Need Suggestions for FLL Dinnerl

mari10

Hey Marie, baesue here. I bet you never thought you would receive so many responses to your question. Isn't this great. My wife and I live in FLL and many of the restaurants suggested in the prior posts are all very good. You're staying in the Rennaniance and they have an excellant restaurant, although it is quite expensive. I saw others mentioned Bravo and Bimini Boatyard. They are directly across the street from your hotel and you can walk to either. We have eaten in both and can highly recommend both. Bravo has excellant Italian food and reservations are recommended. Prices are not too terribly expensive. Bimini Boatyard does not take reservations, but the view of the water is great, there are a lot of people around the bar and it is usually quite noisy. The food is good and prices are moderate.

I saw others recommended 15th. Street Fishery. Good restaurant, but you will have to take a cab and I personally think it is overpriced, but if you're here on vacation, it will be worth it. Since your on vacation, don't go to Carlos and Pepe's or Outback, they're both near your hotel, but neither is within walking distance. Besides, they're both chain restaruants and you're on vacation. Do something different.

Now a couple of our local suggestions, take a taxi onto Las Olas Blvd. It's a nice place to walk around and there are more good local restaurants there than you can imagine. Our favorite is the Las Olas Cafe. Reservations are required. Other favorites are Mangos or Fat City. There is also Cheesecake Factory and Mark's Steakhouse.

So many restaurants and so little time. Have fun.

Barry Eisenson (baesue@aol.com)

My fiance and I are flying in the day before our March 11 cruise and we're looking for somewhere to have a late dinner (our flight arrives at 8pm FL time). We're staying at the Comfort Inn in Hollywood by the airport and we'd like something either a very short taxi ride from the hotel or walking distance, reasonably priced. The wedding and cruise are our splurges :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi Jan (Prewilli)

We too are sailing with you on the Summit. It will be our third time as well. We are staying at Embassy Suites one day prior in Fort Lauderdale. We have stayed at the Bahia MAr in the past and from what I remember it is a short walk outside of the hotel to get the water taxi. Very convenient. We also enjoyed walking along the pier looking at all the boats docked.....some quite fancy! We really enjoyed taking the "Jungle Queen" tour which I think is like a riverboat. It was fairly reasonable and took us on a nice ride to see some beautiful waterfront homes. Some may be damaged because of recent hurricanes, but the ride was great and you could see many stores and restaurants along the waterway that you could go by water taxi to later. The Jungle Queen Tour is also right outside of your hotel! See you on the Summit!!

I stayed at the Ren a few weeks ago. I have eaten at a bunch of the restaurants in that area on various pre cruise stays, and my opinion the Bimini Boatyard or Bravo are very good choices. I ate a the 15th St. fisheries a few weeks ago and I think it is good but much overrated. I would not return there while I would go back to Bimini Boatyard.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. I appreciate all your help.

I'm a bit nervous about being the group planner, and I know that having a relaxing dinner and drinks will be a great start to what I hope is a wonderful week.

Mari

Hi Kim,

Good to hear from you - have you seen the posts re meeting at the mast bar at 5.00p.m. or the Martini Bar later - what time do you get in to the Embassy Suite- is it to late to meet for a drink?

Jan (PrewellI):)

My favorite place near 17th Street is Ernie's Barbeque. This a Key West kind of laid back place, extremely informal. Its on Federal Highway in the 1800 block, about 10 minutes from the Renaissance. Just turn left when you get to Rt. 1 (Federal Highway). Lots of ice cold beer, and wonderful conch chowder with thick slices of bimini bread. It's the perfect place to get into cruise mode.

We have been to Ft. Lauderdale many times for pre and post cruise stays and for week long vacations. By far our favorite is the River House on the New River in Downtown Ft. Lauderdale (off Las Olas). This is a very nice upscale restaurant that has a wonderful menu. It is not a chain and is definately not cheap. There are inside tables, there are outside tables, there are tables on a patio or terrace. In the evening there are little white lights on the trees around the restaurant which overlooks the water and it is magical. In addition to the wonderful dinners at the River House they also have an incrediable Sunday brunch. And, if you are in Ft. Lauderdale on the first Sunday of the month you can have brunch there are then walk the riverwalk while the Jazz Festival takes place. It's a great place.

We have one other favorite that you would definately need a car for -- Blue Moon Fish Co. in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. It's another upscale restaurant but they have 2-1 at lunch which is a super deal!

Enjoy!

I know Mark when he was the soup chef oh so many years ago. Mark Milletano is an expert chef. His food, soups, sauces, etc. are out of this world. But the cost is alot and with 10 people...... I really don't like 15th street fisheries all that much. It is ok, but nothing special. The food at Bimini Boatyard is better in my opinion, and the speciality bread is to die for. It is also very Key West, airy, bright place with a good view of the water and yachts. I like it better because it is lighter and brighter in appearance than 15th st. But either one will be fun for out of towners, 10 in number. The Bimini Boatyard is within a very easy walk of the Marriott on 17th street. Have a great time and a great cruise.

Oh, I live in Boca Raton so if you need any information or brochures type things just ask away!

Some additional suggestions:

Really good Italian at very reasonable prices -- Il Mulino on Sunrise

Great Southwestern a bit more pricy (have the bread pudding with sauteed berries ... it goes quickly every night) -- Canyon (right next to Il Mulino on Sunrsie).

Himmarshee Bar & Grille -- 2nd Street.

All are easy cab rides from cruise hotels.

ENJOY

Archived