Nest, the Explorer's Lounge, and the Piano Bar, but these were closed parties and they were checking names at the door (several of us tried to crash one and were told to "get out.") Later, on the 10-day Inaugural, there were several receptions, parties, and such ... and most of us got to go to at least one (or more) of these. But that's pretty much like on any other cruise. The parties with the Line Executives were all on the 3-day prelude, and we were not welcome to attend.

In the "dislike" category there were many that ridiculed the atrium chandelier and the erector-set chairs in the Pinnacle bar..

I actually thought the wood chandelier/ceiling (from what I recall) in the dining room did not look like it was finished and I always wondered about that. I say this because we sat at a 2 top along the rail and a larger (maybe 10) below us looked like it was totally in the dark. It looked like the lighting was not completed. Maybe Dutch can comment?

Those of us who paid ridiculously high prices for the 3-day prelude, PLUS $100 per-person to attend the Inaugural ceremony itself, were treated like unwanted tagalongs and riffraff. Yes, we got to go (because we paid) to the ceremony. But, we were not invited aboard the ship afterwards for any of the parties, the dinner, or the fireworks show connected with the ceremony ... there was no meal, no drinks, no nothing. AND, yes, because we paid for it we got to ride on the ship for the 3-day prelude from Rotterdam to Copenhagen. But, that was where the "specialness" for us ended. There were plenty of parties aboard for all the VIP guests -- those who were wined and dined by the Line and invited aboard for the Prelude at the Line's expense -- but we didn't get to go to any of those. There were parties on the first and second nights of the Prelude in the Crows Nest, the Explorer's Lounge, and the Piano Bar, but these were closed parties and they were checking names at the door (several of us tried to crash one and were told to "get out.").

Wow. I remember hearing of problems, but not this.

Wow. I remember hearing of problems, but not this.

Jade, you might want to correct your post. Your quote reads nckvilledudes, but it was actually RevNeal who posted that. He was on the Inaugural; not nckvilledudes.

I was on the Eurodam for the first 13days. I paid extra to see the Queen. But for what I paid for the cruise, YES I was underwhelmed. I thought there would be special things happening for all guest.Though only for the invited guest. I thought we would at least have a special sail away dinner. No, No that was the night of the christening and you had to pay extra as the various hotel and restraurants in Rotterdam. I've said this many times since, I'll not do another inaugural unless I'm the Godmother.

I followed CC well before I ever "signed up" and started posting, and as I recall the "problems" were dislike of cabanas (change happens), a 'step' in the lido (since better identified), the lack of handrails in the Mainstage (since resolved), and category VT balconies (that were as advertised, people just stated they would prefer a fuller balcony and if you notice the NA:4 does not have a category VT).

Was there more that I missed somehow? I don't see how any of these things would hugely or drastically affect those wanting to go to NA:4's inaugural in a major way.

And to answer OP's question, I have heard nothing specific and nothing has been announced, but I would also imagine that the naming, etc will be in Venice as that is where the first sailing departs from and HAL has had many previous namings in Venice

Dutch,

I hope you've had a chance to read the comments by RuthC, RevNeal, & 2bout2c - folks who were on the Inaugural.

It's a shame these folks and other well-respected people on CC (some who haven't weighed in on this thread) walked away with such negative impressions of this inaugural cruise. Many of these are people with a gazillion days on HAL...I find it surprising that nothing special was done for them...never mind they were treated like riff raff!

Ultimately, many of us pay attention to what they say...and after hearing their impressions, there's no way I'd do an inaugural cruise. I doubt I'm alone.

Thanks for the verification, Carole.

Stan Kuppens does such a great job on the take outs. He did Noordam, Eurodam and now Nieuw Amsterdam.

Has Captain been announced yet? Did I miss it?

I did a Google search and did not find any info about the captain being named yet.

Dan

I think when a brand new ship comes on line with a new crew, it takes some time to work all the kinks out a ship. It takes a few sailings to get out the flaws and find out what is wrong with the ship. I think this is particularly true with a new class of ship. The Erodam was the first in the Signature Class. The Zuiderdam was the first in the Vista Class and there were an awful lot of compaints after her first two cruises. The Noordam was the last of the Vista Class ships and by the time she came on line, the crews were more experienced working on a Vista Class Ship and so some of the Vexing things on the Zuiderdam would have been worked out. I am always a bit diffident about a "Maiden Voyage." I would rather wait four months to go on a new ship!

I did a Google search and did not find any info about the captain being named yet.

Dan

Edward Vanzara. He is a magnificent captain . Hope to sail with him soon. his wife sails with him and she is a delight. happy sailing Alsas

Sources tell us that Capt. Henk Keijer, currently famous for commanding the WESTERDAM will bring out the NIEUW AMSTERDAM, then be relieved by Captain van der Snoet, I mean Capt. van Zaane, who is on and off the WESTERDAM learning the intricacies of the bigger HAL ships. He was since her debut in the AMSTERDAM, and his other nickname is "Flagship Ed". It's not a compliment. Don't look to socialize with this guy, he's not usually interested - didn't even host all of the Captain's Table dinners he was slated to host on the atrocious Grand World Voyage 2007.

Archived