Another disappointing review of the Shadow

ging466

We are about to book the Feb 7th cruise LA to LA.

We have sailed on Oceania and RSS several times. We have heard good things about the Silversea line but we do like the informality of Oceania very much. How do the 2 lines compare? What is the Silversea smokong policy?

Do you really have to have a tux and evening gowns on board?

If you have experience of these 3 lines i would love to hear from you on this board.

I am getting nervous about the trip I booked for 2010. Should I have stuck with Seabourn?

Don't be nervous at all. We just came back from our first Silversea cruise. We thought it was great. I am not sure if you had a chance to red the review that we posted on this board.

Here's my view on all of this. I have always believed in what I call the 90/10 or 80/20 rule. In short, that means that until I experience something first hand i read the boards and if 80%+ of the folks say something positive or something negative I take that as gospel until I experience it first hand for myself. Don't let one review take away from all of the positive comments that the majority of folks have to say about sailing on Silversea.

Again, we were very pleased with our cruise. And we are experience cruisers having cruised on many cruise lines including two other luxury cruise lines.

Here is the URL for the review that we wrote.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1040600

Finally, what is ashame is that this negative review that everyone agrees was way over the top is getting more attention than many of the positive reviews that have been written to date.

Keith

I think you will be more than happy with Silversea. I suspect that once you are aboard you will wonder what all the fuss was about!

Prior to sailing I also heard things that worried me, but we had a great time and have booked another cruise with Silversea. It will be our 2nd.:)

I am getting nervous about the trip I booked for 2010. Should I have stuck with Seabourn?

Why not ask this question on the Seabourn board?

I suggest you cancel your SS trip based upon one stranger's comments.

Perhaps we should post the link to your review under the title of "Shadow gets great review". :D

See if we can stir up some dust in the positive arena.

Great idea. Then we can focus on the positive. :p Yes. :D

I am hoping the review also gets posted on the cruise review board. I submitted it the other day.

Keith

I know we must have run into each other on this cruise - sorry we didn't figure it out at the time! As far as I know, I only encountered one other poster (billcrooz) and we had some great conversations.

yes we did ! not only great conversationalist but a 10 !

DWelsh, please go to the SS website. It will give you all the information you need re: dress code, smoking, onboard activities, etc. Please be advised that SS does allow smoking, so if you are happy with Oceania's ultra strict policy, SS may not be for you. And, yes there are formal nights. Instead of a tux, a dark suit is fine. Women do wear gowns or cocktail dresses. If you do not want to dress, you can dine in your suite or at LaTerrazza. Again, please visit their website and get all info. and then make your decision.

I'm sure I met you all and didn't realize who you were. We also stayed at the Ritz Carlton on the club floor for three days pre cruise and I belive you you all might have been there. So, I'm sure we saw you there too but didn't know who you all were.

Keith

Thanks billcrooz! When I was typing that previous post I was laughing thinking about your mental image of endosunshine. haha

as i said mental images of cc bloggers just never align with what you think; sorry we didn't hook up for dinner; took your advice after eating at Bacchus (delicious) we ate at that Thai place next night ;we booked The Spirit for Nov.2010; p.s. who was the kid with the bodyguard ? cannot place him !

I don't really know how to describe the kid in question. Earlier you mentioned one with "pushed back hair", I think that might have been a kid in the same group. This kid had light brown hair and to be honest, I now can't remember if he wore glasses or if that was the other kid. I did not witness him showing any dreadful behavior. His mother was a very attractive woman with extremely short, dark hair. I never once saw her smile. Unfortuntely, there were several other prople on this trip (not with this same group) that I never once saw smile for any reason.

I am curious about the family with the parents with poor behavior. I think I know who they are, but not sure. There was one group with grandparents, parents and 2 or 3 kids that I found the parents to be obnoxious. The grandparents did not seem to speak much english.

I have short strawberry blonde hair and am 5'8", if that tells you anything about who endosunshine is.

