Vacationing family stranded in Bahamas

OhioJeff

Chiming in only on the passport issue as a seasoned traveler who has experienced passport bumps.

The reason given to leave your passport is that the physical passports are stolen so they can be altered and sold on the black market. A copy of a passport isn't going to do that.

When I took my first cruise last year, I took my passport. In resorts and hotels the risk of leaving your passport in your safe in your room is less, as in the hotel room can't sail off without you like your stateroom can. So on a boat? I would always, always take my passport.

With that said, and with my previous, not so pleseant experience, I always take my passport anyhow. But I am one of those sorts of people, I percieve life as risks and reasonable actions to mitigate those.

Staying home and never leaving the country makes those risks go away, but I don't like that, the cost is too high. Taking my passport with me? Costs is low, risk is mitigated and the corresponding risk is only increased slighltly. I never, ever want to be in a country without the ability to get out quickly and prove my citizenship.

but that is me. YMMV. But since folks asked why one vs the other, that is why for me.

Another thing I was wondering is how a passport would be used for identity theft since the thief would also have to look like you.

Good Point. So again, why worry about your passport being stole? they cant use if for anything. Not if they dont look like you and dont have another form of ID.

As I said earlier, there is really very little difference between someone stealing the original or the copy, so why take the chance of not having the original with you?

Good Point. So again, why worry about your passport being stole? they cant use if for anything. Not if they dont look like you and dont have another form of ID.

As I said earlier, there is really very little difference between someone stealing the original or the copy, so why take the chance of not having the original with you?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1754456/is_your_passport_a_free_pass_to_identity.html?cat=17

wow, very interesting. thanks Kurbanfan. I guess I will change my habits. In the past we have always just taken our Dl and Passport with us on a cruise. Never thought about taking the birth certificate also. Since you have to prove you are a US Citizen to get a replacement, that would be hard to do without the BC.

wow, very interesting. thanks Kurbanfan. I guess I will change my habits. In the past we have always just taken our Dl and Passport with us on a cruise. Never thought about taking the birth certificate also. Since you have to prove you are a US Citizen to get a replacement, that would be hard to do without the BC.

And yet the identity threat does not phase you:p But I would recommend a copy of your birth certificate........

And yet the identity threat does not phase you:p But I would recommend a copy of your birth certificate........

Actually the identity threat does scare me. I guess I have to decide which scares for more, Leaving the original passport on the ship and getting stuck in a foreign port with only a copy or takiing the original with me and worrying about identity theft!

Life is just so full of tough choices. Oh my, what will i do!:)

Actually the identity threat does scare me. I guess I have to decide which scares for more, Leaving the original passport on the ship and getting stuck in a foreign port with only a copy or takiing the original with me and worrying about identity theft!

Life is just so full of tough choices. Oh my, what will i do!:)

LOL! I hear ya!

OK it happens. Uxmal is slightly more than a half mile from the ship isn't it? Wonder if that makes a difference?

In any case, I'll accept that it does happen.

No, Uxmal was a 6 hour excursion. It is not as popular as Chichen Itza, there were 2 or 3 buses going there, only one bus went to Uxmal. I think that is why it was both ships, there were still empty seats on our bus.

One long blast signals they are leaving port... One long followed by 3 short means leaving astern.

If there is other ships in port there could be one or two short blasts depending on what approach and what side they will pass the other vessel.

Thanks...after the other person mentioned that, it got me wondering about it.:D

True' date=' but they ARE mandatory for international flights, etc.

When you choose to use just a birth cert, ya takes yer chances, I reckon.[/quote']

I agree! I would be nervous if I didn't have the proper ID on me. You never know what could happen.

"CCL apologized to the families, because CCL was wrong,,,,,,,,,,,or,,,,,the TV was involved????

Maybe it was like the apologies politicians give. "I am sorry you got upset by what I said." Not that they were sorry they said it. So Carnival could have said something like "I am sorry you missed the boat but I am glad we were able to get you back to the US." An apology?

If their passports were on the Glory in Pt Canaveral, it wouldn't help coming back into Miami on the Destiny. But, I am sure something like this happens 10 times a day (or more) at the immigration office. I imagine it would take more than the few minutes it normally takes, but, I am sure that you could get in. Someone who carried their passport around a foreign city and had their purse stolen. Someone who took their passport on a snorkeling excursion and lost it overboard. Someone who took their passport to the beach and had it stolen from their towel.

