Vacationing family stranded in Bahamas

OhioJeff

They were on Glory.

When you hear that someone has been left behind be sure to notice which ship.

And that it is most often Glory...

I was surprised by this post also. Does Glory have a history of leaving people behind? It sounds like MZLOOLUE thinks so. Anybody else?

And I bet the next time they decide to leave the country again they will have passports. :p

And perhaps some clothes? I'm sorry, but leaving a ship in a foreign country with no proper ID or documention, wearing only a bathing suit and flip flops, then not watching the time, or knowing when you have to be back on your ship is just plain ignorant.

When I hear that people only had their bathing suit, or see them in a you tube video jogging towards the sailing ship in a bthing suit, I think that's just totally disgusting and disresepctful. Put some clothes on in public. Besides, being the decent thing to do, then at least if you miss the ship you won't be that moron in a dripping bathing suit with no dry clothes.

Sorry, but people here go on and on about the importance of what to wear for "elegant night", and meanwhile there are these people (hopefully not the same ones!) who actually dare to get off the ship in just a bathing suit?? That's MY pet peeve. Honestly, these disrespectful slobs give cruisers a bad name.

The only people who miss the boat that I feel sorry for are the ones that are delayed due to traffic, or breakdowns, or others means beyond their control.

And perhaps some clothes? I'm sorry, but leaving a ship in a foreign country with no proper ID or documention, wearing only a bathing suit and flip flops, then not watching the time, or knowing when you have to be back on your ship is just plain ignorant.

When I hear that people only had their bathing suit, or see them in a you tube video jogging towards the sailing ship in a bthing suit, I think that's just totally disgusting and disresepctful. Put some clothes on in public. Besides, being the decent thing to do, then at least if you miss the ship you won't be that moron in a dripping bathing suit with no dry clothes.

Sorry, but people here go on and on about the importance of what to wear for "elegant night", and meanwhile there are these people (hopefully not the same ones!) who actually dare to get off the ship in just a bathing suit?? That's MY pet peeve. Honestly, these disrespectful slobs give cruisers a bad name.

The only people who miss the boat that I feel sorry for are the ones that are delayed due to traffic, or breakdowns, or others means beyond their control.

ROFLMAO!!!! You are kidding right:confused:

I was surprised by this post also. Does Glory have a history of leaving people behind? It sounds like MZLOOLUE thinks so. Anybody else?

It's mzloolue, no need to shout:)

Yes I do think so.

I think that it is odd that whenever I have heard about passengers being left behind it's been Glory.

And I've been on cruises in which the ship has left early due to weather or other problems, but Glory is the only one I have been on that has sailed early without an explained reason.

Er umm, all we wore into Coz were bathing suits & coverup. We took a boat ride to an island - why would we change clothes? Of course, we had our id & some cash, but honestly, depending on your excursion, you may not need a wardrobe change. Same thing in GC for the dolphin swim - swimsuit & coverup. Jamaica - Dunn's River Falls - no wardrobe change there, either. My coverup looks much like a short dress. Hubby - well a t-shirt with his swim trunks (no, he doesn't wear a little speedo). I don't find it odd that a person wouldn't have a change of clothes with them to go ashore. Who wants to lug all that around?

That's the rule, always the fault of the passenger, not Carnival...it's in the contract. ;)
No, I never said it is always the fault of the passenger. I was speaking specifically about this instance, and in this instance I feel it is the fault of the passenger.

what a travesty.. can you believe the nerve of some people wandering around in public in their bathing suits??? what's the world coming to!?!?!

I seem to remember reading on the USVI website that the islanders prefer it if you cover your swimsuit with clothes while shopping.

Shopping Tips

• - Save your swimwear for the beach. It is considered taboo to wear swimsuits only or to walk about bareback anywhere but the beach or poolside. You will receive a much friendlier reception from sales people if you are covered up when walking around shopping areas and entering stores.

Yeh its pretty obvious that carnival did take some blame just by the fact they put them on another ship and apologized to the couple, and we all know a cruise line doesn't do that unless they are admitting responsibility for the incident.

Still is a strange story and I don't think we are getting the whole thing.

That is not true. I was on a land vacation in Cozumel and there was a young couple staying at the hotel that had missed the Carnival ship that day due to miss judging their time at the beach. We had supper with then that night and they said they were told they could get on the ship due in the next day. They must have, because we did not see them anymore.

I seem to remember reading on the USVI website that the islanders prefer it if you cover your swimsuit with clothes while shopping.

Shopping Tips

• - Save your swimwear for the beach. It is considered taboo to wear swimsuits only or to walk about bareback anywhere but the beach or poolside. You will receive a much friendlier reception from sales people if you are covered up when walking around shopping areas and entering stores.

Of course.. when I'm not topless I always wear a cover up

To me, it all makes sense.

The family did the dolphin excursion only to do what the excursion offered (time to tour Atlantis)

These dolphin encounters are booked all day long. Say if your actual dolphin encounter is at 1:00pm, then you would have time to tour Atlantis before and after your encounter.

They were told buses will be there to take them back to the ship. You are told these buses leave every 30 minutes. On this bus, there will be people from other ships too, that also did a dophin encounter, Atlantis beach excursion, or Aquaventure.

The problem comes in where the family KNEW what time they had to be back on the ship. So if they did the encounter first then wondered around Atlantis, then its their fault they left too late.

IF they toured Atlantis THEN had the encounter. I dont personally think carnival would book them on the ACTUAL encounter so late they would miss the ship. So say if the encounter was at 4pm and the ship departs Nassau at 5pm. I dont see the encounter being an option that could even be booked.

Just curious....How many does it do if the ship is going forward out of the port???

One long blast signals they are leaving port... One long followed by 3 short means leaving astern.

