Worried about catching return flight

tapdancemom

I just found out that the Splendor gets back to Long Beach at 9:00am and our flight leaves at 10:45 from Long Beach airport.

Every other cruise I've been on the ship docked at like 7:00 or 7:30 and the first passengers were off by 8:00 or 8:30 so I made my flight reservations for 10:45. Now I'm worried we'll miss our flight. :eek:

Any folks that have sailed on the Splendor to Long Beach, what time did you actually dock and get off the ship?

Which airport are you flying out of? Is there any way you can change your flight? Even if you were the first one off the ship I don't think you could make it to the airport, go through security and get to the gate on time.

It's Long Beach airport, even though it's in the same city I don't think I can make it. Don't know about changing flights, have to check.

I'm just so surprised the ship gets in so late. Anyone else been on the same ship, when did you dock in Long Beach?

Oh, my. I think you have good reason to be worried. I would change my flights because I don't see how you could possibly make that. Unless the ship docks earlier than stated, but how can you be sure of that? If it docks at 9 AM, it still has to clear customs before anyone can get off the ship.

I'm not familiar with Long Beach airport, so maybe getting through security there would be a quick thing (if it is a small airport). I guess if the stars are all aligned properly you might make it, but I would be worried the whole cruise so I would just change the flight.

Best of luck to you.....I hope you get it worked out and have a great cruise!

I would change. Was on the Pride out of Long Beach before the Splendor took it's place. You may be able to make it, but as another poster stated, only if all the stars were aligned ...(I worry about stuff like that too).

On the positive side, you do have low traffic on a weekend morning there and it is a small airport about 15 minutes away by cab.

On the downside, again as another poster stated, Custom's works on their own schedule.

To many variables for me. Call your airline and see if you can work something out where you can change to an afternoon flight. If not, I would look for flights with open seats later that day and be prepared to fly standby.

My 2009 Carnival brochure clearly shows the Splendor and Pride returning at 9am

But let's back plan this thing:

Flight departs at 10:45

passengers and luggage MUST be checked in by 9:45

Cab must be loaded and departing cruise terminal by 9:30

Outside and passed thru customs and immagrations by 9:15

I'll give you a 10% chance of making this flight. Is it really worth stressing over from now until you actually board the flight.

Change your flights and pay the extra money.

You may actually be in luck

Were you flying Alaska/Horizon Air?

I did a quick search and (depending on when you are flying) they only have 2 direct flights a day from LGB to PDX.

1 at 5pm

and the other (which I'm hopeing you were on) I show as departing at 10:15 A.M. not 10:45.

If in fact this was the flight you were on AND they have now changed to an earlier departure time, you may be able to request the 5PM flight at no charge to yourself since the airlines changed the departure time.

We were on the Splendor two weeks ago. We were back in port by 7:30 and they began self debarkation at 8:20. We were at the airport (Long Beach) at 9:50. Small airport, quick check-in but you sure are cutting it close.....

Just changed our flight to the only other one that day...5:20pm. It was cutting it way too close, if the ship doesn't get in early we'd be out of luck. Now I hope we get late debaration.

LOL, you can enjoy your cruise now. Also enjoy watching the mad rush when they announce early self assist debarkation. While it is a later flight, you will be much better off for doing it this way.

LOL, you can enjoy your cruise now. Also enjoy watching the mad rush when they announce early self assist debarkation. While it is a later flight, you will be much better off for doing it this way.

Agree completely. Take your time getting off the ship, check out the Queen Mary, go chill out over at the Rock Bottom Brewery or Aquarium, and leisurely make your flight :)

I'm just so surprised the ship gets in so late. Anyone else been on the same ship, when did you dock in Long Beach?

Carnival Pride and the other Spirit class (and Project 8000 like HAL's Oosterdam) ships are especially fast ships. They would drive Carnival Pride full speed in order to make it back that early.

To compensate, Carnival Splendor leaves Cabo an hour early (if I'm not mistaken) and meanders into Long Beach an hour later. She's just not as fast.

In either case, it's a tight schedule and there's no way to make up any delay. (Like that time Carnival Pride busted an azipod and was dead in the water for a while.)

Archived