What are "color wars"?

tapdancemom

It is a silly little thing they play in the dining room. Dividing the room into red, white and blue sections. Then during the cruise they have contest and other things that will earn teams points. Each evening the announce the score during diner and at the end or each cruise there is a winning team. Some of the things they do are a cute, but some are just kind of stupid. But it seem that some people really kind of get into it.

It's something they devised to get people interacting and joining in on the activities on board. People do karioke "for their team", enter contests "for their team", etc. Actually, there are no prizes and on the cruises I have been on I never heard them actually announce a final winner. The screaming and carrying on in the dining room I can do without. I want a nice relaxing meal, not a pep rally, at dinner.

On the Freedom in July, John Heald did "Color Wars" but your floor dictated what color you were -- We were on deck 6 and we were white. The floors below us were red. Not really sure of the point other than to try and engage everyone in participation at different events. We didn't do anything but my daughter's boyfriend did -- if you participated in an event, you had to tell them what color you were and they would give points to your team. Nothing went on in our dining room and we were there every night at the early seating so I guess it changes with each sailing or CD.

This has been much toned down on our last few cruises. No mention at all in the dining room. The deck party was really the only night they did anything with it by having the different "teams" meet in different lounges and compete against each other.

I have to say that i didnt really participate much on previous cruises with the whole color thing.. however on liberty last june 08 we did. They gave us our "assigned" color and there was color things going on all over the ship, in the evening entertainment they had asked who was on red, blue or white.. and people applauded. The last night they had dancing and games and we did them, and we had a blast and i have to say our "team" won the points for the most on the cruise. It was fun but it is what you make of it and my 13 yr old dd was with us so it was kind of fun. The party was a blast with dancing and shouting and all kinds of fun.. in my eyes have fun go a little out of your comfort zone and do things that you might not normally do, you are there for a good time and it isnt likely that the people on ship will remember you later!

Archived