Holland sailing from N.Y in 2010?

Frankie Sue

I have looked at booking the QM2 for November 2010 based on their 11 nights itinerary in the Carribean, sailing from N.Y.

We will definitely sail from N.Y. in the Fall of 2010. However, I am a bit hesitant in going ahead and booking the QM2 because if Holland America were to offer a similar itinerary, we would jump at it. We did their last sailing from N.Y on the Noordam and just loved the ease of driving and parking at the cruise port.

So, any of you fellow cruise critic members have any idea or heard any rumors that Holland American may come back to N.Y. in 2010??

I look forward to reading you.

Thanks, I had seen the Bermuda itinerary. Unfortunately, the latest sailing date is Oct. 03, the itinerary is only 7 days and Bermuda only. It looks to me like the ship will become a hotel anchored in Bermuda before returning to N.Y. Not very inspiring in my opinion.

We are looking at something more of a "true" cruise itinerary. Any chance it may happen? When the Noordam was sailing from N.Y., it was a great 10 days itinerary including HMC, San Juan, Aruba, St-Thomas, etc.....

Can we convince Holland America to come back to N.Y??

FrankieSue, we did that itinerary twice on the Noordam, in February '07 and again in '08. Fabulous. I would love for them to do it again, but haven't heard a peep in that regard. I don't think it's likely to happen anytime soon...unfortunately.

We're booked on the 10/03 Veendam to Bermuda along with several others from the Noordam "Voyage of the Good Nuts" last February. Looking forward to it as we haven't been to Bermuda for several years.

I sailed the Noordam out of NYC to the Caribbean in 07 and 08 and loved it. I doubt very much that HAL will return a ship to NY to go to the Caribbean. One of the reasons they cancelled the route was the expense of the fuel for two days down and two days back. I don't think they will change their plans for 2010.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

We also sailed the Noordam in 07 (X-Mas) and 08 (X-Mas and New Years). Two of the BEST cruises we've ever been on. Both these times the ship was totally sold out. Carnival and NCL sail to the Caribbean and Bahamas on a daily basis, and probably would not do this if they lost money. We have already booked the Veendam for Bermuda next year. Not sure how HAL can say they lost money sailing from NY when the majority (from what I've read on these boards) of their sailings were full. If it is such an expense, then how does NCL and Carnival do it?? We met many people on both NCL and Carnival who have stated that, like us, they were sailing these lines because it was their only option from NY. However, many said that they would LOVE to have been sailing on HAL. I had posted a while back asking if people would be willing to pay a little more (the cost of the air fare to fly to meet a HAL ship) if they would return to NY. I know I would.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
In these economic times HAL would never consider cruises out of NY to the Caribbean -- high cost of fuel right now -- and it doesn't look as though it will go down any time soon to be cost effective for 2 days at sea at the beginning of the cruise and then 2 more at the end.

But that's exacytly what NCL and Carnival are both doing from NY. Do you think they would keep doing it if they lost $$?? The only thing I can think of, is since Carnival owns HAL, they don't want the extra competition.

Aside from the ease of driving to the port, the 2 days at sea at the beginning of the cruise and the 2 days at sea at the end of the cruise is what we are looking forward to when cruising from N.Y. and of course the magnificient view of that elegant lady Liberty.

Honestly, I don't know why Holland is not reconsidering...... Maybe we should petition them.

Love to hear your views

Aside from the ease of driving to the port, the 2 days at sea at the beginning of the cruise and the 2 days at sea at the end of the cruise is what we are looking forward to when cruising from N.Y. and of course the magnificient view of that elegant lady Liberty.

Honestly, I don't know why Holland is not reconsidering...... Maybe we should petition them.

Love to hear your views

We agree. We just came back from an 8 day Grand Turk/HMC/Nassau on the Carnival Miracle from NYC last week and loved having the 2 sea days at the beginning and end. Made for a much more relaxing cruise for us. Our favorite cruise, however, was a 12 day Mediterranean on the Zuiderdam, however. If HAL plans to do a Caribbean from NYC again, we will be on it!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Love to hear your views

Where do I sign! LOL

We are a group of couples, 3-5 who cruise every year. Love BERMUDA, St George and Hamilton, too not just Kings Wharf, and live in NJ so love cruising without flying. We have 4 RCL's, 1 Celebrity, 1QM2, 2 Princess, 1 NCL and 1 NCLA. We know nothing of HAL. We are late 50's early 60 to mid 60's. Do not want to spend our vacation with others children. Some who are very rude, disruptive and everywhere! RCL's Solarium, love it! Princess's Sanctuary, love it! What can we expect from HAL? Compare to? Any info and input would be appreciated. Now that we are back form our fantastic 9 night out of Bayonne on the Explorer we need to start planning next years cruise!

