Another disappointing review of the Shadow

ging466

Very strange.........especially since this poster hasn't been on the Board since June 2008. At that time she and her siblings had booked the Shadow for her parents as a gift.

It's interesting to read her questions from June 2008---and then to wonder whether her parents' trip (slated for August 2008) was so noisy, mediocre, inadequate etc. as her reported cruise, a year later.

The Island Shangri La was a great hotel. We stayed there once in the British days. We heard that it has since been overtaken by the Four Seasons at the IFC (and the IFC mall is newer than the one at Admiralty). In any case, if that writer were in Hong Kong, s/he might complain about the air quality and wish to be in Alaska! Nowhere on Earth is "perfect", enjoy what there is, and being on a Silversea ship is one of those wonderful events that we long for, and rarely can get with limited means.

The Island Shangri-La is still a great hotel, as is the Conrad and the Four Seasons. Seems to be highly subjective which one is better than the other but considering we are probably talking about three hotels, most solidly in the world's top 1% list, it's down to the very smallest of decimal points.

Hi CC friends,

Sorry this a bit off topic but I see you're recommending hotels in Hong Kong. We're booked on a Hong Kong to Singapore in March 2010 on the Whisper

Where do we stay?

Hong Kong

Peninsula?

Four Seasons?

Shangri-la?

I'm sure the above hotels all offer fantastic service and luxurious accomodations. How does one decide? Best location?

What about Singapore?

Ritz Carlton Millenia?

Four Seasons?

Mandarin Oriental?

Heard it's best to stay near Orchard/Scott Rd. Is this true? Which one?

Alway appreciate my fellow Cruisecritic/Venetian Society friends opinion and recommendations.

Many thanks,

ScottToronto

Hi CC friends,

Sorry this a bit off topic but I see you're recommending hotels in Hong Kong. We're booked on a Hong Kong to Singapore in March 2010 on the Whisper

Where do we stay?

Hong Kong

Peninsula?

Four Seasons?

Shangri-la?

I'm sure the above hotels all offer fantastic service and luxurious accomodations. How does one decide? Best location?

What about Singapore?

Ritz Carlton Millenia?

Four Seasons?

Mandarin Oriental?

Heard it's best to stay near Orchard/Scott Rd. Is this true? Which one?

Alway appreciate my fellow Cruisecritic/Venetian Society friends opinion and recommendations.

Many thanks,

ScottToronto

Hi Scott,

I can't speak to hotels in Hong Kong because I have never been there but we were more than pleased with the location, rooms, service food - everything really - at the Four Seasons Singapore when we stayed there for 4 days in December 2006. (I assume it would still be just as good now) Easy walk to everything or a bus across the street to other sights. The concierge staff were very helpful and gracious, as was the restaurant staff and general manager.

• 2 weeks later...

A note from someone who has never sailed Silversea, but who is potentially interested in the line as it's often compared favorably with Regent (the only line we've ever sailed and we love it). Many of the SS itineraries had appeal to us, and differed somewhat from the Regent itineraries. Other than the fact that SS still seems more costly than Regent, the main sticking point for us was the queen bed. Regent has king (slightly smaller than U.S. king, but still considerably larger than SS's queen). I think I half-remember that SS's new ship has king beds? If so, we'll likely try Silversea-- I imagine we'd enjoy it very much. All by way of saying that king bed on a ship (in "standard" staterooms) isn't a far-out wish.

(I was visiting this site, by the way, hoping to find some discussion of Rome hotels, but couldn't come up with much.)

Safe and happy travels to all.

Archived