If there is other ships in port there could be one or two short blasts depending on what approach and what side they will pass the other vessel.

I guess CCL is taking some of the blame. I was surprised to see they were allowed to board another ship.

That was a "no no" last time I read something like this. Not sure what line that was on, but the line just left them there, even though there was another of their ships docked.

They do it more often than you think. The Fantasy took on 4 ladies who missed the Ecstasy in Progreso. As both ships were going to Cozumel the next day, no problem.

There was a report last year of someone missing the ship at Grand Cayman and a different cruiseline let them board as both ships next port of call was Cozumel.

Dave

Er umm, all we wore into Coz were bathing suits & coverup. We took a boat ride to an island - why would we change clothes? Of course, we had our id & some cash, but honestly, depending on your excursion, you may not need a wardrobe change. Same thing in GC for the dolphin swim - swimsuit & coverup. Jamaica - Dunn's River Falls - no wardrobe change there, either. My coverup looks much like a short dress. Hubby - well a t-shirt with his swim trunks (no, he doesn't wear a little speedo). I don't find it odd that a person wouldn't have a change of clothes with them to go ashore. Who wants to lug all that around?

Exactly! Im certainly not lugging around a change of clothes on my dive excursions along with all my dive gear..

They do it more often than you think. The Fantasy took on 4 ladies who missed the Ecstasy in Progreso. As both ships were going to Cozumel the next day, no problem.

There was a report last year of someone missing the ship at Grand Cayman and a different cruiseline let them board as both ships next port of call was Cozumel.

Dave

Really? well i think my faith has been restored in the cruise lines then... I always thought if they left you high and dry that was it .. you were on your own!

Exactly! Im certainly not lugging around a change of clothes on my dive excursions along with all my dive gear..

LOL! You won't find our group in anything but suits and coverups at all our ports........lug around a change of clothes? I don't think so............

In fact that is what I wear all day on the ship on sea days too:D

We've been to Atlantis many times. You can see the cruiseships from the resort.

And I would assume they could "hear" the cruise ships. Ours blew its horn an hour before the back-on-ship time....then I think at the half hour point and 15-minute point.

Actually, I thought it was pretty funny in Progreso because I don't think you would be able to hear it four miles away (which was the lenghth of the pier). When they blew the horn, the people who would have heard it would have been the people who were already back where they needed to be (though they could have been in the shops at the pier).

Shopping Tips

Thank you. I always laughed that this kind of thing actually needs to be posted, but obviously it does! I was totally serious. You must be aware that many (most) countries find it completly rude and disrespectful to wander around in public in a bathing suit? I don't know of anyone who wanders around shops or mall or restaurants, buses, etc (public, basically, beyond the beach or pool) in swimwear at home, so why do it at someone else's home? Maybe it's not that way in the US, but when in a foreign country show a little respect. Ever hear of "no shirt, no shoes, no service?"

Sure, maybe you plan to just do a water activity tour for the day, but you still have to get there... and what if? The possiblity that you *may* miss the ship should be enough reason to have at least some shorts and a t-shirt, or a dress type cover up for women. Wear it over your swim suit. No need to lug anything. Not rocket science. You shouldn't need to be lent a t-shirt to put over your bathing suit because you have nothing. What a joke. People who get off the ship with nothing but their S&S card (and then don't even pay attention to the time) I do not feel sorry for.

From the article, it sounds like the family is mostly at fault. At least that's my opinion. Yes they booked an excursion through Carnival, but they should have also been aware of the time and when the ship would be leaving that particular port. Carnival should have some fault as well, but mainly I'm pointing all fingers at the family.

I always watch the clock (my watch) when I'm ashore. I never venture too far from the ship, and we always return to the ship at least an hour before it's scheduled to pull out; preferably an hour and a half. Always double check that your watch is on ship's time (no matter the island's time) BEFORE you disembark in port. Remember that even if your destination ashore is close to the ship, depending on the availability of transportation, the condition of the roads, rush hour traffic, etc., what should be a 15 minute ride back to the ship could take infinitely longer when the unforseen rears its ugly head.

Sure, maybe you plan to just do a water activity tour for the day, but you still have to get there... and what if? The possiblity that you *may* miss the ship should be enough reason to have at least some shorts and a t-shirt, or a dress type cover up for women. Wear it over your swim suit. No need to lug anything. Not rocket science. You shouldn't need to be lent a t-shirt to put over your bathing suit because you have nothing. What a joke. People who get off the ship with nothing but their S&S card (and then don't even pay attention to the time) I do not feel sorry for.

I have never seen anyone get off a ship in just their bathing suits........because the news article said they only had their suits does not mean they didn't have t shirts and cover ups:rolleyes:

We've been to Atlantis many times. You can see the cruiseships from the resort.

I've been there too. And, while you can see the ships from the resort, it is not necessarily a quick trip back to the port. Literally anything can happen to delay your return. When we were there, we took a ferry back to the port and had the misfortune of running into a torrential downpour. You could not see but feet in front of the vessel we were on, thus we slowed to little more than a crawl. Took us more than twice the usual amount of time to make it back to the ship. But, because we factored-in the unforseen in our chosen departure time from Atlantis, we were not worried. We made it back with well more than an hour to spare. Yes, it cut the amount of time we had at Atlantis, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I have never seen anyone get off a ship in just their bathing suits........because the news article said they only had their suits does not mean they didn't have t shirts and cover ups:rolleyes:

Actually, this is what it said:

"They were all without passports, without much cash and wearing wet bathing suits...... They were given two other rooms, a T-shirt and some toiletries." ...and I have seen in person people wandering around ports like Grand Cayman and Montego Bay in only a bathing suit and knew they were off the ship.

Archived