Book with PVP then switch to TA

gargoyle999

I have read in the past that if you booked a cruise with a PVP you could move the booking to a TA and the PVP would still get "credit" for the booking. Is that still the case? And even if they still get the credit do PVP's generally dislike people booking with them then moving it to a TA?

I'm not sure about that. I do know if you have a TA you use alot you cannot book thru a PVP. My in-laws use the same TA and wanted to book thru Carnival and the PVP would not book their cruise. Told them they have to go back to the TA. They cannot take business away from the TA are they could lose their job. He would not even answer their questions.

Gargoyle yes you can book with your PVP and transfer to a TA within 30 days. The PVP gets credit and no, they should not mind you transferring.

rkbeaux08 the only reason a PVP would say that is that the person is holding a cabin with a TA (even if you don't know you are). Some TA's will hold a fake cabin for you even if you just call them to inquire about a cruise.

We booked directly with Carnival and then switched our booking to our TA. No problem. I don't know about the PVP getting credit but our TA said she got the same commission as if we had booked with her originally. j

Thanks for the info! Especially the 30 day time limit. But that would work just fine for me. I'm going to try using a PVP for the first time when I book my next cruise in a couple months then see what savings can be had if it gets switched to a TA. :)

I have read in the past that if you booked a cruise with a PVP you could move the booking to a TA and the PVP would still get "credit" for the booking. Is that still the case? And even if they still get the credit do PVP's generally dislike people booking with them then moving it to a TA?

this has been changed so that you only have 30 days to do this. Ken

Sure you can do it. Then not be able to contact Carnival directly about anything to with your booking. But at least the TA gets a commission for doing absolutely nothing.

**putting on flame retardant suit**

I think contacting Carnival directly about my booking is overrated...

**taking off flame retardant suite**

I'm trying to see the loser in this situation. Carnival still makes money off me, PVP gets credit for the booking, TA gets some amount of commission (and it really is for doing nothing as I am a very low maintenance client), and I save $200-300.

As long as the PVP is not loosing money, points, credits, whatever they get for making a booking if I move it to a TA I will use the PVP and switch if I can save enough. If it will cost the PVP something then I will just keep booking without one as I have been doing. I don't wish to take advantage of their services and have them get dinged in the end. But it sounds like that would not be a problem.

I must be booking very cheap cruises, as I generally only save about $50ish by transferring to a TA .... and now the TA charges $25 pp for each change, so if there is a rate drop, the cost to get it wipes out what I saved by giving up control and giving it to a TA.

I quit using a TA. You must be booking more than 2 people or booking much more expensive bookings than I am.

I booked a cruise through a PVP that I have spoke with several times. In past no problem transferring my booking to my TA.

Unfortunatelly when my TA called to transfer my current booking she was told that in May 2009 policy changed you now only have 24hrs to transfer a booking to a TA.

I heard the same thing when two couples were not able to transfer to our CC Group cruise!:(:eek:

Folks have never been able to "transfer" to a Group cruise.

The cruiser must cancel their cruise and then rebook with the Group.

There have always been different rules for group cruises.

rkbeaux08 - I doubt that was the case as I have always booked through a TA and this time booked our b2b (Carnival cruise number 15 and 16) through Carnival directly without any issue. If I call Carnival to book directly they have no right to tell me I HAVE to use a TA. What if you no longer like the TA or something went wrong, you have to use them anyway? Makes no sense.

I must be booking very cheap cruises, as I generally only save about $50ish by transferring to a TA .... and now the TA charges $25 pp for each change, so if there is a rate drop, the cost to get it wipes out what I saved by giving up control and giving it to a TA.

I quit using a TA. You must be booking more than 2 people or booking much more expensive bookings than I am.

I am talking about 2 people, 8 days, Cat 11. That is where the savings really add up. The savings range from $150 for 8A to $269 for Cat 11 for Nov 17, 2010 sailing of the Miracle. It was over $300 savings for the same cruise this past Feb because the cruise cost $225 more than current pricing for Nov '10.

For $50 I'd just keep it with the PVP as well. :)

Wow....thank goodness I checked Cruise Critic tonight. I had no idea about the "new" 30-day time limit to transfer a booking. We use a credit card with "cruise points" (not SeaMiles), and they require you to use "their" travel agent to redeem the points. It's never been a problem before...sometimes I even waited until final payment to transfer the booking. Anyway, I took care of getting it transferred from my PVP to the TA tonight. No problem since the booking was only 3 weeks old. My PVP just called after the fact to say it was all taken care of with the TA. He assured me he still gets "credit" for the booking.

This board is the greatest!

How do you save money by switching to a TA?

Apparently they don't charge the full commission they would normally receive from the cruise line so you end up paying less than if you keep the booking directly with the cruise line. Likely some discount too they pass on if you get combined in a group booking with others on the same cruise using the same TA.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to give an update. I called my new PVP for the first time today. I asked about transferring a booking and it is no problem and she says it can be done anytime before final payment, nothing said about a 30 day limit.

Maybe this is one more rule Carnival isnt enforcing... let us know if it transfers more than 30 days after the booking.

I'm not sure about that. I do know if you have a TA you use alot you cannot book thru a PVP. My in-laws use the same TA and wanted to book thru Carnival and the PVP would not book their cruise. Told them they have to go back to the TA. They cannot take business away from the TA are they could lose their job. He would not even answer their questions.

We had a PVP and she did nothing for us so we went with a TA on the last two cruises. I went with a PVP on this next cruise in January and was never told that we had to go back to the TA.

I swear you could put 50 PVP in a room and they would give you 50 different answers to the same question.

Maybe this is one more rule Carnival isn't enforcing... let us know if it transfers more than 30 days after the booking.

I have to tell you when I tried to transfer my Glory booking, I was told no way because it is more than 30 days etc. My TA talked to her Carnival rep and got it done as a 1 time thing for her agency.

When I tried a couple of weeks later to do my Dream reservation, my PVP only asked me why I was doing it. I told him and it was transferred. I said is there a problem that it's over 30 days? He said he checked before doing it , so I got it transferred with no problem. I am guessing that with so many complaints from passengers and TA's that it's been changed back, or else the reservations up to x date are considered grandfathered and are ok to transfer.

Archived