How did you like the Thai place? Our appetizer was so-so, but the rest was great. On Wed morning I woke up with sinus issues and did not feel too good while in Vancouver. Was actually glad to go home and be in my own bed. Our room at Wedgewood was VERY loud!! We were on the back side, but still had lots of traffic noise, especially in the early morning. Not sure I would stay there again, maybe the Fairmont instead.

We went to "C" the night before we left - it was good, but in my opinion, overpriced and overrated. Wouldn't go there again. We went to a place called Joe Fortes, not far from the hotel and found it to be very good. Also went to some tiny little Indian place and had a great lunch.

I

I am curious about the family with the parents with poor behavior. I think I know who they are, but not sure. There was one group with grandparents, parents and 2 or 3 kids that I found the parents to be obnoxious. The grandparents did not seem to speak much english.

You got it.

Three children.

The mom was constantly putting the children down.

The father was largely ignoring the children and setting some very poor examples for them.

We got to observe all of this first hand at lunch one day Later that night we saw two different couples who were sitting nearby and had the same reaction as we did. Three nice kids. Two dumb parents. Kids shouldn't have been placed in this environment.

There was also a nanny. grandparents. And either friends, or aunts or whatever.

When we got off the ship we were literally in the middle of this family with some in front of us and some behnd us. One child was literally walking in front of us with mom (if you call her a mom) walking in far up front and dad (if you call him a dad) walking by himself and paying no attention to any of the three kids. No one, I repeat no one, was watching the little one in front of us. Yes, this said it all.

Keith

Yes, the ship shouldn't have been producing its own electricity. It should have been connected to a power plant on land somewhere. It shouldn't have been moving at all, so that there'd be no hums and vibrations to disturb your sleep, because you didn't expect on a moving ship the same vibrations of a moving car. And while we are at it, the chef should be going shopping everyday to feed the 350+ passengers, and as many crew. Land based restaurants do it, so why can't he? Even on sea days he could have swam to get to a market. Never mind most groceries in Alaska are flown in from elsewhere, and a few weeks old at least.

I don't see why they don't triple the size of the rooms to fit a king-size bed. It probably means one-third passenger load, but it's not my concern. I'm not willing to pay for triple of what I'm paying.

The 1Annie1's review is great. I had a real good laugh.

Could she have been the legendary passenger who asked whether the crew stayed on board at night? And, when given the standard reply, "No, madam, we take them off by helicopter," complained about the noise of the helicopters?

Yes, the ship shouldn't have been producing its own electricity. It should have been connected to a power plant on land somewhere. It shouldn't have been moving at all, so that there'd be no hums and vibrations to disturb your sleep, because you didn't expect on a moving ship the same vibrations of a moving car. And while we are at it, the chef should be going shopping everyday to feed the 350+ passengers, and as many crew. Land based restaurants do it, so why can't he? Even on sea days he could have swam to get to a market. Never mind most groceries in Alaska are flown in from elsewhere, and a few weeks old at least.

I don't see why they don't triple the size of the rooms to fit a king-size bed. It probably means one-third passenger load, but it's not my concern. I'm not willing to pay for triple of what I'm paying.

I'm home for lunch looking over the CC boards. I nearly fell off my chair laughing. This is priceless!!! :D

I think this person would be much happier on land, maybe at the Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong with a nice harbour view suite.

No vibration, no need to take pills, king size bed and a big bath.

Mind you, they would probably complain that the view didn't change much.

The Island Shangri La was a great hotel. We stayed there once in the British days. We heard that it has since been overtaken by the Four Seasons at the IFC (and the IFC mall is newer than the one at Admiralty). In any case, if that writer were in Hong Kong, s/he might complain about the air quality and wish to be in Alaska! Nowhere on Earth is "perfect", enjoy what there is, and being on a Silversea ship is one of those wonderful events that we long for, and rarely can get with limited means.

Come on, use your brain! It is a ship - they should have been fishing off the stern for FRESH fish. After all, aren't fish plentiful around Alaska????

Now that I think of it, maybe they could keep a couple of cows in the hold for fresh beef when needed.....:cool:

Archived