That said, I never carry my passport off the ship or from the hotel if I am staying on land. I do have a scan of my passport and DH passport in my yahoo mail account in case I need a copy anywhere (there's internet). After reading this thread, I think I will scan both birth certificates and email them to myself too.

Maybe it was like the apologies politicians give. "I am sorry you got upset by what I said." Not that they were sorry they said it. So Carnival could have said something like "I am sorry you missed the boat but I am glad we were able to get you back to the US." An apology?

If their passports were on the Glory in Pt Canaveral, it wouldn't help coming back into Miami on the Destiny. But, I am sure something like this happens 10 times a day (or more) at the immigration office. I imagine it would take more than the few minutes it normally takes, but, I am sure that you could get in. Someone who carried their passport around a foreign city and had their purse stolen. Someone who took their passport on a snorkeling excursion and lost it overboard. Someone who took their passport to the beach and had it stolen from their towel.

That said, I never carry my passport off the ship or from the hotel if I am staying on land. I do have a scan of my passport and DH passport in my yahoo mail account in case I need a copy anywhere (there's internet). After reading this thread, I think I will scan both birth certificates and email them to myself too.

hmmm,, i like the idea of scanning them and storing them securely online somewhere.. certainly can't hurt! good idea

As someone who was in a foreign country and had a passport taken I can assure you, not just a few minutes :) (ETA: I misread your post actually so this statement doesn't really apply, I agree, since passports aren't required for the closed loop cruises, arriving on a boat isn't probably going to take a lot more time. I had misunderstood your post to mean that losing a passport would only add a few minutes on at the embassy.)

I do carry my passport but would never leave it unsecured and never ever in a purse. You would have to physically attack me to get it from me (or my husband).

The email is an excellent suggestion and we do both, always have a physical copy and we scan all travel documents and have them uploaded to a secure server.

It is tough though because clearly I have my opinion on the risk and everyone else has theirs.

Been on many Carnival excursions...........never once have we ever seen where their instructions are confusing as to when and where. It's clear as a bell what to do, and when. Having a watch helps.

But when people want to wander aimlessly while perhaps getting loaded, what's a cruiseline to do ? Treat them like school children ? Hold up the captain and 2,000 customers ?

Bye Bye, whiners....................

I have been on 8 cruises and will be going on my 9th cruise. Not once have I been left behind. I always make sure we are back an hour before the ships leaves. We have cut it close a couple of times.

It amazes me how people still get left behind. It just they are not paying attention. Once my husbands son and his wife were on a cruise with her family. They went on a ship excursion which was late and the ship did wait for them because the excursion it self was late... I think they were late by an hour.

Socially - I agree. I never carry my passport in my purse! I have a "passport necklace." :) I tuck the necklace into my shirt - so there is no way a pick pocket could get that! - LOL.

I helped chaperone a group of high school seniors on a trip to Italy last summer. We made sure all the kids wore these "necklaces" and put valuables in fanny packs - worn to the front.

That caution really paid off, too when we used public transportation :D

I had to laugh when I read the husband's comment's about wanting his balcony night and dinner! Having just got off the Sensation yesterday which includes a stop in Nassau - let me say they do NOT let you off the ship without a photo id and your sail/sigh card. Your photo id should be what you used to get on board - and if you have any common sense when traveling to a foreign country - closed loop or not - get a passport! Then when you get off the ship you have a lovely passport= photo id incase something happens - just like we all say!

And even if your Dolphin Encounter is running late - that does not mean your shuttle leaving Atlantis is - get back to the boat by depature time!

I have always wondered about this. Is a photocopy of your passport acceptable to get on board an airline or do anything else? It would seem that with all the new homeland security stuff going on, a photocopy of a passport would not suffice.

No, the photocopy would not be sufficient in instances where it is mandatory to produce a valid passport. A passport is not needed to travel around on a island for day when you are cruising or traveling but many people feel more secure having some form of identification on them. Instead of carrying your original passport and risk having it lost or stolen, a copy is a wonderful form of ID in case of an emergency.

Archived