Vacationing family stranded in Bahamas

OhioJeff

Just read about this....

and (as Dr Phil says....I don't care how flat that pancake is...there are always two sides)...

but I have to wonder why there isn't a "check and balance" system in place on the ship where when they see "who" has not returned...simply check to see IF these people are on a ship excursion.

IF they are, then contact the tour operator. I am under the impression (and perhaps wrongly so) that the cruise line and the tour operators are suppose to be in constant contact....or at least contactable.

I know there is a "grey" area where if someone is on a ship tour and decides to go shopping after they have ENDED the ship excursion....then they are responsible to get themselves back on the ship on time.

But it seems they were on the "tour bus"....(if we are getting the correct story)...which indicates that they were not simply "shopping" at the dock after the tour was over???

They were on Glory.

When you hear that someone has been left behind be sure to notice which ship.

And that it is most often Glory...

That is interesting.

We just sailed on the Glory in May.

Just read about this....

and (as Dr Phil says....I don't care how flat that pancake is...there are always two sides)...

but I have to wonder why there isn't a "check and balance" system in place on the ship where when they see "who" has not returned...simply check to see IF these people are on a ship excursion.

IF they are, then contact the tour operator. I am under the impression (and perhaps wrongly so) that the cruise line and the tour operators are suppose to be in constant contact....or at least contactable.

I know there is a "grey" area where if someone is on a ship tour and decides to go shopping after they have ENDED the ship excursion....then they are responsible to get themselves back on the ship on time.

But it seems they were on the "tour bus"....(if we are getting the correct story)...which indicates that they were not simply "shopping" at the dock after the tour was over???

Yes, it does seem odd, that both couples were sailing on Glory and were left. If they were truly just wandering around, how was the TOUR BUS able to find and pick them up. I havent taken that excursion, so maybe the bus just picks up for Carnival regardless of the ship.

The couple claims the staff was in contact with the ship, Im curious just how late the couple was returning to the ship. Since its not that far from Atlantis to the dock.

I guess if you looked at the HUGE number of folks that take Carnival ship excursions every day....we would wonder why more aren't left???

After awhile...the odds have to kick in....it is going to happen sooner or later.

:eek:

As far as I'm concerned, the following is the only part of this story that explains it:

"Carnival Cruise Lines apologized to the family. They tell us however the family was exploring the Atlantis property on their own and did not show up on time for the bus pick-up point.

"We will hold a ship if people are late getting back from a shore excursion, if the excursion itself runs late," says Carnival Cruise spokesperson Jennifer De La Cruz."

That says it all.

The story also reinforces why you should take your passport ashore when you go......

The news report does state their excursion was cancelled so they were doing Atlantis on their own not through the ship excursion any longer. The whole story actually sounds a bit fishy, who are the excursion reps who said they could stay at Atlantis even though the excursion was cancelled?

It would seem to me that someone wasn't watching the time and clearly left Atlantis well after a time to be able to get back on the ship.

It is by no means clear whether the people involved were on the excursion, or off of their own. Every cruise ship excursion that I have been on has been packed. Why, out of all of the people on the excursion, were only two families left behind? (perhaps they did choose to do a little extracurricular shopping/sightseeing....).

I believe this quote is telling: "I had a room with a balcony I didn't get to use that day." says Yeater. "I had a nice dinner in a dining room I didn't get to have that evening." Sounds like a calculated effort to get some $$$$, not the "ruined vacation of a lifetime" angle the news story tries to play up. Someone is not telling the truth...........:eek:

Posts # 7 and 8. ACCL tour with 2 families? Not likely. The tour had checked in as returned, very likely.

There is one side, the other side and the true story. Sometimes we hear both sides, but mostly only one side. But never do we hear the whole truth.

Just more "entitlement"*** and no concept of personal responsibility.

***The family says now they want more. They want their vacation back.

"I had a room with a balcony I didn't get to use that day." says Yeater. "I had a nice dinner in a dining room I didn't get to have that evening."

Carnival beat them and sent them to bed without supper? Entitlement mentality. 90/10 THEY screwed up, but will they blame themselves?? No Way.

Think they would be happy is CCL gave them credit for 1 day's balcony cabin,,,,,,,,,,AND charged them for 1 day's cabin ,whatever it was on the other ship?

Just read about this....

The scary thing about this is I can picture a ship sponsored a shore excursion and perhaps someone gets held against their will by a local. If the cruise line would have left without them because the shore excursion was back, then it is irresponsible. What if a person somehow got injured and the tour operator didn't count heads properly? Carnival would have just left without them??

I'm not too sure Carnival did all that they should have here.

I guess CCL is taking some of the blame. I was surprised to see they were allowed to board another ship.

That was a "no no" last time I read something like this. Not sure what line that was on, but the line just left them there, even though there was another of their ships docked.

I have first hand knowledge of Glory leaving a pair on the dock.

I also know that the ship did not wait even one minute.

A few days ago there was a video on here of Glory leaving a pair on the dock and the shadow of the ship passed over them as they ran, so they apparently missed the boat by maybe a minute.

And this family too...however I get the feeling from the article that this family did not miss the boat by a minute or two.

And I am no Carnival fan, I do wonder how this family being left behind became news.

Oh, and Carnival got them on another ship...this must be a service only for people on ship sponsored excursions?

And they are still complaining?

Whiners...

I know that missing the boat in Nassau costs about $3000 for two people with a taxi problem.

G'ma is right about the passport.

Yeh its pretty obvious that carnival did take some blame just by the fact they put them on another ship and apologized to the couple, and we all know a cruise line doesn't do that unless they are admitting responsibility for the incident.

Still is a strange story and I don't think we are getting the whole thing.

From the article, it sounds like the family is mostly at fault. At least that's my opinion. Yes they booked an excursion through Carnival, but they should have also been aware of the time and when the ship would be leaving that particular port. Carnival should have some fault as well, but mainly I'm pointing all fingers at the family.

What if they didn't have passports:confused: Afterall they are not madatory for close looped cruises..........

Sounds like they would be up a certain creek...

I guess their wet swimsuits would be sogging up the chairs in an office somewhere trying to get the paperwork to get home.

It would be interesting to know how late these people actually were.

Apparently the ship was not just pulling away, but was gone.

And it would be interesting to know how long they thought the ship would wait.:rolleyes:

In January on the Glory one of the dining room servers was left behind in one of our ports. He fell asleep on the beach. And had to fly to our next port!

In the dining room over the loud speaker they welcomed him back and reminded everyone to make the ship when it departs from the ports. Everyone clapped when they welcomed him back..it was soooo funny

I sailed the Glory in January of this year and we were an hour late sailing out of St. Maarten. The Captain announced we were waiting on some fellow cruisers. Not sure if it was related to an excursion or not.

Hello my fellow Glory friend.....

They were waiting for the Dining room server that was left behind in st. Thomas...He had to fly to St.Maartin and get back on the ship with us....:D

Sounds like they would be up a certain creek...

I guess their wet swimsuits would be sogging up the chairs in an office somewhere trying to get the paperwork to get home.

It would be interesting to know how late these people actually were.

Apparently the ship was not just pulling away, but was gone.

And it would be interesting to know how long they thought the ship would wait.:rolleyes:

And I bet the next time they decide to leave the country again they will have passports. :p

From the article, it sounds like the family is mostly at fault. At least that's my opinion. Yes they booked an excursion through Carnival, but they should have also been aware of the time and when the ship would be leaving that particular port. Carnival should have some fault as well, but mainly I'm pointing all fingers at the family.

I cant possibly imagine any dolphins or resorts that are worth living through that nightmare...

Archived