Uffizi and L'Accademia - Florence

BluenoseCaper

We (a group of 3) decided a while ago to do a DIY in Florence on our stop there - Summit October 3rd. I have been checking the website for tickets to the Uffizi and L'Accademia. As of now, it appears that no tickets are yet available online for the day of our stop there - October 6. Also, from reading posts elsewhere it appears that online tickets are only available for reservations after 12 noon. That does really not seem to fit in very well with the timeline for getting back to the ship on time, especially with a stop in Pisa.

I was wondering if anyone has already phoned for reservations at both these places for October 6 or later and if you can purchase tickets now for those dates. Also, what would be the suggested time for each reservation, keeping in mind getting the train from Livorno and possibly stopping at Pisa either on the way down or the way back. Maybe I'm being too ambitious about this.

I did consider booking a shore excursion but I find them very pricey for just 3 of us - approaching 200 Euros each, a bit more than I am willing to spend.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JJ

Nova Scotia, Canada

We'll be in Florence a week later, on 10-13, and i just called and received a reservation for 2. I tried the website first and it indicated no availability, yet it showed that tickets are available still for later this month. I guess that means either the website is messed up or you can't use the website to book that far out. Anyway, just call, and the menu walks you through to an English speaking operator (#2 for English, #4 for booking). You get a confirmation number. Good luck!

As said above, the phone is usually a better way to get through.

It sounds like you're trying to do an awful lot for a one day trip on your own. I think you'd enjoy your day more if you choose either Florence or Pisa rather than both. People often underestimate how much time the transportation takes, especially if you are trying to minimize costs. (For example, using the ship's shuttle to downtown Livorno and then the public bus to the train station - it's the least expensive way but also very time consuming.)

I used this website to book our tickets when we are in Florence on Oct 28th. I picked the time we want to go and give one alternative time and I had a confirmation within 24 hours that we were reserved on the time and just show the voucher at the door so no waiting in line. good luck.

http://www.tickitaly.com/

I used this website to book our tickets when we are in Florence on Oct 28th. I picked the time we want to go and give one alternative time and I had a confirmation within 24 hours that we were reserved on the time and just show the voucher at the door so no waiting in line. good luck.

http://www.tickitaly.com/

The phone is still a better way to go because 1) you pre-reserve but do not actually have to pay until you arrive at the museum. So if, for some reason, your ship is delayed or you can't get there on time, there is no penalty. Also, IIRC, the tickitaly site charges a higher premium for this service.

We booked Romeinlimo (private tour) and they handled getting all the tickets for us. I would highly recommend them. They are reliable, knowledgeable, and affordable. The cost was approx. 500euros for the three of us, but we could have had an additional three people with us, since the minivan held 6 people plus the driver/guide. If you can find another family to share this with you, that would only be appox 84euro each. Our driver/guide met us promptly at 8:00 am. We saw EVERYTHING in 9 hours (including a stop in Pisa).

• 2 weeks later...

We visited the Academia Museum only a few weeks ago beeing there around noon. Actually there was a pretty long line to enter it but we avoided it having a pre-booking service. We heard about on-line reservation for it but since we booked a private shore excursion they did everything for us, including this service.

Try to contact them, if you compare their rates, they are cheaper than a big bus tour and as far as I know, you can split the vehicle with other people just posting on this web site.

Their contact is: http://www.shoreexcursionsinitaly.com

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. We have booked a private excursion and found some other people from the ship to join us, so the cost is reasonable. The tour company has booked us tickets to see David and we have decided to forego the Uffizi on this trip. With only a day we are going to spend the time soaking up the atmosphere of Florence and doing a quick stop in Pisa on the way back to the ship.

After all, we will need a good reason to return to Florence and the Uffizi seems like a very good reason.

We booked Romeinlimo (private tour) and they handled getting all the tickets for us. I would highly recommend them. They are reliable, knowledgeable, and affordable. The cost was approx. 500euros for the three of us, but we could have had an additional three people with us, since the minivan held 6 people plus the driver/guide. If you can find another family to share this with you, that would only be appox 84euro each. Our driver/guide met us promptly at 8:00 am. We saw EVERYTHING in 9 hours (including a stop in Pisa).

We have RomeinLimo too in November. Can you tell me what you saw. I only want to SEE the tower of Pisa not climb it. But I do want to see the art in Florence extensively. What did you see after Pisa and how long were you able to spend at these sites. Thank you soo much in advance.

We saw EVERYTHING in 9 hours (including a stop in Pisa).

Okay, I can't resist, and I'm truly not trying to be snotty here. I'm sure you saw everything you wanted to see, but I can guarantee you didn't see everything that Florence and Pisa have to offer. :)

Port days can only offer a taste, and when a places "tastes" as wonderful as Florence, you'll find your way back sooner or later. Florence and her treasures have been there for centuries and they'll be there when you can get back, so enjoy as much of her as you can and know that it will be there waiting for you the next time.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. We have booked a private excursion and found some other people from the ship to join us, so the cost is reasonable. The tour company has booked us tickets to see David and we have decided to forego the Uffizi on this trip. With only a day we are going to spend the time soaking up the atmosphere of Florence and doing a quick stop in Pisa on the way back to the ship.

After all, we will need a good reason to return to Florence and the Uffizi seems like a very good reason.

I think you've made a wise decision - that's exacly what we just did using Fabricio of "All Aorund Italy." info@allarounditaly.net Through our "roll call" we found 2 other couples to join us so the day was reasonable and more important, comfortable. We made a very quick stop in Pisa to take pictures (and to say we saw it) then another photo stop in the Tuscan countryside becasue we were oohing and aahing as we were driving. WE got a really good overview of the city and it's important buildings, saw David - as well as the rest of the exhibits in the Academia. The musical instrument exhibit caught our attention, while one of the other couples got caught up in what they found on the second floor! We also had free time to wander, lunch, shop (although none of us bought anything more than postcards) and of course we made a gelato stop! If we had tried to use public transportation (OR if we were on the big bus drom the ship) we wouldn't have seen nearly s much of Florence as we did.

We have RomeinLimo too in November. Can you tell me what you saw. I only want to SEE the tower of Pisa not climb it. But I do want to see the art in Florence extensively. What did you see after Pisa and how long were you able to spend at these sites. Thank you soo much in advance.

I loved our RIL tours in Rome, Florence and Naples, but if the art of Florence is what you want to see you really need to just drive right into Florence and spend the day there. Even the detour to Pisa becomes valuable time lost. You can spend easily an hour + in Accademia and 3+ hours in Uffizi and only skims its treasures. Add the other muesums and churches and you will have to choose many to pass by.

As another poster said, a day only gives you a taste. I personally would say do Pisa, climb it, first thing in the morning then take RILs standard tour. You get a taste, but won't come close to seeing it all, but will have wet your appetite for sure for return.

Good luck

The phone is still a better way to go because 1) you pre-reserve but do not actually have to pay until you arrive at the museum. So if, for some reason, your ship is delayed or you can't get there on time, there is no penalty. Also, IIRC, the tickitaly site charges a higher premium for this service.

:)This is a great idea! Could you tell me how I would find the telephone number to call?

Archived