What you like from a cruise can be different for everyone. For us Holland is elegant and smaller ships than other lines, fantastic itineraries, very few loud speaker announcements, no hard sales from the staff, better and bigger cabins than other lines, fantastic beds, quiet elegance, wonderful promenade deck with teak floors and steamer chairs, great food...... need I say more. Ah yes, I forgot but not the least, Half Moon Cay......

I hope that this helps.

We are a group of couples, 3-5 who cruise every year. Love BERMUDA, St George and Hamilton, too not just Kings Wharf, and live in NJ so love cruising without flying. We have 4 RCL's, 1 Celebrity, 1QM2, 2 Princess, 1 NCL and 1 NCLA. We know nothing of HAL. We are late 50's early 60 to mid 60's. Do not want to spend our vacation with others children. Some who are very rude, disruptive and everywhere! RCL's Solarium, love it! Princess's Sanctuary, love it! What can we expect from HAL? Compare to? Any info and input would be appreciated. Now that we are back form our fantastic 9 night out of Bayonne on the Explorer we need to start planning next years cruise!

from reading your post I would think your main question is whether or not the Veendam (which is going to sail Bermuda 2010) has a designated "adults only" area... as you have come to enjoy on the other cruiselines you've sailed on... I would love to know the answer to this as well... we're contemplating sailing the Veendam next summer (we are in our mid 50's) and LOVED the Oosterdam but are hesitant to book the Veendam since the reviews are only so-so... will wait till it finishes it's Alaska itinerary and then see what people say about the ship when it sails in hot climates....:)

As school bus drivers, day care workers and a school system employee, unfortunately we travel during school vacations. That's why adult only areas really appeal to us. It sounds as though HAL is a cruiseline we should try, because the smaller, older ships with great service have been a good experience. The Zenith, Empress of the Seas, and the NCL Crown were all great cruises even without adults only areas. But they are gone! So anymore info will be appreciated!!:)

Guest LoveMyBoxer
As school bus drivers, day care workers and a school system employee, unfortunately we travel during school vacations. That's why adult only areas really appeal to us. It sounds as though HAL is a cruiseline we should try, because the smaller, older ships with great service have been a good experience. The Zenith, Empress of the Seas, and the NCL Crown were all great cruises even without adults only areas. But they are gone! So anymore info will be appreciated!!:)

Nana, we also prefer the smaller ships. Have been on both Zenith and NCL Crown, as well as other smaller ships. What kind of info are you looking for? We have already booked the Veendam for next August.

Things like, pool access, stairs or ladders, really crowded, chair hogs, etc., any adults only pools? Any info on handicapped rooms as 2-3 couples need them. How roomy are OV, verandah's worth it? Saw a pic of a promenade room with door to outside? Any opinions on that? Just general info from past cruisers. We all know Bermuda and love being on a ship that goes into St George and Hamilton and stays overnight. The Dockyard is just so far from everything we feel we miss a lot docking there. Thanks in advance!

But that's exacytly what NCL and Carnival are both doing from NY. Do you think they would keep doing it if they lost $$?? The only thing I can think of, is since Carnival owns HAL, they don't want the extra competition.

We had our best cruises ever on the Noordam out of NYC..

But we are going to give the Miracle a try.. Love not having to fly to get to the port.. We were able to grab one of the aft wraps..:) It's going to be a great location for sea days..

The Spirit class and Vista class are very similar in design/size.. Will get to form my own opinion of CCL..

Bulldog

We had our best cruises ever on the Noordam out of NYC..

But we are going to give the Miracle a try.. Love not having to fly to get to the port.. We were able to grab one of the aft wraps..:) It's going to be a great location for sea days..

The Spirit class and Vista class are very similar in design/size.. Will get to form my own opinion of CCL..

Bulldog

Still hoping that the reviews on the Veendam improve, otherwise we'll probably sail on the Miracle as well next summer. We were on the Carnival Legend (sister ship to Miracle) and all was well...

Still hoping that the reviews on the Veendam improve, otherwise we'll probably sail on the Miracle as well next summer. We were on the Carnival Legend (sister ship to Miracle) and all was well...

I was looking at the Veendam, but want to remember her the way she was..

Do not like the sound of some of the changes made..:cool:

Bulldog

I was looking at the Veendam, but want to remember her the way she was..

Do not like the sound of some of the changes made..:cool:

Bulldog

I'm not too concerned about the changes made... my concerns are with guests complaining about plumbing issues and lack of air conditioning... until I hear improvements regarding those items I'll stay away...

I'm not too concerned about the changes made... my concerns are with guests complaining about plumbing issues and lack of air conditioning... until I hear improvements regarding those items I'll stay away...

For them issues it sounds like it might need another dry dock..:rolleyes:

Would not be a happy cruiser if I had them problems..

Bulldog

Archived